Your UFO:AM style

Amenable to Change

Just out of curiosity, I'm playing UFO pretty slow. My last tac mission I spent about an hour cleaning out a base. Ok so I'm playing hard and I only had 3 soldiers with uzi's that had used all their grenades already and several medkits just to get to the base. Against 8 aliens all with rifles that out ranged my soldiers.

But when I read the forum post's I'm seeing, OMG I already stolen da enemy UFO and flew to the alien planet and setup a base on the homeworld. gg.

I'm thinking either there are people who don't have other things to do, (lucky them) or and quite probably it is also true that I suck.

Here's what I do as a rule:

1. Look at where the mission is. This will decide whether I go for long rifles or assault rifles, and the amount of explosives carried.

2. I then assign the appropriate troops - everyone else goes in training.

3. When the mission starts, I switch to "walk mode" and crouch without moving. In about 5 seconds any alien around the start postion is dead.

4. I then split the team into a 3 and a 4. The 3 are all high observation/stealth and move ahead as spotters. The rest leapfrog behind them with the long-range gear.

5. Both teams move about 10 "game metres" at a time with a "halt" in between for having a look around.

With this approach I've done every mission without a reload and no casualties except for Area 51 and the first time I met a Deathbellows. I'm not that far though - only 17 bases and just starting to see the red growth on the map.

I use similar tactic as systems.

scout-control-move. engage enemy from as far as possible and concentrate fire.

3 guys are snipers with high scouting ability

3 are with assault rifles (they move forward when team must go through a narrow pass)

1 is a hevy trooper with rocket/grenade/plasma launcher

this is not a fixed squad however, for some missions different loadouts are required. But that squad is most commonly used by me for mopup/scout/human base missions.

In wilderness battles I have more snipers.

So my battles are slow- I like to keep things secured and under control.

I never go in guns blazing

• 2 weeks later...

my team is just simple and always works :D

4 players with alien laser rifles because it's fast/longrange rifle with higher damage try imagine that, 4 laser rifles shoot on one alien after a few shots he''s die ;) it's good for both close or far combat

1 player with that special shotgun that does damage of 900 (forgot a name, but it's standard human wep.) ít've very bad range, but very high damage.

1 RPG for blow everyting or a group aliens up.

sniper rifles suck! it's poor weapon because alien come almost always near my players, sniper weapons is not a good combatweapon in emegrency.

it's because FIREPOWER!! :withstupid:

Well, I have 2 snipers, 2 rifle experts, 1 demo expert, one allround and one handguns/scout expert.

The two sniper gals carry shotguns in their inventory, and the demo guy a laser pistol.

I never refit, i prefer to carry what I need in the backpacks. that means i can switch strats on the fly, that's especially nice in 2 part missions. Snipers switch to shotguns in a base. Often, i will only use those two for base combat. They are both great at dodging and speed, and has high hit points due to heroic willpower.

There's almost nothing they don't stop in one shot in a base. and the shotgun sound is so satisfying :P

the allround guy has a grenade launcher, lots of grenades, medkit, and a mp7, he's really stocked :D

Bases and crashed ships(everywhere were you can meet greys): 4 with psi projector, 2 with enhanced plasma rifle and 1 with HK G11 K5 or Steyr Aug(depends on ammo left)

All other missions: Replace psi projector with Advanced Alien Laser Rifle

And before i had psi-projector or enhnaced plasma rifle i had:

All around: 2 with steyr aug or HK, and the rest with alien laser rifle(when one got them ofcours and the plasma projector(i think its name is) as backup on each soldier

I have not quite reached the russian mission, but my missions have already gotten a little harder. Anyway, here is how I play:

My team is based on my tactics, and my tactics are based on killing enemies quickly and as soon as I see them. Therefore I don't take any weapons with a range below 35 in aimed mode. Basically I equip 3 members of my team with Alien Laser Rifles, 3 with Human Assault rifles of range 35+, and 1 with a grenade launcher (can't recall the exact name of the item).

My outdoor tactics, since RPG's are not yet being used against me, is to stay in a tight group and try to apply as much damage to the enemy as possible as quickly as I can. The tight group helps with this because often by the time I see or am seen 4 or 5 guns can be brought to bear on an enemy. Other than that I just go straight for the goal.

For indoor missions I split into two groups, one with my 3 people in heavy armor, and one with 4 people in combat or sun armor (so they all move at similar rates). Then I just move quickly through the level and try to get it over with as quick as I can.

So far I have never had to reload because of deaths in a combat mission, and i have only had more than 1 person seriously injured in 2 missions out of over 50 total, so my tactics are working well for me to this point.