What Soldier Voice Annoys You Most?

DarkCm

Brian (the 2nd guy) is good. Some of the Slavic guys are good too. I found the Indian accents a bit funny... but passable in a "Goodness Gracious Me" kind of way. Most of the Southern Merkin accents were terrible. I have nothing against those kinds of accents, but they do not sound like the real thing, more like a distorted version of the real thing. Don't let me start about their dialogue either.

Must... kill... Malcom... :devil:

I turned them off during the tutorial. They pissed me off there and then.

Did they deliberately employ the most annoying people they could find? Does anyone else dislike endlessly repeating voices?

Starcraft, Baldur's Gate etc - they all get the voices turned off. They're funny once, but when you hear it again it's annoying.

The German dudes are cool ^__^ After blowing up something really puny with a huge-ass RPG launcher, which sent blood flying 200 feet across the level, what does he say?

I think I got him.

xDDD Silly foreigners.

RPG launcher? Blood 200 feet? "think"?

Your guy needs glasses! :blink:

Did they deliberately employ the most annoying people they could find? Does anyone else dislike endlessly repeating voices?

Finding good voice actors is pretty hard. Out of the various professional voice-actors out there, there's a few only a good ones (which is why you hear them all the time: Chuck Adler, Hillary Haag, Spike Spencer, David Warner, Melissa Disney to name a handful). There's probably not more than about 40 good voice-actors in the continental US, and they don't come cheap.

A lot of folks think you can stand someone in front of a microphone, have them repeat their lines a few hundred times, pick the best and have done, but most people come out sounding very stilted. Sometimes they get better. Remember JA2, with Ira's voice actress? She comes over horribly wooden in the early lines, but manages to eventually improve a lot by the end of the script from practice. (A pity they didn't have her go back and redo the early lines again) Most voice 'talent' (and I use the term advisedly) just doesn't get that sort of chance to get into it, and I feel that game development budgets are generally based around the notion that almost anyone can stand at the microphone and sound okay, so why spend the big bucks on the big names?

Finding a good voice on a tight budget is basically hit-and-miss. Even auditions costs money, because you have to use the studio...

Once you've hit your limit, there's no way the execs are going to let you spend more time and money on more auditions, so you're pretty stuck with what you have.

It would be cool if you could record your own voice files and add them, like in Baldur's Gate. Couldn't be too difficult to implement. Maybe even if instead of starting life with Malcolm, you get to choose your first soldier, so it's like you, with your chosen voice and visage, and maybe even skills, like in JAgged Alliance.

But, such a minor point really.

The blond shorthair lady, is my morale Captain:

"I made it" "More orders?" "Now what?" "Here comes trouble" "More orders" "I've been shot" "He's dead" (I am not sure if she means me or the alien). "Good riddence"

I got one guy, who besides Malcolm is actually worse than Malcolm. I use to think Malcolm was bad, until this guy showed up, and his voice is worse~~ that's all I can say.

Then I have another one, who I rather just shoot.. Duh!

Can't get rid of my Morale Captain, anyway she's getting better with better levels.

One of my best, as I got her, as a Scientist, PSI, and Sniper right off the bat in the easy game.

She's gonna kill them all~~ perhaps (I may have to reload just to see), or she may kill me~~ or all the men, perhaps!

:blink:

Morale Captain here: (second one from left, next to Malcolm)

https://www.geocities.com/dimensionalcitize...Aftermath1.html

She's the only one so far that talks that way.

I actually got another lady, that does say "Duh" now, in the game.

She's gonna be another pistol, in the game, not use a pistol!

Dark-haired -- Margaret!

Once you get use to the game, they feel the void of feeling lonely on those maps, and in the game!

Although I did set some options different.

Address them all in the equipment screen in a tactical battle, and click on every one, when going from the equipment screen, back to the main map of the tactical battle, they answer all at once.

Makes me laugh!

Ya, but the blonide doing all the yacking can spot an alien miles away, and shoot it from a mile away also. She just went into the lead and into Level 8 ahead of Malcolm and Micheal, just by a little. Sent her with some newbies out on a mission in the tundra, while the others were healing from some injuries.

She can spot an alien from across the map, although she also may be trying to kill me also.

Oh, well, just having some fun!

I do have one guy, who always, says the same thing. "Waiting for an order, Sir", now he is about driving me crazy, with that slow talking line of his.

I think the voice are ok. YOu guys must be looking for something to complain.

edit: Change that. I got this gal with a bad attitude. She say these

What do you want now? Where is my orders!

It sounds like she is blaming mo for not queuing the order "WAIT" after every plan.

The woman with the fake French accent tops my list. And I can't get rid of her because she is my only good grenade thrower. However, my favourite is the fake Eastern European with the lisp who sounds like a stereotypical Igor in a low budget horror film.

To be fair to the developers, if they had used genuine accents, most of us would be complaining about being unable to understand half the voices in the game.

I used to have a soldier with homosexual inclinations at the beggining of the game (won't mention names, there are not that many guys named after a calendar month :blink: I was about to fire him, but for his worst he got ambushed by 5 aliens in his last mission and accidently was hit by a friendly grenade . . . What a bad luck !