Adding New Stuff?

inferno

since i downloaded the vfs packer i have been trying to see how easy it is to add new things like weapons etc... to start off i thought i would add new armor called disruptor armor (yes i know its from x-com). To make it simple all i have done is copied the bio armor and given it a new name.

My prob is im having a hard time getting it to show up in the game, i have edited a bunch of files which all containg something to do with bio armour, and added new entrys for my armor, but no luck.

Has anyone else been able to do it?

here are the files i have modified and created.

strategic\configs\r&d\ *all 3 files*

strategic\configs\ufopedia\listofglossary.txt

strategic\videos\ufopedia\ *added disruptor armour mfg.bik*

strategic\models\interface\ufopedia\video\ *added disruptor armour mfg.txt*

strategic\models\interface\r&d\video\ *added disruptor armour mfg.txt*

strategic\textures\interface\r&d\anim\technology\ *added disruptor armour mfg.anim*

strategic\textures\interface\ufopedia\anim\ *added disruptor armour mfg.anim*

tactical\configs\game\listofarmor.txt

tactical\textures\alien_shield\ *added new folder with textures \02-purple\*

tactical\textures\alien_shield\ *added alien_shield02-purple.anim*

tactical\models\effects\alien_shield\ *added alien_shield02-purple.txt*

Can anyone tell me if i have missed some files or to check that a certain thing is modified etc. I will keep u updated with my progress.

ok just a quick update. it seems that i was packing it wrong. u have to put the tactical folder and strategic folder in another one i.e mod, then pack it to over write the ones in the gamedata.vfs. Now when i load the game it crashes so i guess im getting abit further. Now to find out y its crashing.

My tool should be able to add new files, its designed to do this. I have to admit it didnt go through enough testing before i released it. Ill just have to do some more tests and see what the problems could be.

Dont hesitate on giving me error reports.

// sigget

argh, how frustrating this is, i should've fixed this several days ago, when you first complained about it fnurg :rolleyes: the code reads sorta like this:

if( exists(filename) )

delete(filename);

f=create(filename)

write(f,data)

close(f);

as you see there shouldnt be any trouble... maybe this has some connection to the fields we havent cracked yet...

absolutely, ive built vfs's from scratch and browsed them using my beta gui tool, i didnt have the game read them though. looking forward to hours of debugging :-/

my library is complete enough to allow for full editing of the vfs files, after all i built it primarily for my GUI tool. so renaming, deleteing, moving, extraction of individual files is all there... it even has support for file locks :-D

damn that unknown1 ! :rolleyes:

ok i also edited file in localizationpack.vfs and used sigget's tool to insert it back in. now i get this message

ver: UFO:AM RELEASE 1.2 file C:\ufo_src\ASL\kvfs.cpp line:116 "Localization/LocalizationPack.vfs": bad CRC

Sigget do u know what this could be? i haven't added any new files just modified a file by added text. is this CRC check anything to do with file size cause its gone from 188kb to 189kb?

hehe u know what i knew i forgot something ???

anyhow here is my latest info. i can load a mission but something strange has happend. on some of my men, their health bar has stretched accross the screen.

if i load the game the other way to the geosphere, it crashe once it gets to 100%

i think i may have to undo what i have done and try again but do it more at one step at a time. oh and creating a new game don't work either.