UFO: Enemy Unknown (XP Prolems)

Falx

I've read through several threads on XP related problems already but haven't located a solution to my particular problem (which follows.

I start the game (the sound is dodgy but acceptable) after beggining a new game I select a position for my first base which causes it to crash to the desktop with no error (more accurately, the DOS promt closes).

I'm using the Sold Out version using XP. Everything I try that has been mentioned doesn't seem to work (my problem is specificly placing of the first base).

For a layout of the CD's directory structure and the contense of the readme file click this link.

Any help would be appreciated :D

-Falx

I would seriously head on over to www.scotttjones.com/xcomutil and download xcomutil (whatever the latest version is). I had originally downloaded f0dder's loader for UFO and TFTD, but xcomutil covers it all from speed problems to screen pitch so that everything displays and runs perfectly on my machine in XP with no hassle whatsoever.

If that doesn't help, I'd be quite surprised :D

I just tried XcomUtil but it hasn't fixed my base crash problems :D I also installed VDMSound but that doesn't seem to change anything. Thanks for your help though.. does anyone else have any ideas or have had the same problem? (the game seems to want to run from the cd so I had to copy the missing stuff from the cd to my HDD to get xcomutil to work).

-Falx

I don't think this particular problem is curable. I remember I had trouble with it when i had win98 installed. Basicly its the soldout version. I'll probably have to get myself some emulation software to even stand a chance getting this working. I'll post if i have any luck.

The Red Ant / $oldout version of the game doesn't come with a full hard drive install (very silly, if you ask me).

However, that does not mean that you cannot manually turn it into a full hard-drive installation.

With a bit of file copying, fixing their attributes (not really that important, but it's good practice) and then editing two characters out from one of the batch files and you'll have it working entirely off the hard drive.

- NKF

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I got it to work perfectly (some-what) using the DosBox. Is there anyway to increase the size of the DOS Box?

Yes.

If you're using Boxer, set 'Output type' to OpenGLNB, and drag the 'Hardware scaling' slider to 2.00.

The corresponding entries in a .conf file would be:

[sdl]

output=openglnb

hwscale=2.00

You can use the regular OpenGL output and/or non-integer scaling if you want, but it won't necessarily be pretty; most likely it'll give you a headache.

You might also try running DOSBox full-screen, in which case Hardware scaling should be set to 1.00.

Either way (windowed or full-screen), I haven't found any settings that look good with aspect correction enabled, so I always get a slightly flattened image in games that use 320x200 (e.g. UFO). Not really a problem, though.