Where...

Fatigue

*Sigh*

This should be posted in flashing print when the site comes back up.

It's illegal to download X-COM. Every game is still owned by Atari and is supported. Please don't ask.

But as for a place to buy, if there aren't any stores around that still sell it, try places like Ebay or Amazon. I see new copies popping up there all the time. And they can get as cheap as 4 dollars.

I saw an advertisement for a new release of a game collection called Atari - 80 classic games on sale. I haven't been successful at finding any copies (or Aftermath, for that matter) here in NZ, but if anyone can find it, could you check the game list? 80 games is rather a lot, so there's a chance that there might be a copy of the X-Com games on it.

It could be 80 classic Commodore games and an emulator, but hey, it's worth keeping any eye out.

- NKF

Ahm....

What you just said Bob,they know it and that's why they don't have UFO!

And,last time I checked,TFTD was released.

If a Company specifically asks them (supported by IDSA of course)

they remove a download.It (unfortunately) happens all the time.

But TFTD's still there,and UFO is'nt.

Make your own conclusions.

Ahm....

What you just said Bob,they know it and that's why they don't have UFO!

And,last time I checked,TFTD was released.

If a Company specifically asks them (supported by IDSA of course)

they remove a download.It (unfortunately) happens all the time.

But TFTD's still there,and UFO is'nt.

Make your own conclusions.

Um... What?

He's just saying that because the apropriate companies have not taken the same action to remove TFTD from 'abandonware' and other '-ware' sites as they did with UFO, that TFTD is technically no longer supported and can be freely distributed.

That's not quite true.

I'd wait on it until Atari (or the owner of the hour) writes in big neon letters that "X-Com: TFTD is now in the Public Domain™/is free to distribute! Rejoice and be merry" or likewise. Until then, any conclusions we can make regarding the state of the game will be premature.

- NKF

hey guys,

NKF- I held that Atari 80 games in one in my hands last week, didn't look that flash, and in the same store i got UFO for AUS$10.

Yesterday, I saw TFTD going for AUS$10 too on EBay in Australia.

Also on ebay is ufo all the time and apoc, it never sells for some reason...

Were there any of the X-Com games on it? Or was it a collection of real classics like Missile Command, Frogger, the Zork games (and other text adventures using the same engine, like the Hitch Hiker Guide to the Galaxy), Temple of Apshai, Pac Man, Asteroids, etc?

I wouldn't mind getting a new copy of TFTD, actually. Once I get it, I'm never, ever, going to let it out my sight ever again. Never. NEVER! *frothes at mouth*

- NKF

I would like to point out it is not illegal to download any software if you are not paying for it!! However if you have to pay for it ie a copy from the internet onto a disk that is illegal because laws state that when you buy a game you buy a piece of that copyright so you may copy it and give it people as long as no profit is made from it. Okay.

Sorry just had to point this out.

I would like to point out it is not illegal to download any software if you are not paying for it!! However if you have to pay for it ie a copy from the internet onto a disk that is illegal because laws state that when you buy a game you buy a piece of that copyright so you may copy it and give it people as long as no profit is made from it.

I'm not sure I understood you...however if I did than I'm afraid you're quite wrong.

Bob?

Even has the original Battlezone on it...

The "Original Battlezone"?

Go on...

Ebay X-Com never sells because the world has been deluged by UFO for the PC.

I cried very hard one day when I let the only ever PAL PSX version of TFTD slip from my hands at Ebay. It was barely minutes away from being mine. I literally wept. I have been looking for the PSX version fo TFTD for nearly 6 years now. It was heart wrenching...

I would like to point out it is not illegal to download any software if you are not paying for it!!  However if you have to pay for it ie a copy from the internet onto a disk that is illegal because laws state that when you buy a game you buy a piece of that copyright so you may copy it and give it people as long as no profit is made from it. Okay.

Sorry just had to point this out.

Haha! This is funny.

Whenever you install a game, do you know that little copyright text that always comes up? That kinda says you're wrong. It clearly states that because you bought the game you can only use it for personal use and charges can be pressed if you distribute the software or copy it.

The same thing applies to movies, didn't you ever read the text that comes up prior to a movie that has the FBI warning on it? Says the same thing.

Even has the original Battlezone on it...

The "Original Battlezone"?

Go on...

There was a Battlezone before the 3d-hover tank simulator of the same name came out. I don't know more than that, I'm afraid.

- NKF

Hehe Strong Bob, I was going to say something similar but I was busy putting the rest of the site up ;)

It's worth noting that even if it's not illegal to download stuff for free in your particular country, most games are copyrighted under US copyright laws, which means that US law applies, so the few people in the past who've tried to justify copying games that are "old" on that count are equally wrong.

Copyright law is not something to be taken lightly. So many little points in it designed, quite rightly, to catch you out :D