Following the Night

Following the Night

Chapter I Weather

"I know what your wondering, How did I survive? Its the first question everyone wants to ask. Don't worry, I'm not like the others, I'm a story teller at heart. Sit down there and I'll tell you and your friend my story. Two more children came running from behind a medical table. He began "It was may 25." He could see the recognition on the children's faces.

On June 1, 2004, Brian Young was working on his computer when the phone rang. "I'll get it" yelled Hope as she put the dish towel on the back of the chair. "Hello" she said and immediately regretted answering the phone. She spoke softly "It's him again dear" Brian took the phone from his wife and was ready to have words with Mr. Lindsay. "Hello Mr. Lindsey I told you... What's that?, oh, ok I'll be over as soon as I can. Ok Mr. Lindsey. Why? Oh, whatever, I'll bring them. What? The dog too. Ok, if you are really going through with this."

Brain stared for a second then looked up at his wife "Sorry dear but I need to get over to the Lindsey's house, seems his youngest tripped while going in the bomb shelter and broke a leg. He wants me to set the bone before they lock themselves in the shelter." Hope's face twisted a little as she exclaimed "That's just the kind of trick I would expect from that backwoods..." Brian interrupted her "Engineer. Now dear, he sounded very sincere, and besides he asked me to bring the whole family." She gave him a half smile "Why didn't you say so, I'll get Nicole".

Brian was a doctor that truly put his patients before himself. And though his real job was in Nashville, he spent a large amount of time in his own community believing fully in the "Help they neighbor" mentality. This day was just one more example of the doctor's generosity. Only one thing was different, the sky. A strange phenomenon had developed in the world, the whole sky had darkened. The scientists of the world were doing everything they could to determine a cure for the earth's skies. But Brian and his family had refused to let it effect their lives. Yet, as they left their house they couldn't help but feel anxiety, knowing that it should be daylight at that time of day.

It hadn't rained since the sky darkened. The temperatures continued to drop each day. The news continually gave statistics using words like "at this rate", "what if" and "worst case scenario". People around the word hated the news as it discussed there fate. The correspondents words beat at them and quickened their hearts. Yet the people were drawn to their telecasts wishing to find a glimmer of hope from somewhere in the world. So when it was announced that it was snowing in the Alps, they all listened. Then places all over the world began to experience the strange snow too. People rejoiced, others sat quietly, still others ran outside to see when their part of the world would be receiving this gift.

As the Young family drove the last mile (1.6 kilometers) toward the Lindsey family's residence, Brian noticed large gray flakes hitting the windshield of their Land Rover. In the darkness they seemed very much like snow but blew off the window as soon as they hit. He hoped the pattering sound wouldn't scare his seven year old daughter. But at the moment it seemed to be having the opposite effect. She laughed and could only talk about how great it was that the sky would soon be back to normal. "Wow, that snow stuff is really building up fast out there. Brian, Brian did you hear me?" Brian looked up at his wife "Sorry dear, it's just, I don't like this snow. It's not really snow you know and it's really piling up like you say. Maybe we should stay with the Lindsey's." His wife gave him her classic look and said "Like we have a choice with the roads in this shape."

The next two minutes seemed like twenty as they finally came to a stop under Mr. Lindsey's car port. They quickly jumped out of the Rover and headed to the house. Brian noticed the something was making his throat very dry as he knock very loudly on the door. "They must already be in the shelter dear. We'll never find it with the ground covered like this." They spent five anxious minutes before Mr. Lindsey came trotting through the now over a foot high snow stuff. "Hello Mr. Young, if you will kindly follow me." Said Ted Lindsey in a "Ha, I told you" manor. Yelps, the Young's Yellow Labrador had to be carried and was putting up a great deal of fuss the whole time. It was only after they reached the heavy door which led inside the shelter, that he could be put down.

The family and Ted entered the the first small room. Ted quickly locked a small dead bolt and lowered a hugh steel beam into place. Ted smiled as he pushed the keys down a small chute. He pointed at the door and mumbled something about it being everything but tank proof.

Brian suddenly realized that he could no longer exit the shelter. Ted got everyone's attention in order to explain the entrance procedure "Now I've been thinking about this for the past hour and I guess the best way to do it is for everyone to face a different direction." everyone's puzzled looks prompted him to explain the entire decontamination process. It took another ten minutes to convince Hope that it was necessary. Then they all put their clothes down the small chute and showered with soap. Finishing, the women were allowed to enter first. Linda Lindsey waited inside with towels. "Sorry about that dears, lets get you two dried off and in some clean clothes".

The men entered already discussing their situation. "what is that stuff Ted?" asked Brian. " The older man shook his head and raised his hands " I don't know Brain, maybe snow and dust, maybe something never seen before. Who knows, maybe it's what killed the dinosaurs." Brian refocused from drying himself to his new abode. " What about this shelter Ted, how long can we stay here? ". Ted lowered his head and picked up his thin wire framed glasses. Cleaning them he said " Look Brian, this shelter was designed for me and my family to last for months. If this...uuuh... problem doesn't stick around to long we should be able to last through it just fine. I am worried about my air intake though. The filters could become quickly clogged if this stuff keeps snowing down at the rate it's going. Don't tell the women. We'll deal with that problem if it becomes a problem."

The men finished dressing and everyone sat in the central room. This fourteen by twenty living space had a small kitchen and enough couches and chairs for everyone. The television had cable, satellite and standard VHF hookup. A rather expensive looking computer sat on a desk at the north side of the room. It also had cable hookup as well as dial up. A gas stove sat on the south side of the room next to the large and small generators. The stove, oven, water heater and generators received their fuel from a large tank buried some distance from the shelter. The ceiling was ten feet high and two large columns ran from floor to ceiling on the middle east and middle west sides of the room. The walls appeared to be normal sheet rock. The floor was tongue and groove over hardened concrete.

Ted explained that there were four main rooms. This main living room, a bedroom with a wash and change area, a machine/storage room and a pantry/storage room. He went on to explain how the shelter sat in a natural depression on the side of a hill and other technical features which would have insured the families survival in the event of a nuclear war.

Only Brian listened as Ted proudly stated the facts about this specialized shelter. Brian was starting to become disinterested in all the structural jargon when Ted began explaining about the communication systems and outside spy cameras. Brian had to interrupt him " Ted, lets get online and see if we can find any news. Also I would like to take a look outside if we can." The women were already monitoring the television. Satellites hadn't functioned well lately and most other stations displayed Emergency broadcasts. So much information and yet no answers.

Ted managed to get spy cam two up and running. "Look how deep it already is Brian" The concern in Ted's voice alarmed the children. "Calm down Te.. My goodness. Where is this camera stationed?" asked Brain in a drained voice. "On top of the telephone pole, this stuff has already reached the roof line of my house." The women were now standing behind them with looks of astonishment. Hope kept telling herself not to cry. She always hated that stereotype about women being weak, but right now she could only barely hold back the tears. Mrs. Lindsey was doing better, it was evident that the years with Mr. Lindsey had prepared her somewhat for disaster. Still, the anxiety in the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

The air system that Ted had designed was intended to raise the air intake above any ash generated during a nuclear attack. Also Since the hill dropped sharply more than 100 (39.5 meters) to a creek, he was afraid that byproducts might collect in the valley.

The intake could be raised an additional ten feet by a pipe that attached to the bottom of the intake raiser. The raiser ran into an ingenious filtration system designed by Ted for NASA. In other words, NASA unwittingly funded Ted's shelter filtration system. From the surface the intake could not be seen as it ran up the side of a pole that carried power to Ted's back field. Should it be extended the pole would become visible but who would be around to see it.

Ted looked at Brian "We need to elevate the air intake, it's still above the stuff for the time being, but I'm afraid it won't be for long". They hadn't more than opened the machine room door when the strange noises began coming from the filtering machine. It felt like a race against time as they pulled the large jack out. Ted put the clamp on the upper part of the pipe and pulled out a cutting torch. He then cut it all the way around and cooled it with some ice that the women brought. Ted pulled the pipe apart and Brian quickly capped both open ends. Brain raised the pipe as much as he could with the high lift jack, while ted took up slack on the cable that led to the clamp.

They raised and welded on the three extensions and even managed to come up with two more sections from plumbing supplies. The total was fifteen feet (4.5 meters). Ted told them all to cross their fingers and hope that the storm abated soon.

Cable went dead an hour later. Linda quickly switched over to the broadcast channels only to find that chaos was ensuing at each station. People could be seen at times, mostly panicking, some praying and some were still trying to organize the people and read messages. All the messages were the same, the gray stuff falling from the sky irritates the lungs and has caused many deaths. It was also at this time that Ted's last camera was covered over. Everyone felt very alone and wondered if it was the end of all things.

Two hours later with no transmissions coming in from anywhere. "Try to get some sleep honey" said Hope, not really wanting him to but thinking it was the right thing to say. "I just can't dear" began Brian, "I couldn't if I tried. I have been such an optimist up until now, but all I keep thinking about is how little chance we have. No, I will stay up and Nicole can too if she wants. I love you two so much, I won't be apart from you now." So the the three of them sat on the floor, in front of the couch, deep underground. And Over the next five hours, they each drifted to sleep.

Chapter II Sheltered

Three days later Brian began to reflect back on their dilemma. While he had some security in the thought that the stuff must have stopped falling by now, he found that he had many unanswered questions. What is the stuff?, where did it come from?, will it go away?, and how long would it take?. But something else was bothering him. Why was he alive?, he and his family that is. Why of all Ted's neighbors did they get a chance for survival. Brian was just about to ask that very question when Ted yelled "Come look Brian".

Ted was sitting in front of the computer looking at a fuzzy image outside. "Camera Two" was all Ted said. They were witnessing what looked like a fog on top of a gray snow. The air was filled with the a gray dust like fog. The wind appeared to blowing and causing the gray snow stuff to swirl around the camera uncovering it even more.

Ted looked up at the clock and pointed. Brian watched him walk away knowing that Ted would now run though his check list. Everyone was used to the ritual by now. Nicole even ran over to him to help, follow shortly by Teddy jr. Brian had to smile thinking how easy this had been on the kids. Teddy, who was seven and a half, had become very fond of Nicole and spent most of the day following her around. Freddi, the youngest, four, laughed and played much of the time, he also had become best pals with Yelps the dog. Finally there was Christopher, who liked to be called Chris, he probably had the hardest time. He was fourteen and was just finding out about girls and parents and other teen problems when this happened. He had been very quiet and spent much of his time alone. Still, you could tell he was very grateful to be alive and he loved his family very much.

Life that first week was spent just trying to get used to living with each other. But as the week wore on the eight people and one dog began to get into a rhythm. Responsibilities were handed out and accepted. Small emergencies presented themselves and the two families worked together to solve each one. The food was great since only the parable goods were eaten. All the freeze dried and nonperishable goods would be needed later.

"Sixteen days and counting" said Chris as he made a mark on the calendar. Calendar time thought Brian, it means it's camera time too. Watching the Gray on camera two had become almost unbearable. The new routine was to check it every day at 12 o'clock. Brian double clicked on the camera program and waited. He was not surprised to see the gray, he was surprised to see what looked like a trail running though it. Calling the others over they began to question what this new feature could mean. After about an hour without change they gave it up and sat down for lunch.

Chris asked what everyone had been wondering "How long can we stay here dad, until we start running out of stuff". Ted's eyes darted to the three small children and smiled "Oh, a long time son, a very long time." The conversations during meal times stayed pretty low key as nobody wanted to talk about their past lives. Instead they would discuss things such as what the children did today and the trail they saw on the outside camera. But Brian had been noticing a change, nerves were a little more on edge. Conversation was very dry and the whole structure seem somehow smaller. It was time for a change he decided.

It just so happened that Teddy's birthday was coming up. So after dinner Brian got the adults together to plan for the big day. As he described what he had in mind, he could tell that it was the right thing. Smiles grew on the others faces and for the next three days it remained the topic of conversation. Only chris was let in on the secret, and it was his job to keep the children busy while the parents planned and prepared. The shelter had new life, the attitudes were transformed and even though the children didn't know why, they were happier too.

"Twenty five days, did you here me dad, twenty five!. Oh, and tonight is bingo night." The mood was still pretty good. The birthday party had been a great success. The whole shelter and everyone in it felt closer that day than at any other point. More importantly the families had learned a hugh lesson. Now they kept a calendar of events with few days between each.

Ted had been spending more time with his fancy filtering device and had even went into the sealed room with it. He wore what appeared to be an expensive looking painters mask. "So Ted what's the prognosis." Brian watched but Ted looked down, lost in thought. "Something wrong with the filter?". Ted looked up "No, not really. Here look at this." Ted raised a gloved hand, on it was what appeared to be fluff surrounding a seed. As Ted started taking his glove off he said "Ow, that stung". Looking at his hand ted could see three little pin holes. The holes were in the part on his hand that was under the fluff seed. Ted started shaking as if afraid of his new find. Brian grabbed the glove and placed it on a table in the sleep quarters.

"First let me see your hand Ted." Ted gave him his hand. Brian pulled the large articulating magnifying glass over Ted's hand. "I can't see any problems Ted, I don't think there was any harm done." Ted took his hand back and scratched it. "Well it sure itches. Lets get rid of that thing." Brian was busy adjusting his magnifying glass over the fluff. He Said " No way, we must find out as much as we can about these things." Ted walked away and came back with a small lock box from which he removed several expensive looking items. "Here, use this when your not watching the thing. I don't want it floating about." Ted walked off again. He spent the next hour checking his clothes and the shelter for any rough fluff balls.

"Twenty eight days, did you hear me. Sheesh, nobody even listens anymore" said Chris smiling. Ted went to check his machines, his hand had healed without complications. Brian went to check the camera. It was Linda's turn to make dinner. Hope was schooling the young children. Brian couldn't wait to share the good news but decided to tell everyone at lunch. Good conversation was a great commodity. So after the blessing and plate filling he asked the leading question. "Well, isn't anyone going to ask if there was anything new on the camera?" His wife looked up and smiled "Ok, I'll bite, was there anything new today dear?" Brian shrugged his shoulders and in a disinterested way and said "No". Hope gave him a mean look. "Unless you consider the fluff level has dropped."

The adults picked up there plates and headed to the computer desk. Brian brought up the image though it was hard to see any difference. "How do you know it's dropping dear" asked Hope. "Because, your looking through camera three, not camera two." The women gasp as one and then cheered as Ted smiled. The kids came running over, jumping and laughing. They didn't care why, they were just joining in the fun. "How fast is it dropping?" asked Linda trying not to let the jumping kids hurt her. " Seems to be dropping a few feet a day. I'll know more by tomorrow, I've marked the image so we can check for differences.

Spirits were high, higher than they had been in two weeks. The air seemed less stuffy, the food tasted better. They allotted half again as much food as before, believing the end of their captivity would soon be over. The adults spent much of their time brain storming what precautions they needed to take when the stuff dissipated. It was a very serious and yet hopeful time.

Brian updated everyone on his experiments. " First I just watched it day to day. It appeared to be having a chemical reaction with the leather in the glove. I even saw it move once. Almost jumped out of my skin. And the box stays warm, so it must be generating heat. With Ted's permission I collected several more samples from the filter room with Linda's tongs." Linda just rolled her eyes as Ted and Brian laughed a little. Taking these new samples, I placed them on other materials. Materials such as food, cloth, rubber, plastic and metal." Brian's face became very grim at this point. " What I discovered, as I've already told Hope, is that it has a chemical reaction with any organic substance."

Brian let this information sink in as he reached down and picked up the lock box. He opened it saying " But what's more disturbing is this, look". There, amid the discolored Broccoli, wood and gloves, stood a small dark brown ovalish creature moving slowly back and forth.

Wearing Linda's rubber kitchen gloves, Brian lifted the creature out of the box. "What is it?" Asked Linda and Hope at the same time. "This was once three small potatoes." The creature seemed to react to Brian's touch but did nothing more than tap against the side of his finger. " What the Hey" said Ted in a strong voice. "Do you realize what this means?". "Yes" Brian had to admit "We don't know what kind of strange mutations may have taken place outside, We are going to have to use every precaution before leaving. Also, I suggest we continue living in the shelter as we explore." Brian had no more than finished when Ted voiced "Here here".

"Ok, the stuff will be gone in about two days, I say we give it another three days after that before we step foot outside. Agreed?". Everyone agreed with Brian's plan. And so for the next five days the families spent their time making preparations for the first scouting mission.

Chapter III Environment

"Ok Ted, I'm opening the inner door." Said Brian as he looked back at his concerned family. Ted stopped, checking his 9 mm Glock 17 and moved up to the door. Picking up an Ak-47 off the table he let Brian know he was ready. Brian carried another of Ted's Ak-47s, fully automatic. Ted owned three in all as well as a Remington 270 hunting rifle, twelve and twenty gauge shotguns, a container holding ten sticks of dynamite and twelve assorted hand guns.

Ted was saying "I wish I had went ahead and ordered that sniper rifle when I had the chance." while Brian opened the inner door. Brian aimed his weapon at the outer door and released the safety. "We have all the firepower we need right here Ted. Good choice of weapons, I hear this is the most rugged gun in the world." Ted looked up " It's a matter of taste, I fired one of these once and fell in love with them.". Brian would have chosen the hunting rifle but Ted quickly corrected his poor judgment. Ted closed the inner door and turned around. "Ok, here we go." Ted almost whispered, as if something outside might be listening.

The door opened with a creak, they could immediately taste the fresh air. The sky was dark and the color of the world just didn't seem right. The air was warm and moist and a slight breeze could be felt. Brian began to get goose bumps, "Something just doesn't feel right Ted." Ted looked up " I know, it's the noise, there's no noise, None." The whole scene was giving Brian the creeps. " Lets check out the house and property and call it a day." Ted gave him a surprised look, then gave him a nod of approval. " Remind me to get some canned food from the pantry".

From then on they walked in silence. First they checked out the shed then the small field around the shelter entrance. Finally the men followed the path to the top of the hill. Ted took out his two-way "Can you see us Linda?". "Yes, we have you on camera one" it was Hope's voice. "Great, keep watch over us." The two-way system was good for about five miles, the base station in the shelter received signals from an above ground antenna. Ted also had a Ham radio system, but it had stopped functioning about the time they entered the shelter.

The men walked to the corner of the yard. "Look Brian, what's that?". Brian Walked around Ted to get into view. On the ground lay a mass of what could only be called flesh. Brain bent over and began studying it. He prodded it with a stick, the meat was hard and dry. "By the size of its teeth the shape of this one foot, I think it used to be a squirrel." "What the, what's happened to it?" said Ted with a look of disgust on his face. "I won't know anything until I have the proper equipment" answered Brian flipping the carcass over. "Lets move on". Brian got up wishing he had brought the digital camera.

They made a circle around the house and didn't see any sign of life, only a few dead piles of flesh. Brian stopped at each one and made some notes. As they headed for the door Brian thought he saw something. Stopping he raised his weapon. "What did you see?" Asked Ted quietly. "I don't know. Maybe nothing.". After an hour of being outside, they had come to realize that this strange atmosphere was very conducive to mistaken sightings. " They worked their way closer to the house. "There, I know I saw it that time" Brian advanced quickly to the side of the house. On the wall was what could only be described as a twenty legged spider. Brian captured it in a sealable freezer bag.

Ted's home was a large two story house covered with white siding. He had always been proud of his large front porch which had four rocking chairs and a swing. Ted walked up to the front door and unlocked it. Entering they found everything inside to be covered with a light dust. They proceeded to check each room. Finally they made their way to the kitchen and put some of the canned goods in a plastic bag. "Lets leave through the side door" said Ted walking in that direction. As Ted exited the doorway all he could see was claws.

Brian saw a strange object drop down on Ted's head. First he raised his gun, then thought better of it. He lowered the weapon and moved forward smacking it as hard as he could with his hand. The small attacker was sent flying into the woodpile. It bounced off the wood and seemed dazed. Then it charged again. Ted was ready for it this time and somehow managed to catch it under his boot. Claws scraped on leather to no effect. Before it could work itself loose the 9 mm unleashed it fury. Ted shot it until it stopped moving, his face completely flushed.

Brian studied the clawed creature closely. But after a while Ted put a hand on Brian's shoulder. Brian understood and got up. They headed straight for the shelter. As they neared the shelter the sound of sticks breaking could be heard. How far off they couldn't tell. They stopped "Probably just the wind." Said Ted. Then the men marched double time back to the shelter. Only after the door was closed behind them did they allow themselves to relax.

They discussed there whole adventure with the family as they took off their gear. Brian was upset to find that his spider had somehow made a hole in the bag and escaped. He looked around a bit but decided not the worry the others. He was sure it had escaped outside. Ted had been recounting his confrontation with the clawed creature. "What kind of creature was it?" asked Chris. "I'm not sure" said Brian "maybe a cat or... something small as a cat". "Now dear" began Hope, "I think the children have heard quite enough for one day. I see you brought us some goodies from the kitchen, why don't we have a early supper tonight." The worry she felt was hidden well. She always could put on a good front.

The next day the adults woke early. Guns in hand, the men walked up to the inner door. As Brian opened the door he gasped. The entire entry chamber was criss-crossed with spider webs. he couldn't even see the exit door. "Watch for that spider everyone. Don't let it get in the shelter." "What spider?" asked Linda. "No time, there is a twenty legged spider, step on it if you see it." Using the broom Brian began carefully peeling back the layers. A loud whoosh noise made him jump back. Chris had the CO2 extinguisher in his hand and was spraying the webbing high to the right. Something fell to the floor. Someone stepped on it.

The men spent the better part of the day hauling supplies from the house to the shelter and checking the vehicles. All three vehicles were strangely misfiring. It made a lot of noise and attracted several varieties of mutants.

The mole creatures dug holes around the vehicles but did little else. The tiny winged bat creatures caused more of a stir as several of them smashed in the vehicle windows and left quite a mess. By far the worst was an obviously mutated dog. The poor thing could barely walk with only two misshapen legs, its jaw was massive which gave it a fearsome appearance. Ted had pity on the beast and shot it once through the head.

Later that day the men began work on the HAM radio problem while Hope and chris stood watch on top of the hill. They had been watching for some time when they struck up a conversation. Hope was very pretty and had a very positive attitude. She really brightened a otherwise dreadful experience. Chris talked to her about his fears and future. He even asked a few questions about love and girls. Hope assured him that they would find others and not to ever lose hope. chris said " Well I'm sure we won't lose you." But before Hope could understand his little joke a strange scene appeared walking two fields over.

Hope quickly notified Ted. The men came running over. The huge beast was hard to view well in the setting sun. One thing was for sure, it was heading straight at them. " I say we make a tactical withdrawal." Said Ted nervously holding his weapon. "Ted's right, that thing could be dangerous." Said Hope leaving for the shelter door. But Brian decided to stay a while. " Lets go Brian" said Ted. Brian shook his head "I just want to get a better look at it, I'll be down in a second." Ted gave him a wise look "Brian, how fast is it? Can it jump? Can it sneak? Is there more than one? It's dark, chances are better taken in the light.". With that Brian followed Ted.

As they entered the safety of the shelter, Brian stopped Ted. "I was just thinking about that dog creature today. And what..." "Yes Brian go on" " Well, if the mutations happen to all organic life, I can't help but fear the outcome of any human mutations". Ted had no words for him, he just patted him on the shoulder and turned to enter the shelter.

That night the men sat and talked with the wives. Ted started " I need to tell you some things that are very important. Number one, Linda is as beautiful as the day I met her. Number two, the Ham is out of commission but I think it can be repaired. We'll need to make a trip to D&R's Electrical Supply House. It's on the corner of Main and Hwy 52. The way I see it, me and Brain can leave early in the morning before the children wake." Hope just had to stop him there "Wait a minute there Ted. We are not waiting behind while you two run around town. Have you ever watched the horror movies, Never split up." Linda quickly jumped in, "She's right, where would we be without you two, I say we all go or nobody goes."

After a two hour deliberation the women won. Even the children would be along, though they would stay in the vehicle. Everyone got up to leave the table but Linda, she said to Ted "Now we need to discuss that first important subject". Ted was a bit puzzled at first but quickly understood when she pulled him close. "Oh that subject, yes that is an important subject". Hope and brian gathered the children for a game of Uno.

That next day the family packed up the two most reliable vehicles. The doctor's Land Rover and Ted's 1999 F-250 Power Stroke Diesel with crew cab. He had used it for hauling his fifth wheel trailer for their summer vacations. The diesel seemed to be having less trouble than the gas powered engine but After cleaning as much of the engines as was practical they were both running well. It seemed that the fine powder had clogged up everything and reached every nook and cranny.

After a final check of vehicles, equipment and personal ( bathroom visits ) They drove down Ted's long driveway and away from their harbor of safety.

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter IV Parts

The roadway was clogged with the debris left behind by weeks of neglect. The wind storms had taken their toll on the trees that lined the once beautiful, Treasure Drive. They had to stop numerous times to remove objects from the roadway. After the fifth stop the trip became easier as fields lined both sides of the two lane road. The road wound its way around the Tennessee hills and down to the medium sized city of Springfield. Both families had found the drive breath taking and it was one of the reasons they moved there.

Nicole's scream jarred Brian's senses causing him to swerve a bit. Hope yelled "Faster dear, Faster" Her sweet voice tinged with fear. Brian's foot instinctive went for the break, but he quickly stopped then mashed the gas to the floor. Nicole started crying as a loud metallic thud could be heard. Something had hit the vehicle. Hope kept looking back and at Brian, then looking all around. Between the crying and Hope's frantic descriptions of something she had seen, Brian managed to take a quick peek into his mirror.

It's shape was vaguely human. And at their current distance one might even believe it to be a large man. Except for one thing, it had a strange growth attached to it's torso where the head should be.

Brian's attention was quickly brought back inside the vehicle when his two-way radio came to life. "What's going on Brian?" asked Ted who had just watched the other vehicle speed past him. "Ted, catch up with us, no time to explain." Brian concentrated on his driving, not wanting to stop for any reason. A mile (1.62 kilometers) down the road they came to a large field. Brian stopped the Rover to explain everything to Ted. The wide open area provided a relatively safe place to stop. Brian first regained his composure, then began explaining what he had seen.

As Ted listened he couldn't help but worry about the women and children. "Should we even bring the others in to town Brian?." "I don't know Ted, I would hate to leave them here alone." Ted's face was red as he spoke more to himself then Brian "Why the heck did we even bring them here! Stupid stupid, I should have known it was to much of a risk" Brian could see how frustrated he was and allowed him to rant a bit before grabbing his arm. "We all knew there might be risks, we made a choice. Now lets focus on our situation and not make anymore uh, problems for ourselves." Ted almost smiled at Brian's carefully chosen words.

The families decided to enter town together and only stop where necessary.

The sky's menacing colors cast a strange curtain over the town of Springfield, it made everything appear dull and grey. For Brian, it brought back memories of the old Twilight Zone and other 60's television shows. Debris crossed the road and traveled down deserted alleys and side streets.

Parking lots were filled with cars, their owners nowhere to be found. Brian wondered at the scene. Why did people wait until the last minute to get groceries before bad weather. Thoughts like this, he decided, were his brains weak attempts at denial.

