Help me, please!

Garland

Ugh... Maybe I'm not just cut out for this game. I'm usually pretty good at strategy games, but this... It seems like my squad of four can be taken out by a single first tier alien with a gun. I can handle chompers and danglelflies, but the more humanoid aliens sometimes completely waste me. The story seems *really* good, but I'm never going to finish it at the rate I'm going. I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I just seem to always get my butt kicked. I have two soldiers with shotguns and two with dual pistols... One of my shotgunners seems to need to be 4 feet away from the enemy just to have a 12% chance of hitting it. Everybody has no armor, except a light helmet. If I have to fight two slimethrowers, one of those humanoid aliens, and a chomper at the same time, I might as well just give up. Anybody have any advice on how to get better at this game?

well if u say your prity good at strategy then u should... be good at this...i'm bad at those but i bought the game cause i liked X com..... finishe the game on hard in 5 days.... must say the russian mission was a shoke...but the rest...well i'm just a good learner....use those crners....use long range weapons and nades alot....in bases...use shot guns and smgs....and get some armour as well that helps alot....humen weapons are prity good.....so keep using them until the russian mission comes up...and after that u might want to use them.....cause there risistance to bullets is smaller then to there weapons

At your point in the game you need to get better armours and better rifles. Equip each soldier with the best armour you have, a medikit and two grenades. Drop the shotguns, at most have one soldier with a shotgun, equip the rest with uzis. As soon as you get some heavier rifles use them, like the M4 or the G3. Dont do ufo crash sites this early one, focus on getting more bases.

What part of the game are you in? You weapon description indicate the very start (just chompers, flies, morelmen and cudgels). In that case, use Uzi's and one or two shotguns and use the ambush tactics. Choose missions where the chance of cover is good (city missions :blink: ). Lure the mongrelmen/cudgel with the uzi's and ambush them with the shotguns. They normally die with one shot ;)

IMO handguns are useless in this game. I only use the Uzi in the beginning, because they have a better range then the shotgun. As soon as you capture bases or kill some rifle wielding enemies (morelmen, cudgels or flies) the uzi's are obsolete.

If you are later in the game, use at most one shotgun for the rushing chompers (et al.) and equip the rest of your soldiers with the more advanced rifles.

About your soldier who can't seem to hit a thing with a shotgun: Sorry for the obvious question - but what is his 'rifle' skill? The better the skill the further he can shoot effectively.

Some basic tactics and advice.

- The use of 2 handguns at the same time is useless. It will only shoots with the one in the "active" hand. Anyway, don't use pistols, and look at your soldier's statistics when choosing a weapon for him. For example, if his rating at Marksmanship skill is Good, Rifles skill Poor and Handguns skill Good, you should probably choose a sniper rifle for long range, and an UZI kind of weapon for short range.

- Always have a couple of grenades with every soldier. Smoke grenades will be useful if you can use them right and once you get them if you haven't already. Remember, you can throw grenades over obstacles, and you can destroy obstacles (except buildings) with them.

- The ammo type of every conventional weapon is either Hard, Universal or Soft. Once you have researched an autopsy of an enemy, you'll know what kind of weapons/ammunition are best against it.

- Personally, I always walk when looking for enemies, or when just moving somewhere. I run only when I have to. Why? Because when you walk, your Observation and Stealth skills are more efficient than when running. i.e. when you walk, you will not be seen so easily and you will see the enemies easily. When you run, you will be seen quite easily and the enemies will hide from you more easily.

- Use ambush tactics. That is probably only possible in city and base missions, where you should use rifles, UZIs and shotguns for ambushes. When you're in the open, don't use close combat weapons (see the statistics of the weapons to see the max and efficient ranges of the weapon) as your main weapon. Rifles, sniper rifles etc. are good for open terrain missions.

- Light armor is very light, so you will want to use both helmet and body armor. It gives you much better protection against the human guns than just clothes. You did know that there are enemies that carry human-made weapons, didn't you?

- Don't try playing a :blink: in this game.

Off you go!