Holy MOLY that Soviet Base is tough!!!

Edge

This post containes spoilers... don't read it if you don't want to find out something that is well into the game.

For those of you that have gotten there, how in the HECK do you get past the aliens with those rocket launchers?!?!?!

That mission was UNUSUALLY tough, and SHOCKED me!!! I had a team of seven that WALKED through other missions as if U.S. Marines were walking through a caveman settlement, and then WHAM! Within 5 seconds, all 7 were dead, and I was sitting there scratching my head, wondering where we went wrong. I know... spread out... slower advance... draw them out into the intersecting fields of fire that we have set up laying in wait for them... yadda yadda yadda... but GOOD LORD! To go from not even getting a scratch to getting smoked in less time than it takes to chew a bite from a burrito is a SHOCKING jump!

GREAT JOB, ALTAR!!!

(It's too bad I didn't save in a few missions... I had to go back quite a ways in time to bring my team back... and do it right the next time!)

It is a little on the tough side...

Mind you, the Area 51 mission can be if your not careful. I found with the soviet mission, like Area 51, the secret is to take your time and concentrate your fire on one bad guy at a time so you drop them fast! Once you beaten the first few, set up shop on the little road facing the main gate and murder the aliens as they try to reach you :rolleyes:

Bear in mind that the rocket launcher guys usually wear Sky Armour (Blue) and it is very resistant to laser and plasma...sniper rifles make mince meat of them though. A good mix of weapons is the key, and if in doubt use a rocket yourself (an RPG wll kill nice and quick as will a OSAW or SLAW).

Inside is nasty as well, but if you concentrate fire you'll drop them before they fire a shot. It strange this mission. On the Area 51 mission I was able to sneak through the base and get the PC without seeing a single alien, but this one...seem they all knew where I was...but then it like, 'Walk into my killing zone little aliens...' :blink: