Bugs in my system

LTNS

I've been trying to install some x-com games on my old compaq lately and it is very annoing. It's on of the old compaqs and only has 100 speed and not a lot of memory. But it still has enough left to succesfully run both at the same time. No matter how many times i try, it never lets me either of 2 things:A.Install a X-COM game. or B.Play an X-COM game. I tried this on my more advanced computer and only got TFTD to work. I miss the simplicity of UFO DEFENCE! What should I do?

1. get the collectors edition (if you can find it)

2. run them on the advanced pc

3. use the fodder patch, etc.

4. browse through the FAQ and Support forum to see if any of the advice in there helps

5. depending on OS you might want to try VDMSound (i think thats what it's called)

6. ditto, depending on OS ou might want to try emulation (ie get something like vmware, or virtual PC and make it pretend to be an old computer).

You know, if a 486dx2-(50mhz) with 4 megs of ram was enough to play UFO and TFTD (which is already slightly above UFO's original specifications), then your computer shouldn't have any trouble.

First of all, I think a bit more information would be helpeful.

What version of the games are you trying to install? The original dos edition or CE? If it's the CE, then you really want to use your newer PC for it. If it's the dos version is it on floppy disk, cd-rom, magnetic tape, vinyl or what?

What error messages, if any, do you get when trying to install or run the game? What exactly is happening?

If running the game is a problem, then have you tried setting the sound card to no-sound and see if the game runs any better? Quite a lot of old games get very fussy about their sound card settings. And I mean very fussy. Some extreme cases even cause your system to prematurely reboot or hang indefinitely.

If you can network your Compaq with your other computer, one method of installing the game would be to first install the game on the other PC, then link the computers together. Map a network drive via the network neighbourhood folder and then either play the game through the network, or copy the entire directory over to the Compaq. This should get around the installation problems. It's a dos program, so it won't mess around with the Windows registry. Getting it to run, of course, is another matter entirely.

- NKF

evil computer wont let poor ltns to install nasty x-com cd on it. always tells me that i have to install it with a different command, prescious... tried it on advanced computer... still didnt work. poor smeagol managed TFTD on it but the action speen in missions and the geoglobe was veryn evil indeed... (sorry if you think i'm trying to ressurect an old thred. i have no clue what you people consider to be an old post.)