Then Brian felt a shiver begin at his neck run down the length of his body. The thought that there were no longer any people to do silly things. No them at all, only we and us. He hadn't known that these scenes would affect him so strongly. He tried to hide his emotions only to see recognition in his wife's pretty face. She comforted him and found herself stronger than she knew.

The wind howled and whipped up dust devils near the old brick buildings. They were now entering the older part of Springfield where the town square would allow them passage to 3rd Ave. which became Hwy. 25.

The radio buzzed then Ted spoke "We're almost there. I'm going to drive once around the building, you can just park out front. 10-4?" "10-4 Ted" Brian shook his head thinking how ridiculous he must have sounded. He looked at Hope who was trying not to laugh. Nicole said "Mom's laughing at you Daddy." "I am not" said Hope with a big smile. The families banter went back a forth. Ted drove up with wide eyes. "Brian is there something in the car with you?" The Young family was forced to stop their play laughing at themselves. "No Ted, the only monsters in here are a woman and a girl." Of course that started the tussle all over again.

The weapon looked unwieldy in Hope's hands. The double barreled shotgun was sawed off in a can't-miss fashion. She had been instructed to brace it against the truck and pull one trigger at a time.

Linda looked more comfortable with her semi-automatic 12 ga. The regular hunting shells had been replaced with 4 lead rounds choked for a smaller pattern. Chris sported a Remington 243. This was Chris's personal hunting rifle and the only rifle he had experience with. All three stood watch over the vehicles while the men went inside.

Brian and Ted entered the electrical store with lively steps but slowed as the opportunities for ambush became apparent. "Where are the wire spools Ted?" asked Brian heading for the back of the store. "In the back" yelled Ted then searched for the radio parts section. Ted cursed himself for not writing down a list of items and settled for stuffing every part on shelf in a large plastic bag. Ten minutes later they were finishing with their purchases.

They had been standing there for a while to make sure they hadn't forgotten anything when they heard the shotgun blast. They looked at each other for a second. "Both barrels" Said Ted as they turned to leave. Halfway to the door they heard a noise behind them. Brian turned to look, he could see the store's rear door open and close but couldn't see over the shelves enough to tell what was opening it. They ran.

Reaching the street at full speed they found Hope frantically trying to reload her weapon while the others stood guard. Fifteen feet from her laid a horridly misshapen human. It's small abdomen blown apart with such force that only a hint at a backbone kept it in one piece. Ted held his weapon with all the strength that adrenaline provided and pointed it squarely at the hardware store's door. Brian barked orders and ushered everyone else to their vehicles. Hope waited by her door, shaking slightly. Brian pried the shotgun out of her hands and helped her into the Rover.

Just then several of the strange humanoid creatures unwittingly exited the store. Ted's world had became slow motion. The death spitting Ak 47 seemed to fire on its own. The empty shell casings flew, tumbling in the air, each landing with it's own unique little dance. First holes appeared in each of the three creatures. Soon blood and flesh cascaded in all directions. The gun fire stopped after thirty rounds. The only sound that remain was the last of the shell casings bouncing on the pavement.

Ted, half in a daze, reached down to pick up his casings like he had always done. Brian grabbed him sharply and hurried him to his vehicle where Linda was already moving to the drivers seat. Brian ran back to the Rover and jumped in. He turned it around so sharply the back wheels spun. They headed out of town at breakneck speed until Hope began softly pleading for Brian to slow down. Slowly, fear was replaced with wisdom and they headed back home at a respectable pace.

Chapter V Reality

The drive back had been uneventful, which was a blessing since everyone's nerves were stretched like a gum bubble about to burst. Brian knew that something would have to be done. The families just could not cope with the effects of combat like soldiers. They would need training. They would need an edge, a confidence and they needed it quick. First, he would let everyone know that he had a plan. Then he would engineer some way of toughening up their psyche's.

He paused letting his own thoughts to let a little reality slip in. "Oh, who am I kidding" he began thinking. "We're urban white collar workers. We've lived in a world of ease most of our lives. It's going to take time, time we don't have". But before he could further depress himself they came upon Ted's driveway. Seeing the driveway brightened his spirits a little. "At least we have the shelter." He said under his breath.

They pulled up to Ted's house cautiously. "Doesn't seem to be anything out of place." Said Ted as he put the Ford in park. Brian's voice came over the radio " I'll take a quick look around before everyone gets out ". Ted could see Brian exit his Rover then head for the small barn. Ted stepped out of the Ford and placed his assault rifle on the hood. As Brian rounded the corner of the barn the other family members began stepping out, each prepared to jump back in if danger showed.

Suddenly Brian came sprinting back as fast as Hope had ever seen him run. She struggled to get Nicole back in the Rover. Meanwhile Ted watched as a long legged beast appeared right behind Brian. "I can't fire, they're to close" thought Ted. The Monster was only slightly faster than Brian, it's long skinny legs were a little unsteady. As they came closer Ted could see its dog like features, huge gaping mouth and large canine teeth. The beast was just reaching down to grab hold of Brian's calf when the shot rang out. Ted could see the large jaw explode causing the creature to bury his face in the ground. As the dog creature finished it's flip it was met by a hail of bullets from Ted's AK47.

Brian continued to run until he was at the Rover. "Give me the shotgun dear" He said excitedly. She had no more than handed him the weapon when another of the creatures appeared. This one was slightly larger but wasn't as fast. Ted's assault rifle tore into the creature's left front leg causing it to limp heavily. Then one appeared on the opposite side of the barn. Brian could hear Chris's rifle fire but he chose to wait until the beasts came closer.

While Ted was changing his clip it gave Linda a chance to exit the Ford. She joined her son and husband as several more dog creatures appeared. Through shotgun, Rifle and assault rifle fire some of the creatures managed to get within twenty feet of the vehicles. Brian opened up fully automatic. A moment later not a single creature from the pack could walk.

The sawed off shotgun made quick work of the few living creatures. Brian almost felt sorry for them as they struggled to move. The noises they made seemed almost dog like in their misery. After dispatching the last one, he began studying the mutants while the rest of the group unpacked and entered the shelter.

Brian went and retrieved a pad, baggies and camera. He then took tissue samples from several locations on the beasts and carefully placed them in separate labeled baggies. He tried to find evidence of what type dogs they had once been. His conclusion was that there were several different breeds present. The creatures seemed to be of different sizes according to which type of dog was mutated. Furthermore, he found the muscular features to mimic certain qualities of dog breeds. In fact one creature he positively identified as a Bassett Hound. It had a long snout and ears as well as an elongated body with shorter legs. But even more than that, when he squinted his eyes a little and didn't look directly at it he could see many features belonging to a Basset.

Brian was excited about his find as he entered the shelter. But what he found was everyone and everything lying about in the main room. He then decided that it would be in everyone's best interest if he postponed his research and allowed everyone have a break. Slowly he walked back to the entrance. He closed and locked the main steel door and placed the heavy bar into place.

Walking back to the family he announced that they would be staying indoors for a couple of days. Nobody argued, nobody wanted to go back out into the madness. Nobody was unaffected by the day's events.

Supper that day consisted of snacking and leftovers, it was long before everyone went to bed. Brian found it hard to sleep, his wife was making her funny snoring noises but that wasn't the reason. The horror of the day kept creeping up in his mind but that wasn't the reason. The reason he couldn't sleep was because he couldn't stop trying to think of a way to keep his family safe. He thought of his fearful daughter worrying about her father as the creature chased him. Tears welled up and made the sides of his face wet as they journeyed to his pillow. This made his nose stop up which didn't help him get to sleep.

"Screeeeeeam" from somewhere in the shelter. Brian hadn't realized he had even fallen asleep. "Who was that" he thought to himself as he shot straight up out of bed. But before he had a chance to do anything Linda could be heard consoling one of her sons. The two families were separated by a large wool cover suspended by a wire hanging in the center of the bedroom. Brian could hear Linda comfort Freddi and tell him it was only a dream. "Thank God for the women" thought Brian and he laid back down.

The next day was spent trying to forget the previous day. The adults tried to down play the events which scared everyone so much. Little Frieddi kept saying "Bad Doggies". And the rest of the children were in a sullen mood.

The families managed to play a few games and even had a small party. The day was uneventful and the fears dwindled some. Late in the day Brian and Ted had a chance to discuss the future of the two families.

"Ted we have got to be safer than the other day, we need to be more prepared and we need some training. We had very little planning and it showed. We were lucky and I doubt that we have seen the worst so far. We have got to do something. What do you think." Ted looked at the ground with chin in his hand. After a moment he looked up. "Well, Brian, your right of course, but I think our foremost concern is with the radio. Since we now have the means to fix it we should focus our energies on doing just that."

The two men discussed what they wanted to do and decided to start on the radio the next day. They shook hands and turned to walk away. Brian stopped Ted " I just wanted to thank you for.. well the thing is I never thanked you properly for shooting that dog beast before it could eat my leg off.

Ted laughed at brian's description, "Oh that" said Ted, "I didn't shoot it". Brian stood

motionless for a second "Yeah, if I had shot it, it would have been in full auto. I would have bagged you both. Chris shot it, he probably saved your life". You could hear the pride in Ted's voice even though he said it matter-of-factly.

Chapter VI Skyward

"Thirty Seven days! "yelled Chris, trying to keep up his enthusiasm. "I can't believe it's been that long since the whole thing started." thought chris. The night before he had overheard his dad speak to Brian about how he had shot the creature. So it wasn't surprising that his spirits were lifted.

The men had exited the shelter that morning to find mostly bright sunny day. While the sky was still tinted with that strange alien color, the atmosphere outside was at its best so far. They immediately started their first project.

Chris walked out of the shelter. Hope was standing about twenty feet up the slope holding one of Ted's 9 mm pistols. As Chris walked up the slope she quickly turned to see. " Don't walk up behind people with weapons silly" she said with a smile. "Do you want me to spell you for a while?" asked Chris. "No, I'm enjoying the weather for a change. Go ask Linda, she's been out here all day.".

Chris walked down the path leading to the barn. To his surprise he found that a new platform had been built right next to a telephone pole. The pole was used by Ted for various functions, one of which was to have the radio antenna held high. "Hey guys" yelled Chris, Brian and Ted waved and said hello but Linda continued to watch the surroundings. "Hey Linda, would you like me to spell you" Linda looked down at Chris as if making a decision. "Go on dear, we haven't seen a thing all day." Said her husband. "Ok, come on up" answered Linda.

When he reached the top his mother began telling him how to stand guard and what to watch for. After ten minutes of talk and two kisses she climbed down the wooden ladder and headed to the shelter. Chris watched as his tired mother made her way back to the shelter. Little did she know that she would be alone with the children. Chris smiled at that thought and started his watch.

The platform was eight feet by five feet ( 2.4 meters by 1.5 meters ) and very tall making it easy for Chris to see to all sides. A waist high rail was built for safety and a ladder continuing up the pole was built so that the men could work on the antenna. Chris tried to stay alert while still watching as Ted worked and Brian handed him parts.

In less than an hour Ted announced that the antenna was ready for its first test. The men began climbing down "Hey Chris you don't have to stay here." said Brian. Chris continued his watch " I'll stay here, that way maybe the kids can come outside for a little while". Ted and Brian looked at each other and nodded, they knew Chris was enjoying his new responsibilities. "Ok chris, but if you see anything", Chris interrupted "I'll call you on the two-ways". "Right" said Ted finishing his climb.

As kids do, Chris began daydreaming about being a hero and saving the family from sure disaster. That's when he saw it. Somehow a dot had appeared in the sky without him noticing. He couldn't tell how far south it was but it just hung there. After a minute, lost in bewilderment, Chris remembered the binoculars Ted had hung on the pole. It took a moment to find and adjust the binoculars but when he could finally see the object he almost fell out of the tower. In a rush he reached for the two-way.

As he started to key the device, his mind flashed a warning sign to him. "What if they can pick up human transmissions"? The fear from this thought stuck with him as he raced for the shelter. He slammed the door open startling the women and causing the one of the children to scream. As he enter the bedroom he found his father about to push the transmit button. "Stop!! Dad" he yelled as he ran to grab his fathers hand.

Startled Ted and Brian grabbed their weapons (which were never far away) and headed for the shelter door. "What is Chris, what did you see?". Chris was so nervous he couldn't speak at first "F-f-follow me dad" he stammered and lead the way out. They all crawled up the hill as if something would be watching. Ted was just about to become perturbed when Chris pointed to a tiny dot high above the ground somewhere to the south.

Ted almost choked his son as he pulled the binoculars to his eyes. Chris quickly detangled the strap from around his neck and said "See dad, what is it? Is it alien?". Ted understood now why his son seemed so afraid. Both he and Brain were stunned and they just kept handing the binoculars back and forth. Finally Brian ran to his truck to get his 35 mm camera. The camera was a high quality Minolta with 110 zoom. It would only be later that he would realize he had no way of processing the film.

Linda joined the group for a while. She later returned with a video camera and captured the event for about ten minutes. She and everyone else felt intense fear about the new threat. They simple didn't need this new worry in their lives. The adults and Chris agreed that the small children didn't need to know about the visitors.

The strange object stayed in the sky for about three hours. Chris was the only one left watching when the craft sped over head. He instinctively ducked as if it would somehow hide him. He then went inside to announce the crafts departure.

It was Ten days later when Ted called a meeting for that night. Chris was delighted to have been invited for the first time to an adult meeting. He watched as Linda put the kids in the bedroom and closed the door. Chris looked at each of the people at the meeting. It seemed to him that everyone had lost weight. His father seemed to fair the worst, the weight loss and stress left visible lines on his face. The Young's had changed less, though the weight loss left their clothes fitting loosely.

Chris's attention was brought back to the meeting when his dad began tapping a crystal wine glass. Ted looked at each member as if his words were of vital importance. "We need to make a run to gather supplies. We need to decide who will go and who will stay. I've already started a large list containing our current necessities. I want each person here to add anything that you deem of high importance. Chris could just see the first page of the list. It was very detailed and contained a large number of items.

Hope passed each person a pen and paper. The next twenty minutes were spent thinking, writing and keeping the kids in their room. When the list was finished they all returned to their seats and crossed out any duplications. Ted added all the new items to his list and the group voted down a few items that were of less importance or hard to attain.

Chris eagerly listened to his dad speak "Ok, here's how I see it. We Know that the UFO's fly over about once every day from noon to midnight. So I intend for the scrounging party to leave at about one in the morning. They will make a b-line to Gatone Gas Station to fill the gas cans and vehicles. Then they will go to Harper's Mall where they should be able to get almost everything else on the list. After that they head straight back to the shelter. Question is, who should go?"

As everyone was thinking about what Ted had said Chris spoke up " I'll go if you need me." The others just looked up and continued to ponder who should go. Chris watched as different combinations of adults were discussed, his name never came up.

Brian must have seen Chris's expression because he said " Cheer up Chris, your one of the reasons were able to go. We believe that you handle yourself well. But you're young and we don't won't to put you in any danger if we don't have to." Chris was satisfied with the answer. After all, Brian did say he could handle himself well.

1:20 the next day Chris was awakened. He sat up not knowing where he was for a second. It was Brian voice he heard "Wake up Chris, your coming with me." Chris was still somewhat asleep when he asked "What's going on. I'm suppose to handle myself here. I mean you said I can't go." Chris could just make out Brian's outline in the dim light. "The plan has changed, get your clothes on I'll get your other things ready." Chris didn't answer but began searching for his clothes on the floor.

In five minutes he was fully dressed and walking through the main room. The smell of fresh coffee filled his nose. As he neared the kitchen he could see Brian quietly sipping coffee and chewing on some toast. "Do you drink coffee now Chris?" asked Brian. This took Chris by surprise, he hadn't tried coffee since he was very small. "Yes, I would like some, Thanks" was his response. As Chris tasted the dark liquid he realized that this coffee was nothing like what he was given as a child. Still the atmosphere was so perfect, as if him and brian were sharing a secret that only grown men were told. Right of passage and all that kind of thing.

Even though they were running a bit late, Brian never picked up the pace. He was a thorough and patient man. He knew that the time schedule allowed for it easily. After packing the rover they got inside. Brian started it and lowly made his way down the drive. His lights were off and he wasn't going very fast. "Can you drive Chris?" chris had to admit "No, not really. Dad only let drive around a few parking lots and I didn't do to well." Brian didn't seem to mind his answer. "Do you know how to shoot your dad's 9 mm pistols. Chris had to smile at this "Yes, I even shot better than dad last time. You should have seen his face." Brian smiled too "Good, you take a pistol and your rifle then".

The street was still littered with debris. The moon was out but it's light was somehow tainted. A light fog floated in the fields and across the road. Chris understood why Brian wouldn't turn on the truck's lights, but the night made him picture old Scooby Doo cartoons in his head. Only this was all to real.

• 1 month later...

Chapter 7 Night Mission

The moon's color just felt wrong, while bright and almost full, it seemed to bring the fog to life. Because the Rover moved slow the wafts of fog seemed to hug the vehicle and slither across it. And the fog wasn't white or gray like one would expect, but more of a gray brown which changed as it moved.

Black figures sat in the middle of the passing fields. Brian forced himself to believe that they were old tree trucks or farm equipment. But the logical part of his mind had to concede that many of them were the remains of creatures.

Like art created by unholy daemons these alien sculptures of flesh could be found anywhere large creatures roamed. Taking a break from his own thoughts Brian glanced at his fourteen year old partner. The young man sat, gun in hand, and watched the surroundings for signs of trouble. While still a kid, he could be remarkable at times. He had even saved Brian's life once. And the scenes, which could tear down the walls of sanity, seemed to have little affect him.

When Chris saw Brian looking at him he asked "So why did you take me instead of dad?". Brian cleared his thoughts and his throat "Your dad has been feeling bad lately. He has all the signs of the flu though I can't be certain, not a hundred percent. He has a fever and we couldn't take the chance that he might get worse."

Chris turned to look back at the road, he worried about his dad some but fear and responsibility kept his mind sharp and his eyes moving. Mile after mile they crept their way to town. The eerie light made shadows move in the road ahead as they entered the wooded areas. At about two miles outside of Springfield, they came over a hill to find their path was blocked by a strange balloon like creature. Brian yanked the wheel just missing it to the left. After clearing the thing he mashed the gas. Chris yelled "It just exploded in a puff of smoke".

Brian looked in the mirror and wondered at the strange event. Why so many different mutations, and why are they so specific. Random mutations shouldn't lead to new species like this, and not creatures that are all monsters. The creatures that are dead appear to have been in some kind of mutate transformation. Yet the living creatures tend to have traits for killing or injuring.

UFOs and snow stuff and death and mutants.

That's when the realization hit him like a ton of bricks. He thought "These mutations aren't random at all. The mutations were designed. They're designer mutations, with the intent of forming the very creatures which now plague the earth." Brian's heart raced at the thought. He realized that instead of fighting strange mutated creatures, he was now fighting designed killers. He wondered at what other surprises might await them. He would spend the rest of the trip pondering this theory.

As they entered town Brian slowed and told Chris to keep a sharp lookout. Both Chris and Brian expected creatures to jump out of every building and from around every corner. Yet as they past by the first openings nothing emerged.

They entered the heart of Springfield. The larger buildings loomed high in the distance and seemed to sway in the lifting fog. Most doorways were set back in the buildings not allowing the moon's light to touch them. The alley's and store windows hid all they contained while everything in the open was easy to see. Moon shadows created so many dark areas that ambush seemed inevitable.

The moon was at its brightest. The brightest since it all had started. The one bad side affect was that it allowed them to see the dark sculptures. The flesh piles that were scattered about. While there were few, each seemed to contain some part which could be identified as human. Brian imagined that they were much like the piles found around the shelter. Mutated masses of body parts some containing skin or fur some just meat. The piles contained from one to an unknown amount of creatures or beings. It was straight out of a horror movie. Yet they pushed on.

The air was still and the fog had lifted. Even the few clouds were thin and wispy. The Rover moved at a crawl as it neared the gas station. Brian stopped the Rover within sight of it. He turned off the engine and they both rolled down their windows. A lone cricket chirped in the distance, music by any other name. The sounds of the city were gone, the silence was both welcome and frightening at the same time.

Brian allowed the Rover to roll down the hill to the station. There was a tanker truck at the gasstation. Brian and Ted had seen it on the first trip to town. Ted wanted Brian to check it out. The silence was broken by the sound of their doors closing and their footsteps. The noise seemed to echo outward in every direction.

They walked past the fuel pumps and up to the black Tanker Cab. Brian opened the truck's door and finding nothing inside he climbed in. Everything seemed in order, the driver had evidently bolted during the events of that day.

The inside looked as good as new, though covered with a thin layer of dust. Even the battery still had life. Climbing down he announced "The truck looks good, It may even run, we'll come back and get it soon. Lets hurry now and get some gas cans."

They quickly gathered four large gas cans and ran back to the Rover. Then they drove to Industrial One, a corporate fire training facility located in town. On the training grounds they found the two tanks that contained the fuels used in training. They drove right up to the tanks.

Chris had guard duty while Brian filled the cans. It took few minutes to figure out the valves but Brian soon had all four cans filled. He had just begun to use one of the cans to fill his own vehicle when Chris quietly said " Something is floating over the wall " pointing "over there". Brian continued filling the tank. " Just keep watching it, tell me if it does anything" he whispered. "10-4" whispered Chris.

The creatures gentle motions carried it around the far side of the training field. It seemed to be floating in no specific pattern as if it were a runaway balloon. Though hard to make out from a distance, the creature appeared small and bloated. It continued to float back and forth across the six foot high brick wall making no aggressive actions.

For three minutes it floated in its random pattern then Brian dropped one of the plastic gas cans. It was completely full and some splashed on the ground adding to the noise. The creature turned and slowly headed in their direction. As it advanced Chris began to see features which made him think of a fish.

"It looks like a fish Brian" Said Chris. Brian was already watching it and said " Wait until it gets closer before you fire, I don't want to alert everything in town to our presence until then."

The fish came within twenty feet so Brian stopped what he was doing and started throwing rocks at it. When a rock finally hit it, the fish popped like a balloon. With a smile Brian looked at Chris saying "Alright! Di...." BOOOM the fish exploded in a ball of hydrogen fire sending burning fish parts in all directions. The force was strong enough to rock the Rover and send Brian and Chris hurtling to the ground. Brian was dazed, he could feel pain in his left arm and hand. Someone was pulling on him. "Chris?" he said.

As his mind came back into focus he could hear Chris saying "Come on Brian, run! Please Brian, wake up.". Brian stood with Chris's help and half jogged to the exit of the fire grounds.

They walked down Irvin St. until they came to the corner of 3rd avenue. "Stop" said Brian "let me clear my head and rest a little. What happened?". Chris looked in the direction of the fire grounds saying "The fish exploded and fire landed everywhere, some must have landed in that gas you spilled. The Rover was burning and I was..." boom, the blast from the three other gas cans lit up the night followed by two smaller explosions."

Brian thought for a moment, there was no time to consider his blunder. They were in trouble and they needed a way out quick. The only idea he could come up he told Chris "We need to get to the truck we saw back at the gas station". Chris just smiled and nodded.

They headed across the street and past a Mr. Oil station when one of the strange humanoids stepped from around the corner. Brian didn't stop running but lifted his pistol up sharply catching the creature just where the face should be. The sound was meaty and squishy at the same time. Blood was on Brian's hand, his weapon had deeply penetrated the creature. It fell back completely unconscious.

Chris was so impressed he almost forgot to keep moving and had to catch up with Brian. As they neared the next store store entrance shots rang out hitting the wall to their left. Brian darted in the appliance store's entrance, Chris right on his heels. He never stopped moving but went straight to the side entrance, still unlocked since that fateful day, and into a small alley.

He made a left and came out behind the store. They then ran the entire length of a strip mall and crossed Main St. They jogged down 3rd until it meet Hwy 52. There they turned right and could see the top of the gas station's tall sign. Chris spotted a creature standing at the top of the rise and grabbed Brian.

They stopped, and tried not to make a move. The creature seemed to be waving a weapon of some sort. Looking around Brian spotted a ditch lined with bushes. They both crouched down and slid into the thick shrubbery and down into the ditch.

Brian whispered to the heavy breathing Chris "Check you weapon, all I have is a pistol". They both took time to check their weapons. One .243 hunting rifle with five rounds and one 9mm hand gun with a total of 30 rounds. They both knew they were in no position to attack.

After five minutes of waiting and watching, movement could be seen in every direction.

Chapter 8 Owners Manual not Included

Ted laughed in spite of his sickness. It was the laugh of a man trying to comfort someone. He said " They're just fine, they will come back soon, you'll see. Now dear will you get breakfast started, they'll be hungry when they get here."

Ted didn't let his own doubts show as he laid in bed. Brian and Chris were supposed to have been back before daybreak and they still hadn't returned. His sickness appeared to have been from the leftover hamburger he had snacked on. And aside from the frequent trips to the latrine, he was feeling much better.

Still very weak he decided that he would soon get out of bed but not just yet. Then he fell asleep again.

The scene in the kitchen was different, Hope was in one corner of the kitchen chopping potatoes into hash browns. Her fingers stayed to close to the shredder as she ran the potato across its surface.

Tears flowed and hit the edge of the counter. She was glad she was facing the cabinets, she didn't want the others to see her cry.

Linda stayed busy warming beans in a pan. In the beans she put the last of their ham hock for flavor. She thought about how many times they had had beans. But still the canned beans were stacked high in the pantry part of the storage closet. Though everyone was tired of them the adults didn't complain out loud. There was still plenty of cereal for the kids that didn't want beans. And Everyone would love the hash browns.

Potatoes stay good for a long time in the cool underground air. Ted had bought out the store when the strangeness began. But there were few of them left in the eating pile now and those were beginning to turn into potato plants. The planting pile was large and Ted would soon be using them to start a new crop.

Linda looked over at Hope. She could just see the side of hope's face. She saw the tears and how Hope's body shook as she cried silently. Linda was tough, strong of character and of body. But even a strong women like herself had few defenses against the possible loss of a child. Watching Hope cry the way she was only made matters worse.

Hope turned to see if Linda was watching. With a teary frown and with no sound she mouthed the word "Why?" to Linda. Linda turned off the stove and walked to Hope. She took hope's hands off the grater and lead her to the couch. They sat there for a little while when Freddie entered the room.

"Why you cry mommy?" he asked. Linda opened her arms and called him to her. Soon, all the children and women sat on the couch in the middle of the shelter and prayed and comforted each other.

The sun in the strange sky was welcomed by Brain and Chris. They had stayed in the ditch for hours waiting for a good moment to make a run for it. Chris's face appeared pale due to the temperature but every time Brain asked him if he was ok, he just smiled and said he was fine.

They had spent most of the time huddled together for warmth occasionally poking their heads out to see if the coast was clear. They had been very fortunate to find the ditch. It provided almost perfect cover. The only flaw being at the east end. If a creature walked right past the east end the pair would be completely exposed.

Brian's left Hand was still in pain. In the morning's light he looked to his burns. He pushed up the blacked sleeve of his cotton shirt to reveal first degree burns on twenty percent of his left arm. Not very dangerous but it hurt a lot. His left hand was another story. Without any material protecting it, there were seconded degree burns across the entire back of the wrist, hand and four fingers. The blisters were large and the skin very red. He needed to get first aid and antibiotics.

