Mind Control

ein001

There better not be freakin mind control, at least not mind control from every freakin alien who felt like doing it. Have bosses or something that can, like 1max in a mission. Nothing like gettin to an alien base just to lose half ur men to your own men. <3 ufo defence HATE MIND CONTROL : )

Hmm, there will be mind control, but I believe it will be done in the same way as in UFO:Enemy Unknown. The greys have mind control, and only the higher ranking ones. Don't know for sure though. Agree that it was very frustrating to loose men to your own men though...and great fun controlling the aliens! :rolleyes:

And welcome to the boards by the way! There's a Introductions thread in the off topic forum if you wish to share some details with the community.

• 3 weeks later...

In the original (Ufo: Enemy Unknown), greys and also Ethereals could use mind control. In fact the ethereals used mind control to control their submissive "mutant" race which were pretty mental and double hard barstards :P I remember dropping a blaster bomb on one of the mutants and he survived, went berserk and fired random shots and grenades everywhere taking out half my players :rolleyes:

Im a little shocked that we cant enter buildings, but I'm not surprised that there are limitations as obviously there has been major time/budget problems. Im just glad they have finished a game so we can look forward to a sequel if people buy it (and I'm sure they will) :)

And yeah, mind control was really annoying in the original as alien bases tended to mean losing most of your team if you were lucky ;) and all your team if you were unlucky :hmmm: , still there was upshots of mind control, doing mind control on a player you had lost to mind control was always funny as you could walk them up to the aliens and shoot them in the back of the head :blink:

doing mind control on a player you had lost to mind control was always funny as you could walk them up to the aliens and shoot them in the back of the head

LOL :rolleyes:

As for alien bases, I used that guided missile, and blew up their controll room. That tended to end the mind-controll :blink:

As for alien bases, I used that guided missile, and blew up their controll room. That tended to end the mind-controll :rolleyes:

I selected one crew for fighting and another for psionic resistance, then sent out the best soldiers for the situation. But it was a crap shoot at the first part of the game. I hated it when I had a high capability shooter freak out, finding out he/she had a "Strong back, weak mind". Well, "reload" usually helped unless I was playing an honest "hardcore"! I got real attached to some of those soldiers.

:blink:

SerAris

Using lasers and power armor seems to solve the problem.

Who cares if one guy get mind control and decided to fire 20 round into a power armour guy will no effect. Let them control all they want, while the rest of the guys close in for the kill.

BUUUUTTT, i still lose some guys when they went nuts and run from cover and got shot by aliens after being release from mind control. ???

I hate silver ball more then PSI.

• 2 weeks later...

:o I'm surprised to find that people hate mind control this much.

I've mainly concentrated on playing X-COM:Apocalypse and I have not played UFO:Enemy Unknown for much more than 2 days or so.

In Apoc. (Reinstalled last weekend) I've played for 4 weeks of in-game time (Around 4 days real life). And I have yet to lose a single man (or lady).

Of course this is only on easy because it's soon 5 years since I played it before. Best game ever: 57 soldiers alive at end 0 Casulties.

In the old UFO days, i remeber how i used to stock up on blaster bombs, load up some noob soldiers and a few good soldiers. then deploy the noobs at random into the map, the veterans keeping the landingcraft free of alines. When a alien was spotted, i just sent out a blaster bomb from within the landing craft, all the way throu the map, and then killing the alien. sometimes i'd mindcontroll the alien before i blew him up, just to scout out the area and maby locate another alien :rolleyes:

Massive fun.

---------

a random pie quote from weeble.

Yea when u actully getto research the damn bombs. but we all know how the very 1st base attack went, no psi training very little good stuff an sod all armour in my case. I had 2 guys who got out alive then researched some more an went back at end of month, although i did lose that country it was near :rolleyes:

Mind control was a real killer in first 3 parts of UFO, managed to finish all three of them not loosing a single soldier. (Well it also took a great deal of save/load), but mind control was one of my favourite features of these games.

:blink:

But in UFO:AM I still can't get it. My soldiers have the skill, but I still can't usi it. That really annoys me. :rolleyes:

Be glad you can't get it yet. You get the tech from the aliens, which means they use it on you first. Unlike the original UFO/TFTD, psionic ability doesn't=psionic defense. Most of my troops have either excellent or heroic psi strength, but still get taken over with one shot (yes, it's a proper gun (that uses ammo) now). Believe me, an alien controlled guy with super heroic marksmanship and a gatling cannon is NOT NOT NOT funny! I had my own man kill two of my squad before I took out the reticulan that was controlling him.

In UFO:AM I HATE mind control :rolleyes: