Redoing Sounds

Nameless

most of you probably agree with me when i say the weapons etc sound is very poor and the voices can be downright annoying.

ive already started looking for alternative weapon sounds yet the problem is i can only find a single shot sound while UFO:AM requires both burst and single shot.

ive managed to put a few single shots behind eachother and saving it in a new .wav file with fruity loops 4.0 and though it sounds better than the original sound its still not great. other problem is that fruity loops makes the file some 200kb/s while the original files are all around 20/30 kb.

i think il be able to solve that though by editing some settings, ending up in a reasonable weapon sound pack, il also recompile it in a new cfg.vfs file to see if what martin says works!

it still has a lot of work to be done though, realistic gun sounds arent too easy to find.

The real problem are the voices. UFO:AM has a lot of different situation for which it needs a speach file. its very hard to find 55 files with matching voice needed per character, and theres a total of 1756 speech files :S. The only option i see is recording new ones, but i only have a low quality crap mic and no real experience in recording and editing voices, im good at faking accents though :rolleyes:

it would take extremely long to do and require massive amounts of work, and offcourse it would be a 58 mb download (thats the directory size now).

i dont really think its an option at all.

i hope il be finishing the weapon pack this week or the next, i intend on getting rainbow six rogue spear somewhere and hopefully it will have a gun sound folder with useable files :tank:.

but as for the voices, any volenteers?

all speech files can be found in:

Ufo aftermath/gamedata/share/sound/wavs/exlamations

and are sorted by accent and gender

I agree that the weapon sounds are poor, and this too me is a big factor that impacts this game. The atmosphere is well setup with the scenes and plot and all that.. even the music is rather good.. but the soundeffects really puts me of then playing. Anyway, im also in the works of a sound replace mod, it will feature some of the best weapon sounds i've managed to both find and reproduce through out the years. I've been making "enhancement" mods for a few years now, and i'll use some of my previous work used in both quake and other game paks. My initial plans are just to fix up the soundeffects, i will not take the challenge to remake all the voices ;o) It's a big task but would be nice if it was possible.. i mean, hello.. i turned off the unit voices about 5 sec into the game. hehe. Keep up the work "Nameless" we really need to get some new sounds ;o)

well gurkoz is doing the weapon mod now, as he is in a better position to do so and theres no need for 2 weapon mods ^^

sigget: new characters and sounds shouldnt be too hard, we would just need to create a unique accent/nationality to the char and voila, new sounds.

try finding or producing good speach files though