How good REALLY is this game?

][-sHeZ-][

The demo is on the new PC Gamer - try that first if you're not sure.

I'm a fan of the "UFO series" (even though this isn't part of it) and I'm pretty sure you'll love it.

The base-building and funding side has been simplified, but the stats system has been enhanced. Graphically it's lovely and smooth.

It's very much more a "squad combat game" than before, but still plenty of research and development.

Just make sure you're happy playing at 1024x768 as you get no choice! Also, there is a patch out now so get that.

It's not a part of the official X-COM series - it's a game made in the style of that series. The offical games are now owned by Hasbro, who I think is now owned by Atari (who used to be Infogrammes). This game is made by Altar who are nothing to do with it.

Check it's on the disc before buying PC Gamer - it might be on next months.

The game will play like a charm with this spec:

1.5GHz

64Mb GeForce 3 Ti or Radeon 8500

256Mb RAM (512Mb best for XP).

So you'll run like a beauty with an FX. I've got a 9800 running with X16AF and X6 AA and I'm capped at my monitor refresh rate it's so fast.

I loved the original two UFO games, but couldn't really get into lasersquadnemesis .. and this .. this game does the originals complete justice, I can't think of too many ways that they could've done it better. I am over the moon. Makes me almost wish I still did game journalism, just so I could give it the attention it deserves.

I just love this game and recon I'll be playing it at least at all startingpoints and ofcourse on Hard difficulty all the way :-) Graphics are great, considering this is a strategic game and not some graphicsorgy of a first person shooter. This is no instant gratification game however, you have to play it a good while until you really get the hang of it and decide if you love it or not. I was very sceptical at the start, but seeing the progress of the game, story, research and items I now love the game. Don't be surprised if halfway out in your first game you decide to restart the game and do it all again in a better way because now you know the game and you want to be more effective in strategy, research and expansion. I did :withstupid:

My machine specs for the game is:

AMD XP1800+

768 mb PC133 SDRAM

GeForce3 Ti200 64 mb

SB Live!

It runs like a charm on that. My neighbour has another setup:

PIII 500mhz

GeForce2 MX

128 mb PC100 SDRAM

Soundblaster 128

and still on this system it runs very good.

Z.

If as you said you completed all of the of other titles then the chances are you'll be comparing it to them and may well be very dissapointed.

Don't know, I've had the game for a week and have stopped playing now until the games is patched properly (it is REALLY that bad). I don't want to spoil an otherwise reasonable plot with my experiences of the large number of bugs and design flaws. Personal choice and I'm not recommending it to anyone else.

Good advice to play the demo. I'll be downloading it or getting it off of PC Gamer anyway as I am curious as to how they're going to present it in a way that isn't going to scare potential customers off. So I'll let you know how they compare.

I went in HMV on release day in the morning and they only had 2 copies and they weren't even in the "new releases" bit - they were on the bottom shelf with all the old games.

Game only had about 6 copies but at least they were on the new releases board.

I've had very little trouble with bugs, and they all have trivial workarounds anyway so don't be put off.

@Smurf

I've played the game twice up until the point where you attack the secret Russian base and until that point in the game I have not encountered any major bugs or flaws except the unlimited ammo-bug for the alien power cell. The game has run smooth without exception up until now, atleast. Though I can't say, yet, if there's any other worse bugs to be expected further ahead though.

Z. :withstupid:

I haven't encountered any real problems and I'm loving the game. Patched the game just when I got it last friday. Played all the others UFO's and I can honestly say that in my opinion this is extremely good game. :withstupid:

I would rank UFO games like this.

1. UFO ( LOVE IT )

2. UFO Aftermath ( LOVE IT )

3. UFO 2 ( LIKE IT VERY MUCH )

4. X-Com Apocalypse ( OK GAME )

But this is just my opinion.

:o HMV & game.... ill try after college, but i still cant believe that bastard who told me that it aint out yet :@

Have they changed it back to turn based or is it still free movement, or do u have a choice like you did on X-Com Apocalypse?

cheers all for ur help, ill prolly get back to you when i play the game.

If I can drag meh self off the game :withstupid:

@Shez, any chance you can stop swearing, jsut in case tehre are kiddies running about on this forum?

We tend to be okay with the occasional "bloody hell" or "bugger" or "sod it" but not too many in the same topic or post like I just did :withstupid:

Thanks. ;)

I have one thing which seems to be very annoying in my point of view and so is - THE VOICES ... :D They are really AMATEUR made ... I would make better myself I believe - They look not HARD enough to please the real strategic player like ME and I believe for example Slaughter have the same opinion - Is that right Olaf . I saw it and listened to it only for 5 minutes but my impression was not good ;) . REMEMBER INCUBATION - WHAT A VOICE and comments the soldiers had - SOOOOO GREAT ... "Go play somewhere else" or other EVERLASTING sentences :withstupid: . I am lucky I will play ENGLISH version because the Czech is going to be even WORSE as allways . CAN WE turn the voices off ? Is it possible ? I don't know .

"crapgame" has been banned from all sites and forums across my network for flagrantly abusing forum rules and privileges, signing up with an unacceptable member name, altering his e-mail account after sign-up to something very pro-terrorism and anti-american, thusly providing a false method of contact, spamming, shooting the game down without much in the way of reason...

You can click on his member title and view the full list of posts made by this user to see more of why action was neccessary.

Should crapgame wish to switch IP or even attempt to re-enter the forums to do the same, his ISP will be contacted and notified of his actions.

I think I'm running out of stuff to say, and some of the above isn't in the forum rules (yet), so anyone who wishes to comment on my decision can feel free to send me a personal message (without fear of similar action naturally ;)).

Topic will remain open, as the majority of posts (ie all without "crapgame" posting) are sticking to forum guidelines and are generally coherent :withstupid:

Here's my two pence. Very good game and well worth what I paid for it (£22.50 @ Amazon). I'm a big UFO player and I think this fits in nicely with the new thinking behind this series (although I freely acknowledge this is not officialy part of the UFO/XCOM series). Sure, there are a few minor annoyances but they can be switched off or patched and they certainly don't render the game unplayable. All in all, an extremely competent effort by Altar and if this is the quality of game they will produce then we have a lot to look forward to from this developer!

Just like to add, you don't need an uber vid card to run this game. I'm using an old GEForce2 GTS in an AMD 2000XP with 512MB DDR and it runs without a hiccup.