The Russian Base (later story), how to do it?

zowrath

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hmmm: The best is to wait untill your staff will be equipt with Alien Psi Projector and then go and do them. You need to be in any alien armor, do not use heavy. You need to be able to run in keys that they will use launcher. Take them let them to put all amunition down and leave on shot for the other alien. They are not able to take amunition (clips) from the ground and as stupid aliens browsing around. kill after you will take the last one.

I thought nobody mention, luckily there were :blink:

"P S I - P R O J E C T O R"

ANY combination will do as long as u have 2-3 guys with Psi projector, mind control any rocket greys!

For those who don have this lovely equipment yet, go do more ufo missions first- base assault/base defend/ ufo landing/ufo down.... U will get some from the grey

U don have to rush this Russion or any "event triggering" mission, they will always be there. Why waste one whole weekend Reloading/saving this ONE mission :dontgetit:

U can easily do more of other missions in the meantime acquiring more XP, equipment.

I play the game on normal, no problem at all... with Psi projector. Mind controlling jus rox, watch the grey blast themselves to pieces.

My technique is not the best, but it worked. (I never actually pack according to what I know is there, because I can never be certain what will be there, unless I go see and then reload the game, which is cheating.)

I used:

1 Sniper

1 SLAW

1 Psi-Projector

1 Adv. Alien Laser Gun

1 Plasma Rifle

1 Medic with Adv. Alien Laser Pistol

1 Steyr Aug (All my Steyr Augs :blink: )

All with Enh. Light or Enh. Combat armour, as well as Psi Helmets.

Dodged the rockets until I could control one of the aliens, who I used to kill the rocket alien on the road. This controlled alien was also a good distraction.

Then I healed everyone.

I prepared to go THROUGH the wall with the SLAW (this is actually stupid, but I like the idea). One alien came out of the gate, I controlled him and used him for a scout+distraction. Knowing where the aliens are I blasted open the wall, controlled the rocket alien, and he helped me blow everyone up.

When inside, I sneaked all the way around the side into the big room, and then my most stealthy guy sneaked to the briefcase and brought it back. I did not see a single alien inside.

Actually, I found this battle was not too hard...

2x snipers

1x medic

1x grenadier (with the 45m ranged grenade launcher)

2x assault rifle

There was only one alien outside the base, who I waxed right off the bat, then I spread my men out and moved forward. After lobbing a few grenades over the wall, I blew a section of it up. (No-one had come out of the gate, and I was getting a bit bored.)

Out of nowhere: 5 aliens, two with rocket launchers apparently just waiting for me to do that. Nbd, concentrate fire on the rocket-greys. When they launched their missiles, anyone targetted ran for cover. I think the secret with rockets is to spread out your targets without spreading out your firepower. The aliens only got off 2 rockets apiece. At the end of that part of the mission, everyone was injured ... the medic only just made it through alive. Use up a few medpacks and head into the base proper.

I got through this mission barely taking a scratch (a self applied scratch as it happened), so the following could be considered a SPOILER.

I feel I should help out here, as the advice given previously helped me past this seemingly impossible mission.

Having read the first 5 or so posts and realising that I was a long technological hurdle behind most players who'd done it, I decided that only sneaky would do.

I took two guys in my only two sets of Sun Armor. I chose them for speed and throwing ability. Dude A started with a Grenade launcher in hand, Dude B with a smoke grenade.

First move. Smoked myself up and blew a hole in the wall. Switched from launcher to smoke grenade.

From then on the guy in front would lay down smoke 5 paces ahead, the guy about 5 paces behind would run to the new smoke grenade. Rinse and repeat all the way to the end of part 1. I never even saw the enemy.

Part 2 - Switch to grenade launchers. Run from corner to corner, blowing down doors (only those you have to open) from a distance. When seeing the enemy, launch then hide, so long as both grenades land near that'll do it. I avoided the main long corridor to the left of it. I had to kill about 3 or 4 guys wearing the reddish armor. I only scratched one of my guys because I met an alien at point blank range and the wall past it was just a bit too close.

hi, this question is probably not on topic but it is relivent to the russion mission. :blink: a) wot level team do you usualy send to the russion mission and B) will the russion mission disaper if the biomass gets there bifor i do.

