Demo Doesn't Work...

Keymaker

I need your help... the demo doesn't work on my system. I always receive the following fault:

Setup has experienced an error:

Close any running programm (which i did)

Empty temporary folder (which i did)

Check your internet connection (Internet-based setup)

I have a router, which could be a problem... Or what do you think?

Thx for every answer!

Keymaker

P.S. Sry for my poor English...

Edit: I have tried to install the demo on another computer, which is connected to the same network... but the result (flault) is the same.

I meant this one Keymaker:

Q: When trying to start the install, I get: Error Code: -5004 : 0x80041f42 (or similar)

The error message also mentions something about installshield. The complete error message looks like this.

A: This is caused by old installshield drivers/folders still present. To get things up and running again, remove the folder as described in this post.

This is not the same error message as yours, but maybe it's still the same error?

Have the answer to our problem :laugh::P!

The demo Ufo_Aftermath_Demo.exe (downloaded from Cenega-Server) seems to be buggy, but the UfoAftermathDemo.exe (downloaded from GamersHell) perfectly works!

Strange Strange!

@Jaboin: You have to download it for a second time :P!

Greetings

Erm, I now have a different problem with the demo. :laugh: When I start the game, the screen has a serious error, it seems to be misaligned with my monitor. The bottom of the UFO:A screen is now about 2 inches above the bottom of the monitor, with the top of the UFO:A screen now rolled over to the bottom, so when I move my mouse pointer as high as it'll go, it appears at the bottom of the monitor screen. It's also misaligned to the left and right, with the very left hand side now appearing on the right side of the monitor, having rolled over there again. I'm using the latest drivers for my ATI Radeon 9200 on Windows XP.

It does this when I start the game too, which seems to crash or freeze or something when I get into the tutorial tactical section, but the music still plays in the background. Have I done something wrong in a past life I'm now paying for?

what do u mean it blows?! what don't you like about it, sure it's different from the X-COMs, but it's not meant to be X-COM...

there are a few problems, yeah but I wouldn't say the game sucks! hehe, what weren't u happy about?!

S..

Well an earlier post ein001 made was about mind controla nd how he didn't like it in X-COM as it was too hard or something, so I can only assume it's because it was too difficult.

ein001 - read the forum rules. We all know that "blows" isn't generally considered a very complimentary term and some of us also know what "pos" stands for. Therefore you're breaking forum rules. Therefore, even though you don't like the game (just a guess...) you can either come back and post something sensible (an apology would be nice) or get lost.

If you're not going to post anything helpful then why post anything at all? I sure as hell don't want to know your remarkably undetailed, personal opinion and I'm sure others don't either.

Hey guys, I also got a prob...

When I start the demo, the screen goes black...

The screen gives an announcement: out of range, with then soms numbers (frequency and such) My monitor goes at 60hz refreshrate and i have a geforce4 ti4200 and pentium3 800

Can anybody help plz?? :hmmm:

Hi,

I'm trying to play the demo (and I was realling thinking of buying the real game!) but when I start, the screen turns black.

I can only ear the sounds (music and effects) and see the mouse... everything else is just black. And the weirdst is that the game doesnt tell me anything is wrong. It just acts like everything is ok, except I dont see anything beside the mouse. :hmmm:

Any clue to what might be wrong?

I'm having a problem with the demo that doesn't appear to have been listed before, so I'll post it here. I can install the file with no problems, but when I run the executible it will get to 90% (creating menus) and then stop responding. I'm running Win 2K. Processor and mem all above specs. Any guesses?

Mitex - have you tried updating all of your graphics drivers? Sound drivers? What are your system specs?

fading_suns - sounds odd... What are your system specs too?

There have ben a few problems with certain graphics cards and drivers, so if either of you could list them then we might be able to help a bit more :laugh:

Mitex: I answered this in the post before your post! Open the config.cfg file, and set "Use safe refresh rate" to TRUE. The problem is that the game is set to a higher refresh rate than your monitor can take.

As for you fading_suns, do you have the last DirectX version, and if a GeForce, the NVIDIA drivers?

Hey PETE!! dont try to be smart, casue i would bet money ur not. Whats good about the game??? the combat system???? pfft, yea i sure do like having to give command every 1 1/2 seconds, and ive only played the demo, with 4 units. I could only imagine the game with 7... the graphics are a joke, compared to games like silent storm. The only thing good about hte game is it got me back into UFO. And i didnt say anything like "waahhh mind control is too hard for me!!?" I just said it was furstrating that it worked so often, and there shoulda been a counter-measure to it. Im sure the research and manufacutrein AM is almsot mindless (for kids like you). I think most of ue people are sucking up to the game cause yoru confusing it with a x-com, when its just a shit remake. rantrantrant wah wah wah, im goin to buy Silent Storm and wait for a real X-com. cya.

hahaha i wouldnt bother tryin to get it to work if i were u guys, this game freakin blows. WOW! its a shame people relate this to X-Com!

Thank god they put out a demo, or i might have wasted 50 bucks on the pos!

This is what you first posted, and Pete and me told you that if you want to post criticism, that's okay, but not comments like this. First of all, it blows tells no one anything about why, and second, everyone knows what POS stands for, and as Pete says, swearing is against the forum rules.

So I'll make it simple for you. Either you post in a civilized and constructive manner, or I'll ban you faster than you can say POS. Is that clear?

As for constructive criticism, that would be "I didn't like this game much because I was expecting a new X-Com game, and this is too far from it. They have taken away control from you with interceptions, you can't enter buildings and so on". As long as you phrase it like that, no damage done. And as you'll see around the boards, there are plenty of such criticism.