Neither noticed as a noise began creeping up in their heads. It was a familiar noise and their brains didn't register it as odd for the first few seconds. The noise grew quickly and soon both Brain and Chris were scanning the sky for the noise maker. The F-15 Eagle Screamed by over head.

Chris had never seen one before. Through fits of joy Brain explained that it was considered by many to be America's best all purpose fighter. They wanted to jump for joy. They wanted to run and tell the others. But they were quickly brought back down to earth when several of the creatures ran past the east end of the trench. They buried their bodies against the sides of the trench and watched several more go by.

"The jet must have stirred them up a bit." said Brain. Chris nodded.

Taking a chance, Brian poked his head up and looked out of the row of bushes. Everything appeared still and quite now. "There's not a creature in sight." he told Chris. He slid back down into the ditch. He quickly made a plan in his head. "This may be our only chance Chris, we need to get to that truck and get it running."he explained, as he looked Chris in the eyes.

The limbs of the bushes scraped Brian in his hurry. The already highly sensitive skin on his left arm and hand burned like fire. But his adrenaline and focus left little room for pain. He didn't even notice as the fluid from several open blisters ran down his hand and coated his 9 mm.

They scrambled across he street and followed it up the slope. The gas station loomed large as they ran the final hundred yards to the truck. As fast as he could Brian jumped on the step and opened the semi's driver side door. Brian silently thanked the former driver again for switching the engine off before he left the vehicle.

Brian tried to recall his limited experience with large trucks as Chris climbed over him and moved into the other seat. Brian turned the key, the motor rumbled to life. Though the engine ran poorly it did continue to run. Brian fumbled with the controls for what seemed like an eternity. Finally he got the big rig into first gear.

They started so slow that Chris thought the semi might die but through the noise and pandemonium of big machines gear system. The Peterbuilt semi continued to gain speed. Brian jammed it into second and the engine noise began to sound better.

Gun fire could be heard as the rig accelerated. Bullets ricocheted many times but none reached the truck's cab. Heads low they mentally willed the truck forward.

Brian knew the city of Springfield very well but the rig was now entering a part that he hadn't traveled since before the nightmare. He had chosen this new path due to it's downhill slope which allowed him to gain speed quickly. As his skill at driving the rig grew he increased his speed. Yet time after time he was forced to slow to avoid vehicles in the street.

Reaching the end of the street he turned left which lead down another small hill. At the bottom of that hill he turned right on Dickerson Pike which was a large highway leading out of town.Traffic was heavy on the highway and soon it began a respectable upward slope. Gun toting mutants could be seen running down a brush filled slope to the right, but they wouldn't be fast enough to get in front of the rig. Brian increased his speed just in case.

Three hundred yards further Chris yelled making Brain's head snap back to the road in front of him. A glistening ball of clear gelatin could be seen just up ahead on the left side of the road. "What the He.." yelled Brian as he swerved to give the creature a wide birth.

Something clear and nasty coated the window of the rig right in front of Brian. He let out a "AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" that extended all the way through the following events and became louder the closer they got to the intersection.

His sight was hindered as they arrived at the intersection that was already going to be a tight fit. The whole rig shuttered as it struck the 1997 Corolla. The semi's left bumper impacted the Corolla hard enough that a spray of plastic showered the rig and the car went airborne.Brian, still yelling, looked out his driver's side window in time to see the car flip slowly end over end. He was amazed as the car slid over a Navigator and pinned the creature blob against a smaller car. Giant slices could be seen in the gelatin and fluid poured to the ground.

Chris said "Look" pointing at the window. A hole had appeared in it at the middle of the goo. The smell of dirty feet permeated the air. A light smoke came off the edges of the hole. Brian was just glad he could see through it again.

Five miles (about 8 kilometers) later they were headed back home on Treasure Drive. The going was slow and allowed them time to talk. "I didn't know if we would make back there." said Chris unable to control a smile on his face. " I know what you mean, did you see that car land right on the blob thing. I mean, what's the chance of that." responded Brain. Chris laughed "Oh, I thought you meant to do that?" he could hardly control himself.

They talked as two men, happy to be alive and knowing that their own skill and luck had granted them escape. They talked of stupid flying fish, one punch knockouts and flying cars of death. But of all things they spoke of, none was more promising than the flight of the lone human aircraft. The F-15 Eagle showed that humanity had survived and was fighting back.

Back at the shelter everyone continued to pray and worry. The watch tower was manned throughout the day as if it might bring them home sooner somehow. The tension from the adults had spilled over to the children. Nicole was old enough to sense that something was wrong with daddy and started asking for him. Over and over she asked when daddy was getting home until Hope yelled at her to stop. Then

she felt terrible as her daughter cried. Hope tried to reassure her, but the scene just made her

that much more sad. Every few minutes she would whisper "Please come home Brian." The noise from the large diesel truck could be heard from the shelter as the two adventurers turned into Ted's long driveway. It was nice to hear the sound of the gravel drive under the huge tires.

Chris had always liked that sound, but now it was like magic.The whole family including Ted and the dog were there to greet them. They pulled the rig into a spot that Ted was pointing at and turned off the diesel engine. Stepping out of the rig they were mauled by the family. Joy and kisses, hugs and worry about Brian's wounds were everywhere. "Hey, shouldn't someone be in that tower with all the noise we're making?" asked Brian out loud. He was hoping to break the group up a bit.

"I'll go" said Chris and he headed straight for the tower followed by the his two younger brothers."Thanks." said Brian in a smart way, knowing that Chris had taken his opportunity to get out of the group.

"Lets all go inside, I'll tell you all about it when I've ate and rested some. It's been a long night." Said brian heading for the shelter entrance. "But what about your hand dear?" asked a worried Hope. "It's not too bad really, but I will need Ted's first aid kit." They all walked as a happy group back inside the shelter.

Only Chris remained outside. He watched from his lofty perch enjoying the weather. He spent his alone time remembering his part in the adventure. He now felt like a man more than ever before. He had tried every day to make the adults proud of him, but now things were different, he was different.

Inside the women cooked up a large meal and placed it on the dining table. They called Chris inside and rounded up the children. With everyone gathered they said a prayer and sat down to eat. Then the story was told to everyone, the gory details would be left out and told to the adults at a later date. Still the story was good and the whole family considered themselves fortunate to have each other.

Only the warm protective comfort of the shelter let Brian sleep that night. His dreams were haunted, but that was nothing new.

Chapter 9 Chaos

Waking the next day Brian found that he had overslept. He walked into the kitchen just as Chris was finishing breakfast, "everyone else finished an hour ago" said chris as he got up. As chris hurried for the door Brian laughed "Where ya going so fast son?". " I'm going outside to check out the truck" yelled Chris as he ran out the open shelter door.

Hope sat down beside Brian and starred at him. She needed to tell him how lost she had felt. She stayed with him through his breakfast sharing with him her feelings of fear and happiness. Brian listened to her as she describe her love for him. He was not the type to speak of his own feelings but when she finished he kissed her forehead and said "I love you dear".

When Hope got up to check on the children Brain rubbed his tired eyes and took notice of his surroundings. The light from the open door caste shadows across the walls. The reddish tint from the strange sky only added to the gloomy feeling of the shelter. Brian decided to exit his depressing burrow. He thought he might feel better if he started the work they had planned to do that day. It would be a long day.

As Brian got to the top of the hill he could see Ted kneeling by the tankers valve section. "Well Ted, figured it out yet?". It was the same question that everyone else had been asking all day. Ted had been working on the problem for the last two hours and wasn't in the best of moods. "No, not yet if you must know, it must have some kind of safety.". Brian decided to leave the engineer alone so he walked up to the cab where chris was playing with the controls.

Brian climbed up the two steps and asked Chris to move over. As Brian slid into the drivers seat he noticed several controls that they had over looked the night before. Brian found that he enjoyed messing with all the buttons and knobs almost as much as Chris.

Chris continued to play with the controls as his left hand accidental got caught on a thin cable hanging from the ceiling. The truck's air horn blared causing everyone to jump and two of the children began crying. Chris shrank in his seat, he felt very small and just wanted to hide. Nerves were on edge so Brian yelled out the window "Our fault! Won't happen again."

Ten minutes past and everyone was breathing a little easier. There didn't seem to be any response to the air horn. "Hang in there Chris, and be more careful." said Brain as he continued to search for a control that might help Ted. "What did you say?" Asked Chris. "I said Hang in ..." Chris interrupted "no, after that". "I didn't say anything after that."

A few minutes later Chris said "Did you hear that?". Brian looked up at Chris and just before he could answer he heard something. It was something that sounded like a small voice. "Shhhhhhhhh" said Brian trying to determine the source of the sound. He decided it was to his left. But Chris was looking to his right. Both realized at the same time that the noise came from speakers in the trucks doors.

Brian jerked back up and turned up the radio that Chris had left on. The voice had a lot of static but it was definitely a human voice. The voice said "the hill just outside of Middleton. I will be transmitting this every hour. If anyone can hear me I'm at the radio station on the hill just outside of Middleton. I will be transmitting this every hour." The voice took a sad tone "I'm alone and I'm hoping someone is out there. I signing off now."

Chris must have inadvertently turned on the radio while messing with the controls. The long since mutated driver's favorite station was WSRQ 102.5. That station's transmitter was housed in Middleton.

