Xcomutil in XP?

Tammy

I could use a little help from somebody who's using Xcomutil on XP or at least knows how to get it to work. So far, my unflagging optimism about XP seems to be gradually declining. :D I've so far found that I can't get Ex-com to work and now Xcomutil. At least I can play the games with the CE, though they do crash now and then back to the desktop for no apparent reason. I just reload and keep going without much ado--just have to make sure I save often and not lose lots of gameplay.

Anyway, back to xcomutil--HELP! ;)

If you have a copy of the dos version, you should be able to run from the prompt (works like that in 95/98). Get sound driver, cd driver, and mouse driver. That's what I did before getting collector's edition.

Could also get rid of XP and install DOS and 3.11 :D

Xcomutil runs on XP. I have xcom CE runing on two XP systems both with xcomtuil.

Could you be more spacific about your problem?

I would recomend the current beta of xcomtuil as it works better under XP (it has both a 16 and 32 versions and will runs the 32 if your are using xcom CE. It also has a fix for TFTD split EXE aborting combat.)

-Blade FireLight

The problem is that I can't seem to run xcusetup at all. I try double-clicking on it, and I get a DOS screen for about half a second that appears to say the right things, but it disappears. Then I tried going to the DOS command prompt, but I couldn't seem to figure out how to run it from there either because I couldn't change the directory to the one I needed. Grrr....I am sure I'm doing something stupid, which always annoys me. :D

cd\ (go to root dir)

cd xcom (go to a sub-directory xcom)

Also

cd .. (backs up)

md (make dir)

And with the cd xcom you can also go to a dir in xcom (C:\xcom\>cd units)

Tip: install in xcom or ufo instead of program files (<--more than 8 char).

Saves the hassle with the tildes. :D

Xcusetup had a problem with XP... the current beta fixes that...

It also has some problems corectly detecting TFTD on some instalations.

(using xcopy to install the DOS version and one of the warez that uses a odd name for the exe)

-Blade FireLight

Well, that explains why I don't remember seeing it then! :D I'll head over there and look after I eat some lunch. I'll post here if it works, just in case anybody else has the same trouble.

Okay, normally, I'd just go back and edit my last post, but I think it'll be okay just this once. :D

Woo hoo! Many thanks to Bladefirelight for helping me figure out what I was doing wrong. I can now play UFO using Xcomutil. ;)

• 1 year later...

Woo hoo! Many thanks to Bladefirelight for helping me figure out what I was doing wrong. I can now play UFO using Xcomutil. :huh:

CAn you tell me what exactly that you did , to make the Xcomutil work? I similar problem with you. the different is I am playing TFTd ( And I also notice that the XcomUtil does not said it work with DOs version)