The Russian Base (later story), how to do it?

zowrath

I also didn't find this mission too hard. I went in with sun armour, 2 x sniper rifles, 2 x adv Laser rifles, 2 x steyrs and a MP7 :inlove: From setup quickly dispersed troops and very quickly was attacked from 3 sides by 3 greys. Two of whom had RL. Targetting them and playing dodge the rocket with most of my troops whilst the MP7 guy advanced on the greys. Once the initial fight was over - with only 1 KIA - and one unconscious, my forces advanced on the gate and blew the enemy away. I had no problems spotting them before they fired so often they only got one shot off before being vapourised :withstupid:

Once I cleared the forest the base was only defended by two aliens so no sweat there. One weird thing though was a grey previously KO'd got up and started shooting my guys with a plasm agun at point blank range. They had to blow him to bits to stop his firing on them. Not seen that before.

Inside the base I switched everyone over to MP7 :inlove: My standard weapon for close spaces and split the group into two. Taking seperate routes to the data and exiting was no sweat.

I've given up on shotguns as their range isn't very good whereas the MP7 :inlove: has both the range and the power for base combat.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to have had 2 different versions of this mission.

In my first game there were about 7 or 8 aliens already outside which started attacking me straight away with rockets, raligun things, the works. I tried it so many times I decided to have another attempt at the whole game (thinking I had been too slow to develop technologies to help me survive and with the biomass already knocking at the door to several bases!)

Second time through the game, this mission was a lot easier. Only a couple of aliens outside the complex walls, easily dealt with using a run & shoot strategy. Then I crept a couple of guys with plasma shotguns and CAWS up to the wall either side of the entrance and flushed the little ****s out by shelling the other side of the wall with a grenade launcher. They saw the more distant men first and got minced by my shotgunners while shooting at the distant guys who had plenty of time to get out the way of the missiles :withstupid:

Inside was just a case of lobbing a grenade around every corner to avoid any nasty surprises.

I finish this down to pure luck more than anything else, as I don't seem to have half the stuff everyone else is using.

Of my seven troops I only have enough armour to give one person Alien Sun Armour, two people got Heavy combat Armour, one got Enhanced light Armour while the rest got bog standard light armour.

Weapons were pretty much standard fair, basic alien laser rifles, sniper rifles two standard rocket launchers and two people with grenades.

I got lucky with perimeter of the base as only 3 Reticulans ambushed me, which I cleared up quickly, then found that all the others were grouped together on the other side of the base walls. So I just lobbed grenades over taking most of them out.

Once I was in the base I just took my quickest runner and sent him down to pick up the records and run back to the exit. Took a couple of reloads to find a path down to the records that didn't have reticulans in the way. I also gave him one heavy weapons soldier and one SMG soldier for support.

The difficulty has switched in the same way as someone flicking on a light switch. Case in point, I had two alien base in territories next to each other. I take the first one with relative ease, as it followed the pattern of all the others (i.e 3 guards on the surface who you can take out with sniper rifles). Send the team to attack the second one, but before they reach it I get a message telling me the Russian mission is available. I reach the base where I am instantly assaulted by 5 Reticulans wielding advanced weapons and armour that I simply cannot penatrate, they wipe me out in 10 seconds at most.

Lucky for me I was able to reload to just before sending my men out, and chose not to do the mission. Even luckier the base gets captured anyway by my allied soldiers.

If you can't kill all the aliens through fear of a wipe-out of your team (not a Bob Monkhouse, BBC2 daytime TV Wipeout, as that's a scarier event altogether) then I suggest the tactic of running into teh room via one door and out via another.

Chances are that at least two aliens are right behind you, so doubling back once you've picked up the equipment is a very terminally bad idea :withstupid:

I didn't have any problem with this mission, infact it was one of the easiest I have played. I only have to load once, because a rocket rect saw one of my guys and not everyone could target him.

I'm sure most of you will think I'm a fool, but I did the entire mission with 5 snipers. They all had Accuracy International rifles, and I didn't have to even reload (45 rounds per clip is nice :withstupid: ) First off I want to say if you didn't focus on marksmanship this tactic IS foolish, and that you will be splattered by rocket fire.

