The Russian Base (later story), how to do it?

zowrath

Hardest difficulty

Start: USA.

Period: Early. I spread out of USA with the goal of coming to contact with that Russian base as fast as possible so currently only got North America and Europe covered.

Equipment: Not producing anything yet. 2 AI L115, 1 super striker, 1 M79 launcher,

I hit the base with 5 experienced troopers and 2 fresh-off-training newbie. Not my best team as they are in hospital after a grueling base defense in Paris.

2 Excellent sniper with AI L115

1 Heroic and 2 Excellent Launcher with 3 RPG7, for highest number of rocket rounds. I used up 19 rounds. Looking back, I should have exchange one RPG7 with a SLAW

1 Excellent and 1 Very good Thrower with a Striker and a M79.The burst mode of the launcher is enough of a kick for alien armor.

I bring 9 medikits and it got used up 6 on the ground battle.

The heaviest opposition on the ground battle:

3 rocket launcher with 1 incendiary, 2 psi.

1 microslug accelerator

I havent count psi projector, plasma gun, or etc...

The left side of the map is relatively bigger, with one depression separate the lower corner and the big flat plain by the wall. I run them over there right on starting, intending to use the brick wall as separator between the inside base force and the outside.

Not a moment too soon because later on it turn out the right side of the map got three aliens which I defeat later. The left side only got 1 which get creamed with just sniper guns and a grenade barrage.

The left side depression mean the grenade launchers down there can not shoot over the edge, but the chasing aliens cant shoot them either. The trio get nearer to take pot shot at my sniper duo at the higher ground left corner, and thus getting hit by both RPG and grenade launchers.

It's a bit of luck to check which aliens fall to sniper guns and thus render the incoming RPG7 rounds useless but overkill rather than under-. I think half of the target unconcious due to sniper fire but If I not fire up the rpg, the rest may just stand and squeeze me like flies. "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL".

Anyway. For the inside base force. I use the wall as a separator and let them come at me through the gate. Extreme overkill by RPG and grenades and sniper fire. Gradually the wall get destroyed, so I have to pull back the team to the edge. During this time my RPG rounds get exhausted so I change them to hand grenade and lob them over the wall. The fastest guy act as spotter with the wall as shelter.

For the second part of the Assault: stay tune!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russian Base, 2nd phase, inside/underground of that facility

The previous battle leave me heavily depleted of ammo: 2 rounds of RPG7 left. About 10 rounds of super striker. Around 10 grenades. Plentiful of sniper bullets. I supplement the lacks with looted advanced laser gun, advanced plasma gun, AND proper tactics.

This time no running solo like the last mission base. We move as one team and concentrate fire in close quarter instead of medium to far range.

We hole up in a proper corner near the library. Enemy pop up around the corner get hit with full barrage. This tactic account of three quarters of the enemies.

The rest hole up in the library which can be quite tricky with a mix of rocket launchers and psi projector.

All in all, the rocket and advanced plasma gun can play merry hell on our tight formation.

Note to self: rocket launcher holders get speed slow down noticeably even with load <100%.

Note about base: A medical Excellent or Heroic is necessary in order to heal enough for both battle but not loaded down with kits that make possible avoiding RL in-your-face at the beginning. 9kits are nearly not enough.