UFO crashes when base is placed

MalaU

I got the original UFO: Enemy Unknown on CD but there appears to be a corrupt file on it and it crashes whenever i place the first base....this happens on 2 pc's one 95 one XP so im fairly sure its not compatibility that is the problem...is there anywhere i can download UFO original...im not worried about the collector's edition im gonna buy that when i get the money :D

Thanks

MalaU

Your game is not corrupt. (and this site does not promote downloading the game)

This is a common problem running the game under windows. Expecialy with XP. It can run under 98 with some configuration tweeks but I have not tried 95. I'm sure that some one here has.

Just buy the collectors edition and you wont have any problems runing it. (and it's basicly the same as the dos version anyway)

-Blade FireLight

there is iirc a way to fix this... yes... i recall this problem...

now how was it solved...

i remember having to load an empty game slot...

do nothing, then save it...

then there was something about copying the files that the game says is missing when it crashes from the savegame folder to where they're supposed to be.

it's a wierd method, and mediumly complicated, but iirc it works

so, try it again, and when the game crashes make a note of what files it says are missing and find them.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, the funny thing is, the complete opposite happens to me.

On my P133, UFO Collectors edition is the one that crashes when I place my first base... and I don't mean just crashes, it locks up the computer entirely. Usually win32 programs should just exit to the desktop.

But the dos version works perfectly, barring the odd instability that's rife with all editions of the game.

The CE works alright on my P800. Also gave the dos version a go on my P800 recently, and I was very surprised. Very surprised. It was playable and the Geoscape was only a few frames faster than it was on the p133, which is fine by me. There was only a slight choppiness with the mouse because the rapid game frame updates, but that's not too bad. If I could only get a dos sound driver for this crummy inbuilt soundcard...

Oh well. Different systems, different problems, I guess.

- NKF

Well, it is an ESS Maestro, which is SB compatible. But I'm only having trouble with the wave output. Midi output under dos is fine. I think it's just a dos volume setting problem. See, the thing is, I don't have any dos volume control software... so you can see my dilemma.

But it's not too big a problem. I suppose I can manage playing TFTD (reason why I tested UFO first) without any soundeffects. It takes me back to the days I first started playing TFTD on my 4meg ram, 80486-50 dx2 with a PC speaker... yeah those were the days. I remember just giving up after a few tries then playing something else. Then I later got this lousy soundcard that didn't even need any sound drivers loaded or the 'blaster' field set to anything and it would work. Only 8-bit mono output with a maximum of 22000 sampling rate, but I kind of miss that soundcard. Gave it away to someone who needed it more than I did. :D

Anyway, followups to my little problem should be taken to the private messenger, please. Don't want to drift too far off topic here.

- NKF

Something like that happens with me. Except, for me, it's the collectors edition, and it doesn't say anything aboutn files missing, it says it recieved an illegal instruction. I imported a file from my uncle's computer, which I would be playing it on now if the hard drive wasn't messed up, and it worked until I got to a battle. As soon as I stepped one unit off the transport, it crashed.