X-COM Rights

ooda

It's now official. Firaxis now owns the rights to X-COM. The news was announced by Julian Gollop on the Laser Squad Nemesis forums. A quote from the message by Julian:

"... At the table with Jeremy Cook was Bob Welch from Infogrames. He asked me what I had to do with X-Com. He then confirmed that they are selling the X-Com rights to Firaxis. So Sid Meier, the guy who largely inspired us to create X-Com, may end up doing an X-Com game. Bob Welch suggested that I should contact Firaxis and talk to them about it. Maybe we should license the LSN game engine to them? That would be funny."

So looks like if all goes well, Sid Meier will be developing X-COM. We'll see in October, when an announcement on Firaxis's new game is to be made.

Links

Julian Gollop's Post on the Laser Squad Nemesis Forum.

Gamespy Interview with Sid Meier, tells a bit about the possibility of a new X-COM.

Granted, we're excited at even the remote possibility of a new X-COM game, particularly in the hands of Sid the Great. However, I think the consensus is that he'll probably not start with X-COM since there are so many of his own games he might want to tinker with. Still, as I said, it's so much more hope than we've had in a long time, I can't blame anyone for latching onto it. :)

Huh. I was searching around last night and found this guy on the Infogrames page saying :

"I decided to do a little investigating. Soon after I began, I recieved hard confirmation that Firaxis did not acquire the X-COM license. Still, I decided to investigate further. I found the truth about the whole situation. Someone who works for Mythos gave further confirmation that Firaxis does not have the X-COM license. He did this in a way no one else did. Apparently Firaxis did try to buy the license. Mythos (or some other company) is currently or will be working on another X-COM title though, so Firaxis didn't not get that license. So, you are probably thinking we are back to square one - far from it. "

But then again, that post was from July, and you ALWAYS deny that you're working on a deal when you're working on a deal, or you'll jinx the whole thing, so this doesn't suprise me. Firaxis has an awesome track record, so hopefully something will come of all this.

I can imagine it... I imagine that everyone here would drop off the face of the Earth, never to be heard from again as they stare passionately at their monitors and click away. :)

Ah, yes, its been so long since ive experienced that kind of feeling:inlove: ... so long its ridiculous... some of the games that did this for me were x-com (duh), chrono trigger (so i play consoles. Please, lets not degrade to console vs PC wars now), mario 64 (hey, it was cool back then), so many other SNES games (i was new to 'next-gen gaming' back then, up til that point it was just the ol' NES), and maybe a few genesis ones.

Ok, for PC, there would be C&C (its kinda lame now, but red alert was AWESOME back then), warcraft2, civilization 2 (3 wasgood, and an improvement, but it didnt make me 'fall off the earth' like 2), the simcity games, and more that i cant remember. Happened a lot back then... not many of those games happened within the last few years!

Over the past few years, the only games i can honestly say did that were homeworld, baldurs gate (1 AND 2), system shock 2, and a couple others i forget. There were those that were close, but had flaws that prevented it from achieving said status (ex: Deus ex: You spent more time at the loading screen than playing the game. Not from long loading, but from dieing so DAMN OFTEN!!!! Dont get me wrong, it was good and all. Just not 'fall off earth' worthy)

Huh. I was searching around last night and found this guy on the Infogrames page saying :

"I decided to do a little investigating. Soon after I began, I recieved hard confirmation that Firaxis did not acquire the X-COM license. Still, I decided to investigate further. I found the truth about the whole situation. Someone who works for Mythos gave further confirmation that Firaxis does not have the X-COM license. He did this in a way no one else did. Apparently Firaxis did try to buy the license. Mythos (or some other company) is currently or will be working on another X-COM title though, so Firaxis didn't not get that license. So, you are probably thinking we are back to square one - far from it. "

But then again, that post was from July, and you ALWAYS deny that you're working on a deal when you're working on a deal, or you'll jinx the whole thing, so this doesn't suprise me. Firaxis has an awesome track record, so hopefully something will come of all this.

Well I posted that. I was wrong about Firaxis not having the license. I was being fed semi-false information. You see, I know far more about Sid Meier games than most people. I have every one of his games. I worked at Sidgames.com for a long time until that site went down.

At the end of the Spring it was learned Firaxis was looking for 3D programmers. During this time, some hints about Alpha Centauri II were made. This made me and a few others believe that SMAC2 was this 3D game. It is know known that it is only a possible expansion pack for Civ3. It wasn't until it was learned they were using the NetImmerse engine that I realized that was just a ploy. Then I came out with the X-COM theory. Days later Sid talked about making a Pirates! or Might and Magic game. Those too were just misinformation.

It is all but officially confirmed that Firaxis has the X-COM license and is making an X-COM game now. I have discussed this with a few people but still no official announcement. That isn't suppose to come out until October.

It is all but officially confirmed that Firaxis has the X-COM license and is making an X-COM game now.  I have discussed this with a few people but still no official announcement.  That isn't suppose to come out until October.

Holy crap, I just creamed myself.

I guess we should start arguing now about what genre it will be? All those for a counter-strike version of X-Com....please proceed offf the nearest cliff

It is all but officially confirmed that Firaxis has the X-COM license and is making an X-COM game now. I have discussed this with a few people but still no official announcement. That isn't suppose to come out until October.

well... i'll wait till the official official announcement before i rejoice, just to awkward. :)

All those for a counter-strike version of X-Com....please proceed offf the nearest cliff

*growls* don't dis counterstrike! :hmmm:

(thus the war commences)

*laughs*

i'll just be happy with thatever comes my way, as long as it isn't dumbed down like enforcer.

Enforcer? Jeez! That was well solid man! That was so mind-bendingly difficult I almost cried myself to sleep :)

Nah, really a fun game in it's own way. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I appreciate what Martin and the team DID do with it as opposed to how they COULD have done it so much worse. I really quite enjoyed it.

Anywho, I think I'll go with Alan on this one and wait for Sid to speak :)

I'd Suggest That everybody email firaxis and show your support for developing a new X-com game. I sent them an email already. I am also going to get all my friends to do an email as well. Am also going to tell my gaming clan and my EQ guild members. I know many people that have been praying for a new (decent original style) X-Com game since the windows port version came out in 1999.

The question is, will emailing Firaxis make a difference?

Sid Meier is known to research on the topic that the game he is developing is revolved around. I'd say, if he's working on a game, emailling him won't make a difference.

I think that someone would have to be blind to NOT see that there is interest. I mean, I'm still appalled that Alliance got canned with how much positive press it got (PC Gamer top games to look forward to 1999, 2000 / Article in PC Games / etc etc).

Fingers crossed people. Fingers crossed. :)

Well there is still a very real chance Firaxis is not making this game.  They do have the NetImmerse engine which means they are making some third person game with RPG elements.

Oh please don't let that be the X-Com game. ???

Argh Pete. :)

Anyway.

The fall-off-the-earth list excluded the Ultima games and Sys Shock 1. Why? :(

Anyway. Alliance is still not :officialy: officialy canned. Hey, ya never know.

Lastly, Sid makes games like X-Com. It's a golden oppertunity. We might finally get those Mechsuits and Jetpacks I've been talking about. :)