Brian and Chris jump out of both sides of the truck and ran to find the rest of the family. As they neared the group huddled at the back of the truck Brian opened his mouth to get everyone's attention. But before he could speak he felt the air vibrating. His ears itched as the vibrations grew. "Everyone get down" yelled Ted in a voice that was filled with the vibrations.

The ground began to shake and the tin roof on the house echoed the vibrations as if the sound somehow possessed it.

The Battleship and it's escorts flew over.

Fear. Hearts beating at great speed. Dread and fear for their future. Fear for all of mankind. The ship's sound reached down into them and shook them to their core. The shadow of the Battleship crossed the field in front of the house only adding to the terror. The ships moved strangely slow as if fearing nothing. A small bird flew by altering the scene by its appearance.

The huge craft cause fifty mile per hour gusts (about 80 kilometer/hour) as it flew fairly close to the ground. The trees bent, dust flew around the group getting in their eyes. The noise was deafening the scene completely chaotic.

Amidst the madness Brian somehow managed to overcome the fear and looked up at the monstrosity. As he Examined the ship through sqinted eyes, he couldn't help but marvel that such a large object could defy gravity.

The ship itself didn't look like the generic saucer that had been commonly associated with spacecraft. It more resembled the head of a bug, roundish with pincers coming out of the front on either side. The color was a metalic white and along its surface was attached many devices of unknown ability. While many of these protrusions must have had mundane uses,it gave the impression that the ship bristled with weapons at the ready.

The three smaller ships flew in formation around the larger ship. These craft where as large or larger than a F-15. They appeared to a have the same shape as the ship they escorted and possessed the abilty to defy gravity in same impossible way.

Though terrified by the terrific display Brian felt somewhat relieved to finally be able to put a face to the cause of the earth's worries.

Fifteen minutes after the ships left the family sat on the ground waiting for the affects to wear off. Strangely the children didn't cry. In fact no sound could be heard at all. The madness of sound and wind had been replaced by stillness and quiet. It seemed to Brian that time stood still.

The world came back to life as a cool gust of wind blew across the farm. As if waking out of a dream everyone began taking and crying at once. The noise they made, made it hard to tell what anyone was saying. Ted held and comforted Linda, it was the first time he had seen her cry in years. Hope, who did cry on occasion, was doing just that while holding her daughter.

Brian was strangely calm and was trying to understand what Chris was yelling and pointing at. Chris kept jumping and pointing like a madman. Suddenly Brian could see something too, but all the noise was irritating him and made it difficult to think.

In a Loud, almost harsh voice Brian said "Quiet everyone". Silence once again prevailed, allowing for a soft distant noise to be heard. Tiny specks appeared against the clouds far far away. "Jets" thought Brian, he counted them. He counted three but Chris told him he had seen two other groups of three. The earth had an airforce.

The family's hopes were lifted so they watched the sky. They waited a long time for signs of the jets that had flow past. They waited as if their lives depended on it. Then slowly one by one three small specks appeared, then a forth. They were flying back toward the direction they had come from.

As the family began a little celebration another jet came into view. It was smoking and seemed to be losing altitude. It was coming much closer than the previous jets. Fire could be seen trailing it at times and the whole plane appeared to be slowly spinning as the nose turned downward.

Brain held the binoculars to his eyes. He scanned for more than a minute when he finally saw the parachute. "How far away is it?" he wondered. "I see a parachute" yelled Chris excitedly. Brian looked over at Ted "Ted, we need to talk. We need to decide if we want to try and rescue this guy." As he finished his sentence the forth jet came back into view. It did three flybys over the downed craft. Once it even flew over the farm.

Harold Trace, everyone called him Flip, was on his eighteenth mission for the Council of Earth (COE). He knew that most of the time the craft would just fly out of radar range. During three of his missions other aircraft had arrived first. If fact he had only made contact with enemy forces just five times.

But this time was different. This time they were attacking the battleship that had been roaming the United States east coast for the last month. This time the first squadron in had been totally annihilated with only one confirmed kill. But Flip stayed sharp, he used the fear to guide him. The adrenaline quickened his reflexes and cleared his head. He was going into combat mode again.

He could feel that rush " This time it's strong" he thought " Much like the first mission I flew. No, stronger than that, more like the first contact mission I flew." thoughts of that mission entered his head. He thought about how that little alien scout ship had filled him with such fear back then. How now his ship sported five pictures of alien craft, One for each kill. And how he was the COE's first fighter Ace.

Flip was flying the new F-15U. This top secret version of America's premiere fighter sported the new Amram-u missile. This missile had a range of 40 miles and a payload able to destroy most alien craft in one shot. It was specially designed to combat the alien threat and it was even rumored to have some alien technology in its construction.

"There they are" he thought. He watched the formation for weaknesses. The battleship was in the middle and slightly behind the two smaller craft. The fighter craft on the left showed visible damage and was even listing to the right a little.

There was no need for communication with his wing men, the plan had been drawn up a week ago and only a change in that plan was reason for breaking radio silence. Flip was well above his target and was just about to start his first run when both alien fighter craft broke formation and turn to face the CEO forces.

Roy(Roy), the pilot to the left, hit the afterburner and flew past Flip. George(radio), to flip's right, banked off to the right. Flip wished them the best but could no longer think about them, his entire focus was with the battleship.

Energy bolts released from the battleship cut through the air around Flips F-15. Only his constant maneuvering kept his little craft in the air. The tricks he used that day would have put a stunt pilot to shame. Flip banked and turned many times reaching the limits of his own endurance. But this day was his best. This day he flew flawlessly, and in so doing gained on the battleship.

At maximum range he fired his first two Amrams then continued his fancy flight. He was still gaining on the Goliath. The first Amram had disintegrated, weather by energy bolt or some kind of defensive mechanism Flip didn't know. He lost sight of the second missile as it neared the target. The battleship's constant firing was becoming much more accurate at the closer range. Flip found it almost impossible to avoid the energy bolts and line up with the massive ship at the same time. He wondered if he would ever get another lock-on.

His mind throughly on dodging the in-coming energy bolts he didn't notice that the huge ship was turning to face him. By the time he did he knew it was already to late. His next instinct was a dive that took him to tree top level. He could feel the effects of being so close to the ground but instead of slowing he pushed he plane even faster. In and out of he hills he flew. Bolts landed on the ground all around him. He couldn't think of a plan, only fly fast and low.

It was about this time that his wing man Roy saw his flight leader's predicament. The young pilot attacked the behemoth at full speed. Energy bolts missed his plane by less than a foot but he continued his dive.

Flip noticed a momentary lull in the blasts being fired. He yanked up hard on the stick. His plane came upward in a wide arc. Looking over his head he could see the battleship. Then he saw it. The damage from his lost missile had somehow been taken underneath the large ship. The hole was over twenty feet ( 3 meters) wide. Flip lined up his plane. He was very very close when the lock-on tone finally sounded. Roy's plane flew past him as he released his remaining missiles. Flying straight and true they all impacted the vessel, one flew through the hole created by the first impact.

Flip flipped his plane over and pushed hard on the stick. He was thankful that he didn't witness the explosion as it caused the ground cover below to be bathed in a pure white light so intense that Flip was forced to squint his eyes. The turbulance would last for a full five seconds.

Then a loud noise was heard. Flip could only guess he had been struck by some of the debris. Through his cockpit window he could see pieces of the alien craft flying past his plane. Several panel lights came on and the emergency warning noise sounded in his ear piece. He quickly called a mayday in while he struggled to keep his plane level. The problem seemed be getting worse over time.

Roy soon joined Flip "Flip you have smoke trailing and a gash in the aft part of your port wing. Wait a moment there's more." Flip's fear grew with the length of the pause. "holy shis Flip you have a hole as big as a toaster just under that wing." Flip grimaced at the news. He had been hoping to crawl back to base but it looked like that wouldn't happen. Over the next ten minutes he found it very hard to keep his altitude and he was constantly drifting east of where he wanted to go.

"Where's Radio?" asked Flip in a deflated tone. " I don't know flip, I haven't seen him or the craft he went after since the fight began. And I'm not able to contact him." Radio was never heard from again.

The plane started jerking and shaking until Flip could no longer control it. It would only be a matter of time before Flip lost so much altitude that he was forced to eject from his plane.

He thought about the friends and loved ones that he had lost in the tragic alien attack. How many were mutated he didn't know. He did know that less than one in one hundred people changed and most of those died early on. That gave him some comfort. He prayed, something he rarely did during those days. By the time he finished his thoughts and prayers it was time to eject.

Flip waited for the slowly spinning plane to turn so that the cockpit pointed skyward then pulled the release. He braced himself for the rush of the rocket assisted escape seat. The whole exit went flawlessly and soon he found himself floating to earth somewhere in Tennessee. He laughed to himself thinking " I always wanted to go to Tennessee."

His fear grew as he neared the unknown terrain. All the wicked stories started coming to his mind. Above him Roy flew by, he would fly over two more times before being ordered back to base. There was some comfort in knowing that three other downed pilots had been saved by helicopter. "Funny" he thought " They never tell you how many didn't get rescued".

With a loud thud and determined look, Harold Trace landed on earth and started working toward his survival.