Paypal Donations for Altar

rasuloman

I didn't know where to put this topic, so here it is.

Does anybody know how much do the programmers get out of those $40? I've read somewhere it's only one dollar, while the rest goes to publishers, retailers, and other necessary parasites.

So my question is, how would the fans respond if Altar created some sort of tip jar where fans could contribute something just for the programmers? If I paid $40, it wouldn't mean much to me if I gave them $1 or $5 or even $10, especially if I liked the game and knew that only the guys who created the game got it. And for the multitude of pirates of all sorts, they would have the chance to battle the establishment (like that's the real reason :blink: ) while also supporting the artists and relieving their consciences. This would also be a nice way of saying thanks for listening to our suggestions while the game was in development, and ensuring that they continue to do so for the upcoming sequel.

I understand this could be a controversial issue, and Altar team could have its reasons for not doing it. The game is already beyond gold, so the publishers should be satisfied already. So maybe some of you who have connections with Altar could suggest this and see what they say.

Let's give power back to the programmers! :rolleyes:

Seems like a good idea, especially seeing as I've already noticed a few copies flying around the filesharing networks. Seeing as there's no obvious copyright protection, not even a serial number to enter, it may well turn out to be the programmers main source of income.

A tricky subject really.

We've already done our bit for them by paying 30 quid for the thing. If you want to give the programmers more money then you should lobby the publishers to give them a higher percentage of the profits.

Otherwise, every time I buy a game I'm effectively paying an extra fiver to compensate for all the pirating scum out there (you know who you are).

I am happy to continue supporting the dev in the way the market works - if they produce a good game I will buy it. If they produce a lame game my money will go to someone else.

I don't see the point in downloading games. I did that a couple of years back and I found I wasn't enjoying it. You simply don't put the care or effort in when you've not paid for it and read the manual (not that you get many manuals now).

I buy a game after playing a demo and liking it, unless I'm already a huge fan like with UFO. If I made a bad call I sell the game on Amazon and buy another (usually for a loss of 5 pounds but it's worth it for the time I did play).

So, if you want to show your appreciation - don't lend your copy of UFO to your friends! Ensure that they buy it too.

If you want to have a mean view of this.

Altar signed a contract with Cenega which set the amount of money they would recieve, whether this was a lump sum or a % whatever. if they want more then they should have negotiated a better contract. as neither Altar or Cenega are likely to make public these terms we'll not know how much Altar get. I very much doubt it's a mere £1 per game.

Certainly in many situations the publishers take the lions share of the profits, however Cenega are not a large publishing company that needs to take disproportionate amount of the profit to support their top heavy infrastructure.

Considering the amount of contract negotiations Altar went through they probably got a good deal.

I think it's a good suggestion, but I don't really think ALTAR would want it. I will talk to them about it however.

And don't think for a second that ALTAR got a very good deal Amenable. I know nothing of the deal, but consider this: ALTAR had been searching for a LONG time for a publisher when Cenega agreed, and they were probably grateful for whatever they could get.