Kneeling

ShadowBlade

I found kneeling to be useless... You can stand someone behind one of your standing guys and he'll still be able to shoot through... No noticable defensive or offensive bonuses when kneeling, AND it just gives the aliens more chances to hit you.

Try getting your guys to run away from a kneeling position when a rocket is heading straight for him! that's 3 seconds to stand up, half a second to turn, half a second to fly several feet because of rocket exploding on your backpack.

Tends to be how well the aliens can see you as far as I can tell. If you duck down behind a suitably large object (not a rubbish bin... ever tried hiding 5-6 feet of soldier with backpack and gun behind a bin? :withstupid:) then the aliens/transgenants don't tend to be able to see you as quickly and may even have to come around the object to blow your head off.

I don't have any statistics to back that up, that's just the way it seems to have played out in my games ;)

i think what matri meant was not that it makes it easier for the aliens to hit you, but give them mor opportunities to shoot at you, as it takes time to kneel and again takes tiem to stand up if you need to. time in which you can't be shooting back.

I have personally found that while kneeling doesn't add to accuracy, it DOES make the aliens have to come around objects/corners, making it easier to set up nice warm reception parties... I mean ambushes for them where all your team members can get a bead on the alien instead of just one or two of your team being able to see them around a corner.

At least that's my experience so far...

Kneeling defo does NOT add to % of hitting when kneeling comparedto standing. I did a lill test an the % was exactly the same. Only difference was my standingguy got KOed while my kneeling guy took him out. so to me thats my reason for kneeling and as Edge said to create ambushs an crossfires.

my experience...

in the Russian base mission, in the 2nd part, i just sent my fastest guy to retrieve the package. He was armed with a Neostead and got to the package w/o trouble. On the way back, he met up with a lot of enemies. I eventually had to back myself into a small room and try to ambush them as they came in. If I stood up while waiting, the aliens could spot me and shoot at me right away. When I was crouched, they had to come nearer to me and this let me fire off some more shots before they could fire. This saved him! I believe in the crouch!

By kneeling you present a smaller target to the enemy, so it is more difficult too hit, that's why you always have too seek for cover, my overal tactic is when I have a firefight to maintain fire by a few guys while one is using cover too get close and toss a grenade, I always kneel behind at least something when I fight, walls are best because your soldiers will bent too the side and fire and go back.

i find that if i give 2 of my best rifle shooters sniper rifles and keep them kneeling they can often pound away at extreme range before the enemy can even fire back. also, i have noticed that whenever i have a group close together those that are standing will draw fire, as if the enemy is choosing to shoot at standing targets cos he gets a better chance of hitting them. i often get a guy with good dodge and armour to stand so that he draws fire as he doesn't take as much damage if he IS hit. i am relatively early into this game so maybe i am partially wrong but certainly guys that are standing DO draw enemy fire.

also, kneeling at a corner means there is even less of a target for the enemy to shoot at while your guy leans and shoots around that corner.

but, as i said, it's early days yet.

but i haven't lost a guy yet. and have only suffered 4 hospital visits and now occupy whole of north america, caribbean and am about to take a base in UK.

gawd i lurve this game!

pity we can't go prone tho. that's a real shame!

das :alien2:

Kneeling does NOT make your characters harder to hit!  Though it's interesting what you said about making them less visible, making ambushes easier.
Bit of a contradiction - less visible is harder to hit :withstupid:;)

It would have been nice to be able to crawl though, as you can't stay kneeling down and approach aliens, you have to provide a full-sized target... Ah well!