Modding the game...

Ego Terrorist

I personally don't think it's too likely for modding to be released. At least not for a long time anyway.

The reason modding was released on the original XCom games of this type was that they were too old and lacked variation after a certain point. XComutil wasn't even an official program but almost everyone who owns one of the games has a copy.

I would think that if this game is really as good as it looks like it will be then there will be no need for modding for a long time...

I dunno though Veteran... don;t you think it would be cool to be able to change the graphics slightly here and there, change the research tree, change the story a little and call it "UFO: Enemy Unknown - Part 2" :laugh:

I'm sure there's people out there who would kill for that kind of modding ability :P

Remember, it's only single player (at this moment), so when you finish the game for the first time, some people would think," I do not want to start it over, but

let's download some missions"

In this case, we can play a lot more UFO than with the raw game!

For a good example, look for Neverwinter nights. They are selling the game with the SDK, because they have "forseen" the need and the popularity of the

"house made" missions.

I tell you, the net will be full of NVN missions.

Another good example is SWAT3, it has shed loads of mods, ranging from different ingame missions to totally new missions, new weapons to new skins, In my opinion any game worth it''s two pence needs an ability to mod the game, I'm talking from total conversions to a new gun or mission! The only downside is downloading mods!!

Like I said in the other forums, we're trying to keep an ear open to the community in terms for modification at this point. If it comes to pass, it likely won't really be anything like the tools for NWN, but would more likely be a few homebrew tools and a some exporters, and a lot of documentation (hopefully). I, for one, am all for modding of the game, and I hope that it happens. However, I'm not on that team, so I don't really have much say about what happens in that regard. We really want to support the community, so the more we hear about this, the more likely it is to actually happen.

Evan

What would be nice (besides Enemy Unknown part 2! ) is some smaller sub campaigns. Maybe they could play into the main storyline maybe not. They'd most likely be home made things if mods came out but it would be nice to be able to take out say a huge alien colony on earth as just one massive campaign. It wouldn't be part of the game but it could be a part of the game... If you follow.

Firstly, I suggest moving this post to the Tech Talk forum :P It is, after all, mostly about the technical capabilities of the game.

Next I'd like to move on to modding capabilities, more in line with the topic of the thread.

One word springs to mind when modding is mentioned (at least over such a game)

Scripting.

Scripting support has existed in a variety of games in various forms (whether it be QuakeC, UScript, Skrit or other) and is a very powerful tool for modders.

Usually it exists in some sort of pseudo-code language or an actual code language such as C++.

All I can say is that I hope we have a scripting language with which to mod :P

Using such a language we should be able to handle almost anything our imaginations can design :laugh:

An SDK is all well and good, but usually they are more limited that scripting languages, although on the other hand scripting languages take more processing to interpret during game-time.

Still, either would be good. ;)

I think it does not matter wether they give us the SDK or just some scripts and editors, as long as they give us something to start :laugh: (hacking JA2 was more fun than modding it to me).

If we get the SDK modding would be complicated, cause I do not think that they would make their tools more userfrendly (its simply to expensive). That would result in some high quality modds.

If we get special "user frendly but impotent" "modding tools" we would see many different mods, since it would be so easy to create them. And with high properpility there would be some very good mods as well...

So, as log as we get something to work with there will be a fan-future of this game.

Bimbo

• 1 month later...

I don't know about the in mission scripting language, as things actually happening to the players in our generated (or even pre-designed) missions don't really need that kind of interaction. As far as I recall, most of the story will be conveyed through the research tree and the briefings for the pre-designed missions. As usual, don't quote me on that, I'd need to ask Martin. I don't think that it would be impossible, but I also don't see the pressing need for it with our game structure. It seems pretty likely that your storytelling ability will be limited in the same way, without any in-combat dialog. I'll ask Martin more about this and get you all some more information about it later.

Evan

ALTAR interactive

• 9 months later...

I too hope we can mod the game. :laugh:

I'd love to see a UFO:Enemy Unknown 2 mod for it... but what about the copyright issues? :P

People were asked to stop making a wolfenstien mod for quake2 (or was it half-life?) becuase of copyright issues... (and the fact there was Return to Castle Wolfenstien in the works at the time.) :P