Final Mission Bug

Rebs_Red_One

My System:

- AMD Athlon 2800+

- 512 MB DDR-RAM PC400 CL2.5 TwinMOS (2x 256Mb)

- Iiyama Vision Master Pro 411 (1024x768@85Hz)

- 128MB Sapphire Radeon 9600 PRO, Driver Version 4.14.01.9118

- Terratec DMX XFire 1024

- MSI K7N2 Delta-L, Sockel A 6570-020R

- Windows 98SE, German Version (All Updates)

- UK/US Version 1.3

Bug description (while trying to remain spoiler free):

I am fighting in the final mission of the game (I hope). I have destroyed the devices in one room and am now trying to enter the large room in the lowest level. At some specific point in time the game invariably crashes. There are a lot of enemies around and I suspect it happens as soon as I see a certain number of them, but I am not sure. A Windows standard error is displayed and I am immediately dumped to the desktop. A frustrating experience I have to admit.

- Error message (varies slightly every time):

UFO verursachte einen Fehler durch eine ungültige Seite

in Modul UFO.EXE bei 017f:004f4920.

Register:

EAX=00000000 CS=017f EIP=004f4920 EFLGS=00010246

EBX=00000000 SS=0187 ESP=00b5f304 EBP=0000001c

ECX=00000000 DS=0187 ESI=0c8c8354 FS=40f7

EDX=00000018 ES=0187 EDI=000002a8 GS=0000

Bytes bei CS:EIP:

8b 41 38 c3 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90

Stapelwerte:

006451bd 0ea529e4 0c8c8354 00000022 0000001c 01000022 0ea529e4 3e8891ea 00000024 00000014 00000022 00000031 00000018 006832f7 00000002 0000002d

I would appreciate any helpfull comment, thanks.

Regards,

Red One

i have had crashes...and lotsa of them...but i never had a problem with seeing to many alians....mostly its cause of the number of mods i have on......

you realy should not have problems....

unless u swiched to the new grafic drivers......they are very bugy...so if u have change back

• 2 weeks later...
Never had that problem. Is a Win problem or DirectX or Ram Module (Hope not this one). Reinstall DX and Video drvs., and try again.

I reinstalled Windows (for another reason) and tried the savegame on a totally clean Version of Win98 with all patches and the newest drivers. It doesn't make any difference.

I also configured Aftermath to run in 16bit colours, because the result of the full screen graphics test was strangely distorted. Again, it made no difference. I guess I will make another try on this mission from an earlier savegame maybe this will help.

Thanks to all of you for your efforts!

Red One

You do realize that by some really satanic, freaky coincidence, these crashes may even be caused by SafeDisc/SecuROM.

I hate those dang things.

Well, if everything worked just fine on your computer, you had to find another hobby to waste the better part of your life on. Hadn't you?

Regards,

Red One

• 4 months later...

Getting exactly the same problem as well!

Just can't get into the large room at the end of the moon mission without the game crashing! Not had a single problem with the game until I reached that room. Not getting any error messages though; sound just loops, and then a CTD. Any suggestions?

AthlonXP2400

512Mb RAM

Win2k SP4

ATI 9800 SE (latest detonator drivers)

Failing a solution I'd be willing to accept a promise that there'll be a follow up to Aftermath!

Probably has to do something with the "drawing" of the final enemies in that room.

- Are you guys using any mods?

- Have you tried switching on-off the VA compatability option?

ATI 9800 SE (latest detonator drivers)

Someone clarify me this please: Aren't detonator drivers for Nvidia cards only?

I have difficulties to believe that there is a problem with the "drawing" of the final enemies in that room. Its not that I open the door and the game crashes. The crash occurs only after I have already fought the battle for a while and killed several of the enemies. But maybe you are right. Is there any not previously seen foe in the room? If this is the case, it might well be that the game crashes a soon as this specific enemy becomes visible.

- I am not using any Mods

- I think I tried all possible combination of video/display preferences. Makes no difference.

