Geforce 1 - game crashes.

Silent_Bob

After the intro i just get a timeglas and a black background, and the computer hangs totaly, can't even ctrl-alt-del to the taskmanager. Changed to 16bits graphics, same error.

Got a Creative Geforce Pro (1) 32mb ddr ram - faster than Geforce2 MX cards?

AMD 1100

512 meg ram

What to do?.

It might be a faster card but the GeForce 2 (even an MX) has more features. Presumably UFO is using some functions only available to the GeForce2/Radeon generation.

You might try 3DAnalyze before you give up though. It's a free utility that lets you emulate other hardware using software. You have a slow cpu though so it might get choppy but at least it would work.

Are you serious about the GeForce 2 MX thing? I cant run UFO but im running every other games... Fix it in the next patch.

Are you seriously expecting a games developer to downgrade all their graphics in the entire game just so you can play?

I wouldn't mind, but GeForce 1 is getting a bit old now anyway. Heck, it's not even listed on nvidia's home page.

I'm not trying to come down too hard on you --MDGEIST--, but since they've been saying as far back as I can remember that it'd require a GeForce2, it would be a bit off to expect them to make it work on a GeForce1 for you.

Try some "please's" and "thank you's" as well instead of "Fix it in the next patch". That's just plain rude.

Did you only look at the NVIDIA homepage before talking about GeForce 1 is not even listed?

So go in the download drivers section and at the second step

choose: "GeForce and TNT2"...and you'll get the same drivers as me....So dont

think im a stupid by telling me and i quote :laugh: (even if i dont know how): "it will downgrade the graphics in the entire game."

Like if it required to be a year thing to program cmon... put your pants on and get me a patch soldier!!! :P

See it on the "All Products..." drop down list on Nvidia's homepage? Nor do I. Typing Geforce1 in the search box also brings up nothing, that's why I said it wasn't listed on their homepage and even you had to search a bit to find it.

The point I'm tying to make here is that GeForce 2 is the minimum required for the game to run as it uses some of the features from that aprticular generation of cards and newer, ALTAR would have to do a lot of work on their already completed code to make it work with an older card.

Your quote was completely wrong as well - my original post says that ALTAR aren't about to re-code their game to make it work on an old card.

Besides, GeForce2 cards are only about £40 now... It wouldn't break the bank to upgrade now would it? :laugh:

Anyone hoping to play an modern game on a GeForce is likely to be disappointed (unless all they do is counter-strike).

The GeForce was developed in 1999 - isn't it 2003 now (not far from 2004)?

A brand new retail boxed 64Mb GeForce 2 MX is £25 - i.e. the price of a single new game. A brand new retail boxed GeForce 4 MX is £33!.

Not much to expect from a games developer is it? Get one instead of a new game and it'll boost your gaming in everything.

Feel free to tell me where to shove it.

Yeah! I have an old Vodoo card 16 bit..and dag nab it! They should make the game play on that...

Are you for real? If it says a minuim of GForce 2..then it takes a GForce 2..

Games are not going to get any lower minium requirments...

Time to upgrade and join the real world....

These people were trying to help you...and you spit on them..

Get real...

Actually a GeForce 4 type card is normal now. And it is fairly cheap.

They are up to a 5900 by one company, and that does cost quite a bit.

I bought a 5200 PCI card, but it may take more juice than my computer puts out.

Have not tried it yet, as I am using a GeForce 2 type clone whatever card.

Use Compatibility VA mode, and uncheck the Vertex checkbox, and perhaps, it may work, as that is the only way my card works.

Don't know about other cards, but even ATI is way pass, my other older ATI cards.

And they do not have enough memory, since it also states to have a 32mb card.

My GeForce2 has 64 mB, and on my computer a 1.8gHz Celeron cheapy, it runs almost too fast for the game. I only use slow speed, so I would think your computer is just about right to run the game, and fast speed will probably be a little fast yet. They did make it to run on a 500mHz, and I have that old computer, and may have to yet use it (I had to upgrade for college programs to run), so it may just be dedicated to --- UFO:Aftermath, so I get rid of my 133mHz computer which actually does not really run all that good. It was being used for XCOM, but since the new game came out, I probably will never finish XCOM, unless I stick it on my 500mHz, since the older computer is well, not that good.

The newer graphics cards take more power, and the AGP port with some need a power connector to the card, and a 300 watt power supply. The card I have, does not since it is PCI, but I think I should have bought the GeForce 4 type card.

That will insure that you can run games for a few years more, since that probably will be the bottom card to use --- soon with games.

And all the same drivers work with all of that with nVidia.

Well, enough rambling.

I have to figure out if that 5200 PCI card will work. Hate to burn up the motherboard, but I can stick my GeForce 2 in the 500mHz, and run UFO:Aftermath for years~~ to come.