As I started the mission I just had them kneel and open fire. I dropped the 5 rects outside the wall without them even getting a shot off. Then I had my squad just sit in front of the gate and the rects slowly came out (1 or 2 at a time). They were dropped the instant they showed up (even at max range my snipers have 80% to hit, and to the gate it was 90-95%). The only time I was even injured was when one of the rects beat my draw and got one of my guys with a laser pistol before he fell dead.

Inside it was more risky to use snipers, but it ended up fine. I moved as group, and whenever I would spot and alien I would select all and target. Then all I had to do was listen to the 5 "alien down" messages and continue on.

I do think the Rects are weak to HARD ammo, atleast in sun and sky suits. I have never seen one of them live thru 5 rifle rounds no matter what they are wearing. Although I have not seen one in BIO armor yet, so things may change.

I would suggest that if you are going to send a runner to grab the case that his inventory is mostly empty it is 20-25 kg. Even with just a rifle and the case my man's speed was slowed (even with very excellent capacity)

I'm sure this won't work for everyone but I hope it helps! Now go out there and Gut Those Greys!

I spent 2 whole days trying this mission (thats two days sick off work :withstupid:)

I tried with up close weapons

I tried snipers

I tried big muva colapsables

and I tried cominations

I saved every couple of seconds

I tried rushing, it would work on the rocket guys until two were in sight of my men and would kill their team mate

I tried distraction and legging it away from incomming rockets

And guess what I finaly completed it in about 15 seconds game time with supa malcom.

I was pretty fed up so I thought one last try, just malcom with a couple of grenades and that blue alien armour (my malcom was level 17 with super heroic speed)

I just ran around the outside of the map to the base entrance (blowing a new whole in the wall with a nade). And inside I ran around the base in a big clockwise circle picked up the files and ran back to the entrance.

I saved the game every time malcom was faced with a choice in direction and re-loaded any time i ran into a reticulant.

It would have kicked a$$ to see that mission in real time. Malcom gets droped out of a chopper, legs it to the wall lobbing a grenade as he goes. Runs straight into the base. He charges at full pelt around the outside of the base and runs a wierd zig zag pattern all the way back (It helps if you imagine him screaming the whole way).

BTW not a single alien saw him and I am playing on hard.

[it would have kicked a$$ to see that mission in real time. Malcom gets droped out of a chopper, legs it to the wall lobbing a grenade as he goes. Runs straight into the base. He charges at full pelt around the outside of the base and runs a wierd zig zag pattern all the way back (It helps if you imagine him screaming the whole way).]

That was funny. :withstupid:

I had a fairly standard setup, 3 men in heavy armor because i really didn't want them to die, a sun armor, and 1 or 2 others in standard combat armor between levels 6-10. Frankly I hate the heavy armor, but it's the only way I can consistently keep people alive so I can have guys at levels significantly higher than the base levels. Poor tactics on my part I'm sure, but I've always been a fan of speed over survival:P This was my 4th attempt on the mission, having gotten blown up in a variety of ways on my earlier tries.

I had a sniper, 3 men with rifles, a rocket launcher, a mp7, and a shotgunner(not recommended).

The first thing I did was scatter my men out to a reasonable radius, while running my mp7 and shotgunner at the rocketmen in the corner(sun/combat armors). My riflemen in the meantime took out the alien rocketeers, while my own rocketlauncher took care of the pesky guys in the other direction. After the intial skirmish, I healed up and took up position near the wall about midway between the edge of the map and the entrance to the base. In my previous game, I stupidly waltzed through the entrance with my entire team and lost half before I bailed out of the mission. I proceeded to lob grenades over the wall until I killed 5 or 6 aliens. This took me about 20 grenades. Use your best thrower, because you really don't want to knock down the wall until you're ready. Then I broke down the wall and rifled the survivors. Since you get feedback on damage dealt and you can magically see alien blood, once you get a hit you can finish off any alien fairly easily.

After entering the base, I set up a kill zone and baited any aliens with scouts. I got fairly lucky, not losing anybody to the plasma throwers(a rarity for me when raiding a base early on), and after making my way about half through, i took my runner, dropped everything, and made a dash for the item. Recovery and extraction went smoothly, and everything was happy again until a good number of missions later when advanced alien plasma launchers made their appearance.

Oh yea, playing on hard because of the mofo "default". I'm considering changing to a normal or easy game though...during a base defense just now a grey walked into my ambush area with 6 men targeting him, 3 of them with close range hard weapons ...and then he proceeded to mow them all down one by one and only 2 men survived, a fluke, to be sure, but come on now, that's ridiculous even for a fluke.

Did the Russian base again, this time on HARD using V1.2.

Wanting to hurry as usual, only had in stock 3x Enhanced Combat Armors, 1x Enhanced Combat Helmet, 1x Sun Armor, 2x Heavy Armors, 6x Enhanced Light Armors. Despite having 20x bases: no Gatlings ;), none of the decent Accuracy International Rifles, however plenty of Handguns, some Steyrs, etc.

5x of my troops had Excellent running speed and 2x had Heroic running speed :D.

I had to restart from scratch 3x times until I could get a squad layout that worked ???. Tried the all sniper approach. No good with the crap rifles I had. Got creamed every time. Tried with a couple of Steyrs, no good. They could target me too easily. Tried rockets: too slow, weak and short ranged ;).

Thought about doing it in stealth ;) with just one of the Heroic running speed troops, but that didn't have enough alien splattering to my taste :withstupid:.

Then I thought I should take advantage of the speed of my troops. This was the layout: I had 3x Enhanced Combat Armor folks, 1x Sun Armor, 3x Enhanced Light Armors. 6x had MP7s, 1x had a Rocket Launcher, lots & lots of Medikits and Grenades.

Started the mission. First move was running like hell to get some cover behind the closest hut near the entrance, so I could exploit my near range power. Then one of my Heroic runners lured the Aliens nearby to where my troops were hiding. Creamed 4x Reticulans like that. My Heroic runner alone killed 2x more standalone Rocket Reticulans. I ran around and around them until they fired, then got real close and killed them before they could reload :devil:.

My rocket guy got pinned by 2x aliens, because I made a stupid mistake, and managed to kill 2x Reticulans all by himself after wasting all his rockets ;).

Heal up, rinse and repeat. A couple of sneaky aliens got hidden in the shelter near the entrance to the 2nd level, a couple of hand grenades taught them better :bomber:.

In the base: it was a matter of running counter-clockwise and killing any Reticulan which showed his ugly face. Only had to kill 3x. Used some more Medikits.

Mission acomplished! Got 5x guys in the hospital for several days, but that's life. :)

There are definatly 2 varients of this mission -

Varient 1 - The Mission Impossible varient

Start with about 8 Aliens 3 (maybe 4) packing rocket launchers within shooting range of your spawn point. If ever there was a perfect example of a badly designed level this is it.

Varient 2 - Mission Doable

Start a bit nearer the road no aliens at spawn point. 2 (maybe 3) Aliens other side of the road and a coupel near the gate. Ret of the 15 or so are behind the gate / wall.

First game played it and got varient 1, and gave up as its just increadibly stupid level, only way to play it is to chicken out as there is no way to win against those odds without using some fault in the engine.

Second game luckily got varient 2 had played it up to this point with this mission in mind i.e. starting in Europe, and getting as much Sun Armour as can make. All troopers had a suit by time it came up, and was almost a let down when i got the doable version. Played it with 2 snipers at edge of map on the corners of the road rest spread out along the left side of the road with my Grenadier nearist the gate(large distances between them for avoiding rockets). All people crouched bar one guy in middle of the line who acted as rocket decoy who ran at first sign of a rocket, although the alien that fired the rocket etc dies immediatly once the others open fire.

Bit silly really they really do need to patch the map and remove the 1st varient from the game.

Not sure, but I think the first impossible varient maybe happens if you take a long time to get to the mission. I only got it on my first game when I was learning how to play and was slow to expand, research and do missions. Haven't had it again since knowing what to do, so I'm guessing it's to stop you from sitting and consolidating for a while to get the stats up on your soldiers in other missions.

Agree though, still stupid whatever the reason for it.

It took me all Saturday night but i did it after many tries with 3 guys in combat armour and 4 guys in heavy armour.

for outside 2 Steyer Augs, 1 SLAW and 4 rotary grenade launchers.

Killed the guys waiting outside the wall then waited for a couple to come through the gate, each one i had all 4 rotary launchers give him 4 rounds each.

Then after a couple on minutes of none peeking out i took the wall down with grenade launchers right to left and giving each alien revealed 4 rounds from each of the launchers.

Inside i switched to 3 CAWS and 4 MP7 and had no trouble getting the files.

It doesn't have anything to do with time like that. It is random. I have got it both ways. Remember all those restarts I made :withstupid:? Some were of variant 1, others of variant 2.

I won this time at variant 2. However when I played on Easy using V1.1, I got variant 1 and won regardless. Why? Because the MP7 had increased range.

I think it is probably possible to win variant 1 if you have strong enough armor, lots of medikits and G11s. Steyr is too weak.

I easily beat the Russian 'Stalingrad' mission on the first try by blowing a hole into the wall (about 10m to the left from where the gate is) with my grenadier babe.

The two snipers didn't do much damage, but the grenadier lady alone got four of the grays. The Area effect weapons seem to work best against them.

An important fact is that you really need to keep you guys A) spread out at least three metres apart, and B) moving away from enemy rocket launcher fire.

I only lost my point man in the whole battle (though it was a close call).

Later inside the base, make damn sure you don't make the same mistake like I did and decided 'to try the new warp pistols' ... CAWS shotguns and PDW submachineguns work much better.

On you way out, make damn sure you're going the same way, and also remember to have at least 1 guy with an area effect weapon (M79 grenade launcher is sweet) and 1 guy with a rifle (Aug or G36).

I'm doing this mission now, and I failed the 2 first tried, gonna try more later. what baffles me though is that I've not even seen the biomass, i think. I don't see anything unusual. I got a warning message long before the mission came up, but.. no biomass. Any of you had like that?

When i first tryed this mission, this was the first time i ever saw those Alien rocket lanchers. I gave up... i was hopelessly out match... 7 guys with sun armor i was just using lasers and plasma. I endding abourting this mission, and hoping i good pick up some sky armor, to analize it weakness. I ended up taking on a battleship that had laned, and clearing the entire thing out. In close quarters i have control. I analzyed the armor, discovered it was weak against bullets. I outfitted 2 of my men with it, and then out fitted 3 guys with heavy armor, each carrying very heavy weapons, like the gattling gun, mobile rocket lancher, and warp dissapator. After that i had No problems with this mission, and never even pickup the computer. I just wiped all the aliens out.

(sry for my eng)

This is my story:

I played UFO 2 times 1st time i started in europe and when i had mision in stallingrad i i got a lots of good stuff:

2- guys with snipers (160 dmg)

4- guys with lasers rifles

1 - with rocket luncher

All of them had sun armour

I split my soldiers for 3 groups (1 snaip, 2 laser rifles), (1 naip, 2 laser rifles) (1 RL). The 1 with RL was full in right and he was shooting to the dors, 1st group was on street and trying to hit some of grays and running when rocket was on them second group was doing the same thing. Thats i shoot all of them.

When i get down the base i change guns from snipers to shotguns (this one with 900 dmg) and i split for 2 groups. first group was killing everything what they spotted and the second group went for PC.

Now im playing 1 more time and i started in USA and i conquerd all america fast and europe. I had a lots of research bases and in 13 february i had to go to stalingrad. My equipment was very weak, i havent got any shy r sun armory, my best armour was heavy.

2 soldiers with plasma rifle (500 dmg) (heavy armour)

1 soldier with snaiper (200 dmg) (light armour)

2 soldiers with laser rifle/shotgun (900) (heavy armour)

1 soldier with railgun (heavy armour)

Most of my soliers was on 12 lvl and one of them on 9

And i try to do some tactic but i cant run away from rockets but i figure it out that heavy armour is good against rocket and i just stayed in front of base and i was waiting for grays :> i shoot them all and went down. When i was in down of base it was very very easy becouse in short range plasma rifles killed all :>

uh that sound very easy!! even if my 3 mens have heavy armors, if they go near the gate, they die by 2 or more rockets! I'd even split my team in 3 groups. I still tried near everything :S but still no luck, this mission is DAMN TOO HARD!!!!! maybe it's because my players level about 10 is too low but I can never get more then 4 soldiers alive till the gate of base.

I tried sneak strategy too, go to very west with team then break a wall, it seems be luck but after go across the wallline KABOOOM 2 rockets!!

it's 5th day long I'm stuck with this mission :blink:

How I did it: 7 snipers. at mission start select each squaddie and give them a destination, in an arc. One end of the arc is at the road. One end is at the wall, left of the gate. Squaddies are positioned about the radius of a missile explosion apart. No crouching - you can't evade a missile fast enough if you have to get to your feet first. Try not to put anyone in a low place, or in direct line of sight of the yard beyond the gate.

Rude strangers show up during deployment. Expect that. Concentrate fire on one at a time. 7 snipers will take down an armoured reticulan before anyone needs to fire a second shot (usually). Loud rifle noises bring the little fellows out, through the gate in ones and twos. Not much of a threat after you're deployed.

When you think you've got them all, set the clock running and grab coffee. Another one or two might show. Then, redeploy on the road in three teams. Three snipers on the road. Two on each side, flanking. Move each team forward a few steps (run, don't walk - the noise attracts the bad guys, and you want that). If you get about halfway to the gate with no more aliens, send your fastest squaddie to the gate. If they see an alien, run away, out of sight. Use the runner to draw the enemy into your sniper ambush. Shouldn't be a big problem getting to the base entrance now.

Inside the base: Everyone stays put. Creep your fastest/stealthiest character to the objective, grab it and sneak back. There are some patrols but they are minor. A character with heroic speed can carry the briefcase and move faster than an alien (reticulans don't seem to be able to run. Speed is something that you have and they don't, and it doesn't take long to lose one in the corridors - though at the risk of attracting others). I certainly managed to sneak in and back out without actually ever seeing more than one alien, and he was looking the other way.

I hadn't really expected such though opposition so I'd packed a 2 alien lasers, 1 shotgun, 1 sniper, 1 nade thrower and 2 submachine guns. Even worse, my I was going to use this mission to let some inexperienced soldiers get used to combat :blink:

Outside the base I'd set my weapons to aimed mode so I could keep my distance from those rocket aliens. Pausing the game every time a missile was launched so I could order my troops to run. I spread my troops all over the outer wall so I could not be attacked from the sides.

Inside the base I used one of my more experienced and stealthy units to sneak up on aliens from behind with his shotgun and 'nades. My two submachine gun troops followed him to give backup where needed and sometimes to spot aliens. The remaining four units just stayed put a few metres from the starting position. Unfortunately that group got jumped by two heavily armed aliens and only two remained conscious. I forgot to pack a med kit :hmmm: so they had to protect the 2 unconscious soldiers.

After I'd cleaned out the base a bit with my strike team they where pretty banged up and I returned them to the other 4. I then used the 2 remaining soldiers to run to the archives, ignoring the few aliens that remained. After picking up the archives I evaded the aliens completely by taking the longest route along the side of the base through the narrow corridors, taking quite a risk but it paid off.

Half my team had to recover in sickbay but it wasn't bad for a first try ;)

:hmmm: The best is to wait untill your staff will be equipt with Alien Psi Projector and then go and do them. You need to be in any alien armor, do not use heavy. You need to be able to run in keys that they will use launcher. Take them let them to put all amunition down and leave on shot for the other alien. They are not able to take amunition (clips) from the ground and as stupid aliens browsing around. kill after you will take the last one.