P.S. wots with the aliens that are packin cruse missel lornshers. :hmmm:

The Russian base mission never dissappears until you sucessfully complete it, regardless of biomass, and what level soldiers you send out depends on your tactics.

The game designers give you a hint has to how to do the Russian base mission. The message that tells you there may be an intact base in the Rusian steppes tells you that a mission there should be "incorporated into your strategy", which is different to "go there right away and get massacred".

I waited until I had the more advanced technology that comes with the difficulty increase. You can pick up Sky armour, psi projectors, Microslug accelerators and rocket launchers on your next alien base assault mission. Alien base assault missions are easier because there are fewer aliens and they are spread over a wider map.

When you have Sky armour and Psi projectors, the Russian base mission becomes a walk in the park.

I did it with 2 Sniper Rifles (PSG-1 and a AWP), 2 strikers with flame grenades 1 with a RPG-7 and the rest with G-11 Assault Rifles. 1 Guy in Sun Armor, 2 in Heavy Armor, the rest in Improved Combat Armor.

My first try, we got spammed to death by the warp pistols. But I reloaded the game and concentrated fire on the closest ones, then got spread out and had the snipers and strikers chew up the RL greys.

Then I put a hole in the wall, got everyone into position and killed them with small arms fire and Incendiaries grenades and striker shells as they came through.

Then once we got inside, we were back to fighting Laser Guns and Pistols... We were using the G-11s, while the Strikers switched to plasma guns they picked up outside and the RPG-7 person used a Scorp. The outside was MUCH harder than the inside.

well to start off with I had everybody in enhanced C armor (I think) and i had everyone run away from the road just to get away from the most of them and Id sit there and dodge rockets till thay ran out and let them wonder in to my sights and then have everybody blow the hell out of them. I just kept doing that till thay stoped coming. Then I used the super striker ( you could just use a gernade if you wanted to) and blow the the very end section of the base wall and go about ________________________ that far from the opening and stand against the wall and let them start comeing through there and pick em off. ( The only bad part about the stand by the wall is if a rocket hit you but usually are able to pick them off before thay shoot anyway ) Im 2 for 0 with it. Im on easy though just to get the hang of the game.

:blink:

I want to go at them with a tank! Anyway, I just entered this mission in Russia and have attempted it 3 times. As soon as my operators are on the LZ I am engaged. I tried sweeping back into the far corner but have one alien in this corner of which I dispatch quickly. I then place the operators in a defensive parimeter. Four men are armed with PSG I 's and 2 have the light anti tank weapons, one has the basic laser. Reason is I only have one. Three are armored with heavy armor, the rest are wearing the next up from light armor. The aliens seem to be armed with at least three area effect launchers that smoke my guys. I have managed to make it through the LZ once with one survivor... I'm sure that won't be enough for the base assault.

I am stumped at this point thnking that I need to just let this mission alone for a while while my R & D picks up some better gear... I sure wish we could call in air support on this jokers!

Oh, I am playing on medium...

Did I mention that this game ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! I am an old Xcom fanatic and let me tell you... "U.F.O. Aftermath" is just the bomb!!!

I'm playing on hard. Its April 8th 2005.

Squad of 7 all with Sun or Sky armour and 2 guys with Psi projectors.

I get smoked everytime!! I only need move for about 2 seconds before i have about 2 (sometimes 3) missiles fying at me.

If its not missiles some other weapon is taking huge chunks of my guys health.

Am i trying this mission too early? Or more probably do i need better tactics?

By the way - does stealth actually work?

Also - i tried the smoke grenade tactics with just 2 guys but they just close and and finish me off.

Thanks

Doc

If you have psi projectors and sky armour, the Russian base mission can be done. The main problem is that in the first ten seconds you are under attack on both flanks, and Reticulans are about to start pouring out of the base.

I've just this minute beaten the Russian base mission on hard. I took along my five best soldiers with sky armour and two mediocre soldiers with heavy armour whom I was prepared to sacrifice.

I have found that there are 5-6 Reticulans on one side of the road and only one on the other side of the road. I saved and reloaded until I knew which side of the road was better defended. Then my five good soldiers charged the weakly defended side of the road, killed the lone Reticulan and took up a defensive line on the edge of the map. Meanwhile the two mediocre soldiers drew the fire of the Reticulans for those vital seconds, before they were both killed.

The five remaining soldiers were then rushed by a group of Reticulans. A combination of psi-projectors, sniper rifles and a hybrid rocket launcher soon took care of them. I then blew a hole in the wall, and knocked off the Reticulans as they emerged one at a time.

Stealth DOES work, but only if you walk or stand still. However, most of the Reticulans have Excellent or Heroic observational ability. Also, when an enemy spots your men, the other enemies know where to look.

• 4 weeks later...

I just completed this after about 20 reloads.

I think I may have tried this a little too early, it still cost me a casualty and I used 7 medkits completely by the time it was done.

I noticed that if you save before landing it changes the where the aliens spawn at so I did that a few times until I wasn't being ambused by 4 or 5 aliens with RL's right at the get go. After reading this thread and experimenting myself I equipped my squad as follows.

3 - Assualt rifles (Steyr and the HK that fires Hard Rounds)

1- Alien Plasma Gun - uses throwing my soldier with heroic made good use of this

1- Grenade launcher - didn't seem to do much damage but good for clearing terrain

2- Snipers (used the rifle that does 160pts of universal damage)-wore heavy armor

My armor sucked I had 1 suit of Sun Armor, 2 suits of Basic Alien armor, 2 suits of heavy armor, and a couple of Combat Armors.

I tried to use stealth tatics I made sure my squad was set to walk. I set them in a skirmish formation as best I could. I got a little lucky and a couple of Rets were grouped up and I was able to make hash of them with the plasma gun and grenade launcher. One of my faster squaddies spent a lot of time dodging rockets (he gave up walking at that point :blink: One of my snipers was cut down by an Alien with a plasma gun and a few laser shots. At this point the smoke kind of cleared, all of the Aliens on the outside of the wall were dead. I was able to Medkit everybody, reload weapons, and save the game.

My first attempt from this point I arranged my squad in kill position and blew a hole in the wall with a grenade. On the other side off the wall were 5 Rets. They opened up on me with a bunch of rockets and my team died horribly.

My second attempt I arranged my squad in kill position around the gate and then I waited. I was hoping an alien or two would walk through the gate into my kill zone but instead I waited. I set the speed to extra fast and waited about 10 minutes with no one coming through. I then blew through the wall again and the aliens had obviously dispersed, I was able to pick them off one by one. Despite this 2 of my squaddies were too injured and I was out of med-kit so they were left behind.

I took my squad of four in and it was anti-climatic. I took the back way around as suggested in this thread. I killed 3 Rets in transit without much difficulty.

Good Luck... hope this helps some.

You'll have to forgive my crudeness, but i had to go with 3 'neo' shotguns, 2 snipers and 2 plasma rifles (all i had manufactured so far in the game). start of theatre, i went parallel to the border, away from the road, once the first reticulan fired rockets, y split the teams, shotgunners running against the rockets and the snipers/riflemans to the corner of the wall and the end of theatre, taking down as many reticulans from the highway as possible. The shotgunners kept running towards the rockets till reaching at least 40% efficiency then salvoed them to oblivion, while taking care that the rockets launched towards the snipers/riflemans missed them (not hard, since they are shot from the road, you can see them comming and act accordingly, always runnign towards the rockets and slighty sideways. once the snipers took down the reticulans with pinpoint guns (lasers, slugs, whatever that hits upon firing) the shotgunners crossed the road and finished off the 3 rocket reticulans (all while the riflemans cured the snipers and themselves) and the snipers kept firing at those same reticulans.

after this side of the wall was cleared, i positioned the snipers on the road, as far from the gates as possible, covering both ways in, the riflemans diagonally at midroad and the shotgunners glued to the wall, 1 square away from the gates. I mopped 3 or so reticulans who dared to get out with the ye'olde "shotgun in your temple" technique while the snipers kept firing. I peeked in with a 'heroic speedey' shotgunner to find reticulans next to the wall, so from the other side i played basketball with some grenades. EOF :blink:

I had everyone armed with superstrikes. A decent weapon w/ good range and with 7 SS's on Automatic..... Vapor. The key is never use SS's on common missions. They are too precious to waste. Keep in Mind the Rets use either incend or worse mass salvos of EMP ammo which has a very wide area of effect. Use Bio Armor only. Do not breach the wall until you eliminate all rets outside then 7 SS's force fire (do not Pick targets as your men will cease fire after each Kill.) several salvos at the base of the wall near the gate...Wall comes down...grenades keep falling half of the rets charge half launch missiles they last about 2 seconds. Bad part ...By the time you get into the base you are low on grenades and have to cross level ammo to a couple of grenadiers and loot (no good assault is good without gratuitous looting of the dead) weapons from the Rets. I did loose 60ish % of the squad but got Vladimir Putins PC just the same. :blink:

i had 3 snipers, 1 granade launcher 1 medic ( full with medikits ) and one with a bazooka and one granade thrower. All the time i kept my soldiers away from each other, so when a rocket was launched only 1 or 2 man had to move. While firing all my man concentrated only on one reticulan to kill him as fast as possible. Rocket spitters are a priority! During the exchange of fire the medic was running and doing some realtime healing. About 7 reticulans where infront of the gate and another 7 behind the wall. After killing the first 7 dudes i healed everyone and made my man stand in a safe but deadly position infornt of the wall where i intended to strike. It is important to regroup your man in a way so that at all time everyone of them is capable to attack every reticulan. Beeing more clear at all time the whole squad should be able to attack the same reticulan - this allows you to maximise your fire power in time.When you're good to go it's time to throw a granade ( one only ) but not too close to the wall. Try to make the hole as small as possible. Afterward the factory producing dead reticulans is on. After the first stage i lost 2 -3 medikits :blink:

Faze two.

Same rules the squad stands in a room prepared to kill everything everywhere as fast as possible and one scout ( fast as hell ) is walkind into next rooms looking for pray. If he sees one he fires upon and withdraws to the group. Stupid gray man follow him and surprise surprise...

It is important to expect the worse at every step and try to best prevent it. This approach makes the mission take a long long time but your losses are minimal.

it is frustrating becuase you possision your men carefully in every room send the scout and repeat this continously. 4/5 of the mission time you will be just wasting time but you'll be safe as hell.

Hope it helps

ta ta.

Just tried this mission again w 1.3 patch. This time since the collapsible weapons now work... Three heavies with railguns and one scout per heavy with one medic/fast runner (I brought lots of smoke grenades with the medic for later) to lick the wounds. SSSSSSSSSlurp. Scouts of course carry my favorite the Superstrike, although the Blooper gun (M79) would do in a pinch. The railguns plant themselves and instantly cut down any rets that the scouts sniff out. Although you dont need to go far to find them. Once in, the railguns secured the halls in a chain while the scouts advanced with the former medic who is now a super heroic runner. Once the first Ret charge is wiped out by three SS's on auto, the runner pops smoke and dashes across each intersection leaving the rets to keep banging their bald little heads against the three scouts or are unfortunate enough to cross into the sights of the Rail crews. I suffered no casualties.

This is a tough mission. I killed the base guards with six snipers and one grenader. All had lots of med kits, which they dropped to increase thier speed. I spread out the squad at the start point and waited for the enemy to appear. I picked them off one by one. After healing a couple of people, when the road area was quiet, I moved the squad towards the wall and had the nader blow the wall. Then the snipers took out the alliens and I went into the base. I creeped down the narrow hallways to the closest door to the package. Killed three aliens, grabbed the package and ran out.

Snipers with excellent marksmanship, speed, and aliens skills are a devastating force.

• 1 month later...
I managed that mission first time without any problems, I did have the advantage that all my squad had very high rifle skills by then, I just immediatly spread out as the rockets were fired, took minor damage, then as soon as the rocket exploded I just concentrated all fire on a rocket firing alien, due to rifle skills they could all fire from extreme distances with alien lasers and very rarely miss, each alien I fired at lasted approximately 0.2 seconds I think :blink: