Some thoughts

61cygni

Hi all,

I've have been playing UFO: Aftermath for a couple of hours now and I like it. But just like with X-Com and TFTD, I'm concerned about the progress I make: Am I doing enough missions, should I do bigger missions, am I upgrading the right abilities for my soldiers...

I just have 3 soldiers and I've tried to do a couple of the "territory"-missions, but I keep getting overrun by creatures early in the mission. Is it possible to do those mission with such a small team or should I wait for more recruits?

Waiting for more recruits is really annoying cause missions keep popping up and I'm wondering if it's bad (for morale? for the general progress of the game?) to decline these missions.

Can anyone give me some (moral) support on this?

(Geez, I sound like one insecure dude in this post :rolleyes: )

I actually forgot how I did the first missions.. I think I did most of the starting missions, but when I encountered the shooting mutants.. I used grenades and lots of them :rolleyes:

Dont know if this will b e much of a help.

And.. if you dont do missions, they can still be done by the other humans left on earth. I think most of the early missions can be finished by simple idling.

I know there are some people on this board who eschew the use of grenades, but early on, they are a godsend. They have a similar range to the early guns, yet can be thrown over obsatcles that block line of sight, and can kill any of the early enemies in a single shot. In other words, three men are enough, but kit them up with loads of grenades.

Until you get some long range weaponry, avoid open (lowlands, highlands etc) missions and stick to the urban missions, where the enemies long range assault rifles won't be (quite) so much of an advantage.

One other thing, I'd suggest saving often. This is a VERY dificult game, and if you don't save, you'll be cursing.

Early on, only go on missions if you have 3 men or more (all wearing the best armour you have). Use 2 uzis, 1 shotgun and load up with grenades to get you on 100% capacity. Also carry 2 medikits.

Take every mission you can, and always go for a new base first if possible. Otherwise expand if possible.

If you have no intention of doing a mission for 2 days (to wait for research, for example), put ALL of your men in training as that always takes about 1.5 days.

When in a new combat, sit tight for a while to see if anyone is at your start location. Try to lure enemies into range of your guy with the shotgun. Never run unless running to cover.

Those tips should help you. Good luck soldier. Once you start meeting enemies with rifles, steal them as it's long range that counts!

I did the earlier missions by giving all my guys uzi's. I then waited for the enemies to come to me and then had the guns on burst mode which downs them really quickly. I then used grenades to kill the creatures that spit that green crap as they can't take explosions.