Alan

it all started with:

The Doctor Posted: May 24 2002, 04:07 PM

If someone has no idea of the story, visit this link below:

click here to read about the story

-----

then the following was covered:

1)UFO:A is *NOT* X-Com

2)That biomass stuff sounds like the Zerg creep off starcraft.

the last few relevant posts were:

Bastiaan Posted: Jun 4 2002, 05:36 PM  

Anyway back to the Story.

Has the organisation who is fighting the aliens a name, or are they just a bunch of survivers who try fighting the aliens?  

martin Posted: Jun 6 2002, 09:07 AM  

Actually, we are currently calling the survivors "Council of Earth" (CoE), but this is a work-in-progress monicker only. What do you think about it? Does anybody have a better idea?  

Alan Posted: Jun 6 2002, 09:33 AM  

"Council of Earth" (CoE)

hmm... could work, although CoE also stands for Church of England...

i would say EDF (earth defense force) but thats already taken...

i guess it depends on what type of group it is, if its more of a resistance then names like 'The Terran Resistance' or 'Earth Resistance force' would sound right, but if its gonna be vaguely government related i guess stuff like Council, Department, and Office come into it.

- alan

Tammy Posted: Jun 6 2002, 02:39 PM  

Hi Martin! It's good to have you here.

I think Alan makes a good point. The name should fit the group's structure. How organized is this resistance? If they are very structured, "Council" will be fine, but if it's more of a grass-roots "resistance" group, then maybe you should think about changing the name. "Council" does seem to imply a government-type organization. If that's not the desired implication, then maybe a more military-sounding name would be better.  

-------

right, now i dont want any spam in this topic. this means you Warlord, TJ, and Tammy. Anything that i think isn't relevant i'll delete.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe. Sorry Alan, blame Warlord it was all his fault! :blink:

Anyway no spam, understood... Alan, I'm sure I posted something relevant in the other topic. If you hadn't noticed you will realise that these forums were completely spam free until Warlord arrived...

Anyway on topic. I still think the story is slightly farfetched. The entire world sort of chokes to death on these alien spores and then a small surviving faction of normal people come back and kill the aliens who managed to defeat the entire world but can't seem to deal with a small centralised rebellion...

Still, it's a squad based strategy game which is all I care about.

I guess that depends on how determined they are to stay away from the impression that it's an X-COM game. I like X-DEF, but it sounds an awful lot like X-COM. There's been a lot of discussion about the connection--or lack thereof--to X-COM. They have to be careful of the legalities, of course, which complicates matters. Kind of annoying, what with the legal owners of the rights to X-COM behaving as a dog in the manger.

But it would be nice to be on the edge of what you can do and what not, there are games with the word frontier in it or interceptor or apocalypse before they used it in an x-com game. And as we are x-com fans and so are the Altar guys, why not bring an ode to the x-com universe to implement the game by twitching the story in such way that it hasn't any copyright problems.

I am not quite sure, what is the question... Yet, I'll try to answer. We don't want to use any variant of the story of any part of X-COM series for variety of reasons -- we don't want to be accused of derivativeness, and we don't want to be sued. We are not making an X-COM sequel, period. Whether you or me wish to do so, is beyond the point.

Similar reasoning applies to terminology. X-DEF, while nice, we would be reluctant to use for reasons outlined above. By the same token, there will be no "UFOPaedia", etc.

Back to Council of Earth -- this is an umbrella organisation trying to manage what is left of Earth. The organisation you are in charge of is technically subordinated to it; it is an elite (as much as possible under the circumstances) group of soldiers tasked with solving the most difficult military problems (and it is currently nameless). CoE are de iure your superiors, but basically they will always follow your "recommendations". CoE are the people who are making the research for you, scouting new soldiers for you, etc.

The question was what will the elite force be Martin.

And you said everything was pretty much still a work in progress? It's best to put it to the group here But Council of Earth (although getting the point across nicely) looks very similar to the Church of England when abbrieviated. Identical actually...

Hey, Alan...good idea! Maybe something with the word Phoenix?

hmm... i like it, rising from the ashes 'n all.

praps something like 'Pheonix section'. something that indicates that it is part of the CoE and links with the whole rising from the ashes mythology stuff.

good one Tammy :blink:

but, what do the guys from Altar think?

I was wrong it was the new world alliance not order. That was an earlier idea from the brainstorming. Three more alliances flared up and died today. We now have the Russian stronghold which is not an alliance just a stronghold. Obviously... The Grecian Cartel, the European Conglomerate the Saudi-African alliance. There are some really dodgy ones around but I'm killing them off quickly. Even South America is almost alien controlled!

Anyway back on topic... Like the Phoenix idea but it sounds too much like a vehicle because of Apocalypse... Not sure how it could be twisted to fit an organisation...

If they like it, I hope they spell it right--it's phoenix, Alan.

:blink:

Like the Phoenix idea but it sounds too much like a vehicle because of Apocalypse... Not sure how it could be twisted to fit an organisation...

point about it sounding like the apoc thing is taken.

however, it doesn't need to be twisted to fit, in fact, its quite apt.

Phoenix:

Mythology. A bird in Egyptian mythology that lived in the desert for 500 years and then consumed itself by fire, later to rise renewed from its ashes.

(courtesy of dictionary.com)

the whole rising from the ashes thing, humanity on the brink of extinction, and fighting back to destory the alien oppressors, etc.