#21 Smurf

new
Smurf

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:14 PM

Only one complaint?  I have about 30 and I'm still working on the list.

What were they smoking when they designed the tactical missions generator?  The thing creates levels that are so difficult for the characters to navigate that they get all confused and run off in random directions and everyone gets slaughtered.  

Same goes for when you get to a door(and there's a lot of them) and because they can't all get to the door at the same time, to open it, the back row peels off and tries to get to it from the other side.  Which means that unless you're really careful you're left with two or three guys walking into a room full of bugs while the others are getting stuck at another door in a random section of the map.

At first I thought the complete lack of player-side AI was an interesting way of involving you in the battle as you would be forced to micro-manage squad tactics.  But after about two minutes of playing you really start to miss all those little things that have appeared in every tactical shooter since 'Syndicate' was released ten years ago.

For instance, your team stands at a junction and you order them to fire on an enemy at the end of a corridor.  Woohoo..some of your guys'll fire; some won't (depends on the range of your guns) which is fine.  If whatever you're shooting at walks towards you (and they always do because the bad guy AI is appalling) then you would expect the remaining soldiers who were out of range to gradually start firing as it approaches but sadly not.

Oh and no doubt while it's limping in your direction another bad guy will walk out of a door half way down the corridor and slowly wobble towards you in full view of everyone of your soldiers.  Will a hail of bullets cut it in half?..erm well no.  If you're not careful then in about ten minutes it'll have reached you and be knawing at your ankles.

You have to explicitly retarget troops when they see a new enemy or for instance when they're out of sight behind a lamppost; even though every other team member has successfully targeted and engaged.  In fact that applies to every situation where you actually have to do anything other than take a direct line of sight shot.  Your guys won't even move to an adjacent square in order to get a better shot.

None of this would be so bad, if the tactical levels were just a minor facet of the gameplay instead of the focus.  Unfortunately they're not and while the strategic world map viewpoint is a nice idea and fun to play with it's just not enough to balance the dread of having to manually steer half a dozen blind and deaf dolts through an alien base.

Has a single one of the nine programmers or twelve play testers(according to the manual) actually played a game in the last decade?  It doesn't feel like it.

Sorry for the rant.

#22 Pete

new
Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:45 PM

I think a lot of it is really so that EVERY soldier (bar the running around where you haven't told them to go) does EXACTLY what they're told. True, a button to fire at will would be nice, but rarely in tactical engagements where so much is at stake (the world in this case) would you seriously let your men fire at will if yoiu wanted to, say, take something home for research.

They'd utterly annihilate everything! Bad in the later missions when you realise that you really need to researh anything with a beat (or lack thereof).

True, sometimes it's annoying, and maybe some extra controls on teh control box would have been nice, but I don't find it too much of a problem.
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

#23 Smurf

new
Smurf

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 06:08 PM

Pete, on Oct 7 2003, 06:45 PM, said:

They'd utterly annihilate everything! Bad in the later missions when you realise that you really need to researh anything with a beat (or lack thereof).
Try playing an online first person shooter and then suggest to your other team members that they shouldn't fire until the team leader says so...even if they're being shot/eaten/beaten.  

Even if they agree to it then the chances are that the first time they meet a member of the opposite team it'll spontaneously turn into a remake of that scene in Aliens where the guy in the truck commands his marines to not open fire.

While a button to start firing at will would be good, what would be better would be a button requesting them to stop firing, so that specimens could be taken, while mowing down anything that moves.  

They're soldiers in a barren wasteland for goodness sake, it's not like they risk hitting an innocent bystander is it?  And even if there are a few humans left running around a city somewhere, if your guys can't distinguish between them and a car with legs then they've already lost as the aliens have been plying them with psychedelic drugs.

#24 bulldogc

new
bulldogc

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:07 PM

id amost go as far as saying they just took an easy way out of writing ai for them and just passed it off as tacticle command

#25 Predjee

new
Predjee

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 12:02 AM

the fact i cant enter buildings doesnt annoy me very much.... the fact i cant get on the roof DO annoy me :blink: i want snipers on the roof damnit ! ;)

tried clicking on the ladders, rooftops, etc a thousand times, only to find out it will never work :rolleyes::P

#26 Zombie

new
Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:41 PM

So I finally got around to installing UFO Aftermath from the UFO Trilogy I purchased a couple weeks ago. Biggest reason for not installing it right away was that I was enjoying Silent Storm too much. Hehe. :)

Completed the tutorial, but it was a hair-pulling experience. Why, oh why, are all actions dictated by using the right mouse button? That's totally backwards! The left mouse button should be for movement at least, no? Guess not. Is there a way to customize the controls for the game? I want to use my left mouse button again. :)

It's nice that the camera zooming and rotating is the same as in Silent Storm. However, when I hold the control button and press the right arrow, the camera pans the opposite way. Wha? Here again, is there a way to customize the controls so that I'm not relearning how to manage the camera? What kind of Bizarro world were the devs living on? :)

That said, if there is a way to fix these two issues, I could probably learn to play this game a lot more. :)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#27 Zombie

new
Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:00 PM

Another complaint: why do aliens carry human weapons at the start of the game? They sent down these spores to kill most everything off, yet don't have the common sense to equip their troops with advanced alien weaponry to easily exterminate the few living creatures which survived. No, they have to use human weapons for some reason. (Sporting chance maybe? Or they don't want their weapons getting in the wrong hands should they die)? :)

I know very little of the UFO backstory, so can someone fill me in? Maybe there is a clue to why the aliens use human weapons. Or did the developers fail to create a decent backstory to explain this issue? :)

Edit: I just read our Transgenants page which says these creatures are mutated humans or animals. That kinda explains why they carry human weapons. Doesn't really explain why some carry alien weapons though. :)

- Zzombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#28 NKF

new
NKF

Thinker of Mishandled Edges

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:05 AM

Zombies, if you will. :) I'm just guessing they gather the weapons from the bases that you recover. How they get their hands on the reticulan weapons is a mystery, unless they managed to get them the same way you did - through combat. Some of their attacks, especially those hive thingys, are brutal.

- NKF
NKF, wordmakeupper extraordinaire.

#29 Thorondor

new
Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:49 AM

@Zombie:

The ALTARians (namely Lead Designer Mr. Martin Klíma) have given the backstory a good amount of consideration even if that doesn't always optimally transpire in the game.

I recall a post (#95) at the old ALTAR boards that may be of particular interest to you in clarifying some of the reasoning, for instance, behind the relative lack of direct alien intervention on the early stages of Aftermath.

::

And good luck facing those Flappers :)

#30 Zombie

new
Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:23 AM

Thanks, that helps a little. Any more info on the Reticulans?

Id like to point out this statement:

imagine yourself using a pesticide to kill ants in your home: you don't really care if there are some survivors, as long as the colony dies.
True, but the "ants" on Earth have intelligence and guns. Even a small number of hu-mans can wreak havoc on the marauding forces. :)

Maybe the Reticulans assumed that humans posed very little threat to their objective. Still, if they were around longer than humans, they should have the intelligence to figure out (and recognize) that we are a force to be reckoned with. That would require a different strategy other than a lack of interest on their part.  :)

I find it hard to believe that the Reticulans lack forethought and intelligence with eons of evolution under their belt. :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#31 NKF

new
NKF

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:19 AM

The Reticulan's roles in this war become more apparent once you progress to Aftershock. Spoiler:

Spoiler

Though I'm being as vague as I can, and I'm exaggerating the scale for emphasis, I think I've just given away what I personally thought as being Aftershock's "after shock". :)  

- NKF

#32 NKF

new
NKF

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

Thought I'd give my old savegame a spin. One bit of advice I can give regarding the camera is to get used to using your middle mouse button/scroll wheel. Use it for all of your camera operations if need be.

Scrolling the scroll wheel manages the zoom, and holding the middle button in lets you rotate the camera around.

- NKF

#33 Zombie

new
Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

I don't have an external mouse - only a touchpad and a trackball, so no middle button or wheel. Oh, the joys of using a laptop for gaming. :)

I'm managing a little better now with panning the camera, but it's still difficult at times. When you get used to Silent Storm's controls and then jump to this game, it's hard. I'm always expecting the camera to go the way the arrow key is pointing, not the opposite direction. :) Horribly annoying to say the least.

I wonder why this issue hasn't been fixed yet? You would think that either Altar or a modder would have got to it by now. :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users