ufo enemy unknown dos version

jock113

:D

I first started playiny ufo eu on my Amiga a long time ago. I have started playing it again from a cd purchased on ebay.

My problem is this:-

When I reach a downed UFO and attempt to recover it my Skyranger lands and one of two things happen:-

i) I disembark my men and the screen goes blank and then skips to the combat report screen.

ii) I don't even have to disembark my men before it skips to the combat report screen.

This is getting annoying as I can't recover any live aliens for research or enjoy the combat side of the game.

Is there anything that can be done to over ride or correct this fault?

Thanks,

Jock113

There was at least one DOS version distributed on CD; I picked it up on budget in about 1996.

In answer to your question, Jock, those symptoms normally mean a corrupt savegame somewhere. I don't recall the details, but it's a fairly well-known problem that someone should be able to help you with.

:D

Have got some advice from our Stateside Commanders. While in the DOS window delete contents of the MISSDAT file. This works for approximately 20 missions, but be warned, do not use it during a retrieval mission of intercepting a UFO as this causes it to crash. Have found the best time is after recovery of a UFO having saved the result of the encounter.

I've got a DOS version on CD. My best game ever on superhuman, just completed a battleship recovery and the damn thing just gives me 5 mins of geoscape then goes blank and whisks me back to the start of the mission. I've never had any problems with it before, and now.....

Fullauto: I know what you mean. Only, in my case, I had a pair of battleships appear on radar, but they weren't moving anywhere. Not feeling too worried, I let this odd 'bug' slide. I saved the game for some reason. A few game hours later, the game crashes (reloads a previous mission - or whatever was stored in the missdat directory at the time). I reload, it crashed again at about the same time. In fact, it kept on crashing every time I reloaded.

However, when I reloaded a savegame a few hours earlier to the last savegame, the battleships didn't appear and everything went fine.

I think, in some cases, it's just a minor corruption in the game state information. Nothing serious. Just load an earlier save. A good reason for using two or more savegames for any particular campaign, I guess.

If this bug (or whatever bug that causes random crashes in the Geoscape) happens in the CE edition, it would bomb right back to the operating system. It's something about the fact that the dos version's main game loop (a batch file) isn't what crashed, only one of the two main game executables, whereas in the CE, the main executable crashed.

- NKF