Best regards,

Red One

Ps: The reference drivers for ATI-cards are the "Catalyst" series of drivers. I guess E-angel confused those with the "Detonators".

I thought that some people had some problems with some of the ATI drivers, and used a different version of the Catalyst. I really know nothing about all of that, but the UFO:Aftermath board, may have something yet on it, although that changed (the forum and perhaps, all the previous threads).

I found with my GeForce that 72Hz refresh rate seems to work the best, and the only crash I had lately but maybe dust on the CD was with the CD-Rom drivers.

I start with a clean just turn-oned computer though, so nothing is interferring with the game, but you probably seem to have enough memory, unless your Windows swap file (Virtual Memory Manager) may have something to do with it.

I keep my constant for games with Min and Max amount so Windows is not changing it on the fly.

I also close out all little programs, which Sid Meier and crew always said to do, with their games, as every little program takes memory.

With Windows 98 (SE ?) which I do use also, but mainly Windows 2000 Professional, I just get up Task Manager (whatever it is -- Crtl-Alt-Del for Win98) and close out all but Explorer and Systray, when I use Windows 98).

I do not (not sure) about Windows 98, but Windows 95 could not use more memory, then 256mB back then, but Windows 98 may be diffferent.

After all the above, that is all I can suggest, try 72Hz refresh rate, and check video drivers to see if it is the Catalyst Problem, with a certain version (maybe they used 3.7 or something but I am not sure now since my card is different) and that is about all I can suggest.

Have not made it that far in the game yet to know if the game will crash there for me.

Sometimes the game also will crash, if the player gets a little panicky, and does something with the controls of the game. I use to crash the game when I first started playing, but now, I have gotten use to giving Orders to the Squaddies, so all of that stopped.

Sometime there is suppose to be a 1.4 patch, and I think that should be soon.

Sometimes it has also been the computer the player is using, and playing on a different computer, the problems went away.

So~~~~ just suggestions!

Side-tracking abit from the main thread. Windows 98 has a "working" memory size limit (768 MB) and having more than that with that OS you'll get different responses from the system. My results were (from some time ago):

- 1 GB mem: Win98 will boot but you won't be able to run many programs as it soons reports a lack of memory, I couldn't even open a DOS window with everything shut down from the task-manager and freshly booted

- 1,5 GB mem: It won't even boot, the system will report a BSOD every time win98 tries to bootup

Well, that's it, sorry, don't have anything new for the main thread.

Oops! Detonatior, catalyst, same thing . . . . :-)

Wrong PC. Other PC's got an FX5200 in it.

Sounds like it might be an issue with the ATI card though. I'll see if I can't try UFO on one of my other PCs and see what happens. Or failing that I might try revetring to an earlier Catalyst driver.

Oh, and I'm running without any mods or cheats.

Thanks for the advise, sorry for not responding sooner!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had the same problem and while I couldnt figure out why it was crashing I did figure out a work-around to beat the mission.

Just open the door to the final room with one soldier, while the rest of the squad is relatively far away (like 2 or 3 rooms back from the final room). THen just run away with the one soldier back to your squad. The enemies should come a few at a time(they might periodically need a little encouragement from a sniper), allowing them to be killed piecemeal without crashing the game. When they are all dead I was able to move into the final room without crashing the game.

Hope this works for others!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Since I did not seem to be able to find a solution to the problem I got really annoyed with the game and stopped playing it. :P

Today I read silentmayhems post:

Just open the door to the final room with one soldier, while the rest of the squad is relatively far away (like 2 or 3 rooms back from the final room). THen just run away with the one soldier back to your squad. The enemies should come a few at a time(they might periodically need a little encouragement from a sniper), allowing them to be killed piecemeal without crashing the game. When they are all dead I was able to move into the final room without crashing the game.

I tried to do what he proposed, but again the computer crashed regularily. After a while I changed tactics a bit. I killed every alien without any attempt to mind control him. I had no crashes after that.

I did some tests and it seems that the computer crashes if you mind control an alien which in turn can be seen by many other aliens.

Thanks for the help folks! :laugh:

Best regards,

Red One