TFTD on New Computer?

Rv52

after many years of not playing, I tried breaking out TFTD again for another go. Even on my outdated 800 P3, the battle scenes just scrolled about too quickly. I couldnt control my mouse and keep it around my aquanauts and ship. Also the time just shoots by. It goes so quickly I sometimes cant react in enough time to the alien ships. So I tried it on my oldest most archaic 266 P2, and it was better, but still virtually unplayable. Moving the mouse just the tiniest bit sends the screen off into the distance. Any ideas how to work this out?

In the tactical mode options screen, you can slow down the scroll speeds and the like. You did, uh, try that, right? https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/blink.gif

Since I can get it playable on an Athlon 1.4GHz like that, I think the answer's probably "no"...

:: gasps ::

outdated 800 P3

:: grabs chest, makes a strainge sound, and dropps down on ground ::

(i have a PII 300 you see...)

ok, have you tried DosBox? its over in the UFO section somewhere...an old thread somewhat, but useful. its a dosemulator, so useful for xp. doesn't work on my comp cuz its too slow. it emulates the sound and graphics as well. my comp has onboard everything yousee, so it has to process everything twice if you get what i mean...

And it doesnt work .... Imagine that. It freezes as soon as u try to get past the intro. The dude said somethign about haveing to make a boot disk to free up as much conventional memory as possible .... but I dont think its gunna be that easy ... Does anyone have any ideas on what causes the game to freeze after the intro? I'd like to speed this process up as much as possible so I dont have to keep playing it on this 2800 AMD with an uncontroulable mouse scroll and mous click for that matter, the wolrd map time moving like im in 5 min time when i have 5 secs clicked, and not to mention missions ending before i complete them only to load the resaults of the last mission and actually have that be the resault of the one that ended in the middle of it. Well enough rambleingf i Have to wake up for class in 6 hours .... gunna be a long day. Cya.

-Drew

proper mouse? Will the mouse mess it up like that? I mean the screen doesnt even load. it just freezes .... and requires a hard reset (or just turning it off/on in the case of this computer) to get it running again. The next thign were going to try tho is get the CD ROM working in DOS b/c last time we were trying it in a DOS promt, so maybe thatll help out a lil ... who knows.

I have an Nvidia Geforce 4, i dunno if thats a s3 or what. But neways, Id like to get it working on the 486 as I have many other games I wish bust out to with. :D

Has anyone had this problem first hand? the freezing problem that is. If so, I'd like to know what you did to fix it. if you could fix it. thanks

-|)rew

Load up the setup program and tell it to use no sound (you might be able to turn it on later, but just for the sake of getting the game running). Then try running the game.

Find out what's inside your autoexec.bat and config.sys files (open them with a texzt editer) and paste their contents here. Also note what your sound card is.

turning on no sound is what caused me to atleast play the intro, but it still froze after the intro. And getting the info from those files is a lil dificult at the moment, as the 486 is at the dudes house. but the next time im there ill post the info.

-|)

I have had that problem before. It happend because the CPU is not 100% Intell combatible.. in my case the 486 was a Texas Instrments, back in the 386/486 days there were many CPU makes. I'm afraid the game is making a fuction call the cpu does not support.

Needless to say I was quite up set about this issue as I had just bought TFTD and it only ran on my friends computer and not my dads.

with your 266 p2 can be throttled to a smooth speed using at-slow (I find that the other programs make the game run choopy)

I also have some config.sys settings that can make the most of any memory and a moust driver that is the smallest availibe.

feel free to IM me and I will try to help you get this running.

Also the colectors edition (windows) will run fine on your 800mhz systm the geoscape may seem a little fast, but the tactical is ok on systems up to about 2ghz.

DosBox is an emulator that can run the dos game under windows XP. the problem is that i's CPU intensive and I dont rcomend it on any system slower than 1.6ghz.

-Blade FireLight