Too hard

Sh1000

I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this..

but it's just not really fun anymore after aliens start using rocket launchers and such..

Now it's like.. ow sh*t.. another heavy -> 50% squad dead...

Especially since they've increased the alien count and given them heavy weapons.. the missions just take too long, because you cant take them on head on

I have no idea.. it wasnt patched and I just did the tutorial, which brings you in game after..

it would be nicer of they made just small parts more difficult.. but they make everything more difficult, like giving the mutants newer weapons..

One of those things.. you get better, but they do too.. I still do like the game.. but I have to do a certain mission (capturing an UFO).. but it's sooo boring sometimes getting killed the same time over and over.

The best way to get those pesky aliens if they outgun you is to ambush them with several people. The best way is to get your soldiers around a corner and kneeling and lure them into the firing line. Then let your guys blast away with the highest damage guns they got.

Doing this you can get them really close before they can shoot, so you get a good hit chance, and if your lucky you can sometimes take them out without them firing a shot.

Other than that Grenades are a fine way to even up the odds, and perhaps the best way on open ground.

gnahh those aliens are so frigging unfair ???

they even dare to shoot at my squad and kill or heavy dmg my men ..

oh well the difficulty setting must be Hell on Earth i think

one wrong step and i loose ppl .. time to develop some new strategies

at the moment i get my ass whooped by aliens in tactical missions and @ geoscape by the biomass :rolleyes:

well nm *sob* .. think i will start all over again perhaps i missed an important mission or so

I think it's hard enough on normal to be really challenging which is cool as I personally don't like completing games quickly as I never play them again. I don't the game is long enough though. Would be cool to have more stuff to research as well :rolleyes:

After working throught the initial shock of the "shift," I've found that the game balance works its way back to what is considered acceptable as long as research continues, and enough missions are done by my own team and not delegated. The game makes you work for your victories, and really makes you think.

I was worried before: now, I'm just challenged by it, and have vowed to defeat it.

Could someone confirm https://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/?c=FAQ&p=faq#2.5 please. I don't think it's right.

I've worked my way through on the default profile without really knowing was difficulty setting I was on and have got through the Russian mission (outside with tactics and inside with saving and loading in a way that wasn't fun or the way the game is supposed to be played) only to find that like alot of people the game is no longer fun - and to the point where I can't see how to do missions.

So I thought I'd check my difficulty settings by looking at my UFOOptions.txt with an aim of changing it to easy as I'm considering stopping playing it. Only to find it says:

STRUCT "Game"

KEY "difficulty" INT 0

KEY "game_length" INT 0

END_OF_STRUCT "Game"

Well according to that FAQ link:

There you'll see this line: "KEY "difficulty" INT 2". 2 = Hard, 1 = Medium and 0 = Easy. Adjust that as you see fit.

That means I'm playing the game on easy. Well I find that hard to accept as it's NOT easy. I understand that this game is hard compared to convential games (which I'm fine with) and I understand that the change after the Russian mission is supposed to be marked and to keep the game challenging - fine. But not this hard. And if I'm playing on easy then god help people on medium and hard should be labelled testing only - please dont play.

So - to test this Ive created three other profiles named easy, medium and hard. I've looked at the appropriate UFOOptions.txt files and it's the opposite:

Hard = 0

Medium = 1

Easy = 2

Which means I've been playing on hard (which makes perfect sense to me!). I would like this confirmed and FAQ changed if I'm right. If I'm wrong (and I really have been playing it on easy) accept my appologies and I'll let you know when I've developed a suitable patch to make it easier without completly cheating!

I'm using patched version of game by the way.

well, a hard game doesnt mind me as long as its realistic !!!

i hate the fact that almost all missions can only be won with guariliya *?* (sorry for my bad english) tactics... where are the huge firefights on open ground ?

is it just me, or do the alliens have a 100% hit chance ? they almost never seem to mis, but i cant even burst further dan 12 meter with a fucking m16 ? no thats not realistic, and it makes te game to hard IMO

they should change the hit chance of the alliens

also i hate it that u cant use cover ??? again this is because they never seem to miss

they always shoot OVER the box you stand behind, they always hit the 20 % of your body thats peering behind the corner when i want to pop 5 rounds in his head... they always seem to shoot trought the damn tree your standing behind :rolleyes:

i hate that :blink:

Just to follow up - I've changed my game to:

KEY "difficulty" INT 2

This makes it much easier in the test mission I did - one of my soldiers got hit and took 10% hp loss instead of 40/50% - I took the recticulan (sp?) down with a grenade and a few laser blasts instead of about 12.

This was only a quick test but I feel it adds weight to my request for the FAQ to be changed. If I'm right people who have theirs on medium (1) are setting it to 0 (hard) think it's easy. Unpleasant shock in store :rolleyes:

Quite pleased to have made in through to this point on hard though (just done Russian mission 27th Feb) without losing a soldier (though I do save alot as my nick suggests!).

Just like to confirm, the FAQ is incorrect. "INT 0" is hard, "INT 2" is easy...see if you can guess which one medium is :rolleyes: This answers a question for me, I was a little worried about the difficulty but I've been playing on hard...now it's VERY easy for me on easy!

Well spotted Savegameking!