Here's a thought

Raccoon

The biomass starts spreading itself all over the planet, converting plants, animals, anything into it's own biomass. By the time you get the technology to fight this monster, at least 30% of the earth's lands should be covered. And then you start thinking... The plants that were under the mass itself as well as the animals should all be dead.

How on earth are we going to survive when we no longer produce oxygen and have lost most of our food supplies?

Nice thought - The follow up to my posted fan-fic deals with a character thinking briefly about this and will possibly be dealt with in the third or fourth fan fic. I am toying with the fact that the Bio-Mass eats (consumes) all plant/animal life, and therefore MUST be consisted of matter that we can process and digest...

Ideas... Ideas... Ideas... :rolleyes:

Well, it could be possible for humans, after learning more about the biomass, can turn it into both a food supply and power-source :rolleyes:

As far as oxigen goes, I think the biomass has it's own plantlife so it can provide itself with this element, otherwise it would die off.

Of course there is the fact that humans arent QUITE as numerous as they used to be. So the oxygen should last for a while. However, in one of my games, I pretty much lost all of South america to the mass... and what does south america have? Lots and lots of trees.

Maybe someone enhances humans genetically so we can breath that other gases in the atmosphere :devil:

Okok i admit that idea was stolen from a Sci-fi short story i read some years ago. A rather shocking one.

In it parents got a letter from a company which made them an offer to "improve" their unborn kids, so they would be able to live in a toxicated, destroyed world. They would be able to withstand radiation, eat metals and garbage etc. Basically everything unhealthy would be good for them. At the end of the letter there was a small confession, that the childs wouldn't look human anymore, but surely the parents would understand that small tribute they would have to pay.

I don't know the author or the name of that story and i even lost the book some years ago, but that story regarding the terrible idea is still in my mind.

Anyone remember SeaQuest DSV?

The second season introduced the DAGGERs. Genetically created humans, at least twice as strong as a similar sized-human, incredible regenerative powers (one episode included a video of an experiment where they amputated one of their arms and watched it regrow in minutes).

And they can remain conscious in an atmosphere of 10% or less oxygen. Us humans would be in a coma.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about a similar problem for a fanfic I'm working on based on how I personally would survive (I'm not a gun-toting redneck), and how the Council of Earth is formed.

The seeds in agricultural supply stores and garden centres tend to be stored in airtight bags to keep the moisure from getting in, so they would still be viable after the Fall. The survivors can be expected to use these seeds to produce fresh foods. The only problem to overcome is that some plants require insects for fertilisation. This will mark the beginning of the recovery of Earth's ecology.

In any case, the Old Greys have sent a fleet to Earth, which will arrive in 20 years. They will doubtless have included the equipment to repair or rebuild the Q-Port. The Old Greys would then devote their full scientific and economic resources to helping the recovery of Earth partly because of their natural altruism and partly because of their shame at what some of their race had done.

Two or three days. I've done most of it, but there's a couple of sections I'm not happy with at the moment.

It's based on how I would personally survive the Fall, bearing in mind that my chances of survival would be about nil without a nuclear shelter, and hardly anyone in the UK has a private nuclear shelter. I certainaly don't want to spend a few weeks being probed by Facehugger's aliens, although I now know why in my current game Brian is so lethal with a Neostead in the second half of UFO base assault missions :rolleyes:. The story ends with the establishment of the Council of Earth.

When I worked out an explanation as what I'm doing in a shelter, I realised that I had just proved that national governments would be able to reestablish themselves within a matter of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

And surely the Human bases have air-filters and such. I mean, come on, it's an underground base. There will almost certainly be an air-recyclation system.

I don't think the Biomass can even spread on water. I lost the South Pole and Far-East Asia to it, and it didn't even manage to get off of the South Pole after a few days.

But wouldn't most of the algae have died from starvation? I mean, they need light. And with all them spores in the atmosphere, blocking the sun, they probably would have died.

I wonder what some of the other fish-based mutations are like... a "Balloon Shark" would be nifty... like a Balloon Fish, just tougher and it moves faster, gliding in to bite you with a vicious melee/bite attack.