lek

Athlon XP T'Bred 2400+

512MB un-registered non-ECC

Monitor - Dell P991 1024*768 @ 120Hz but running at 85Hz

Graphics - Radeon 9700 using Cat. 3.8's

Sound - Built in nForce 2 SoundStorm

Mobo - A7N8X Deluxe using 2.45 nForce drivers + 1007 BIOS

Windows 2003 Enterprise Server

UFO: Afterman English version 1.1a installed fine (patch applied BEFORE ANY saves were made)

Last time I played UFO:A everything was fine, saving games/loading games no problem. So...I quit the game and save before doing so.

Now when I come back today, I find that trying to open my save game results in the following error:

assert_fatal

file: C:\ufo_src\ASL\kvfs.cpp line:116 "Profiles/Default/Saves/start.vfs": bad CRC

So, complete nightmare. Unlikely I'm gonna be able to carry on with my save game due to it being corrupt.

Start all over again I guess..... :laugh:

The thought did cross my mind, but it gets checked regularly and I havn't had any problems with it recently with anything else. Also the save appeared to work fine whereas I thought it may have hung the system/crashed the game (or an error at least) if it had had trouble saving.

Will do a physical scan now to see.

Assert fatal sounds vguely familiar... My brother and I got one bug at exactly the same time on two different machines with two different versions of Aftermath... Happened twice in a row when trying to load a game I think and thn it just behaved itself... Weird.

Sounds like yours could be a tricker problem though. Have you tried simply clicking the PLAY button when you load up the game for the first time? This loads it up from the game's latest autosave when you quit I think, so don't hold me to that one :laugh:

What I meant was that antivirus programs seem to be affecting games during saving. Try making sure you're disconnected from the 'net (and thus mostly safe from viruses) and playing the game with your antivirus and all other programs switched off... If it still happens in the future, then out goes that theory :laugh:

I'll give it a go, although I can't say any other games I play have been affected before.

I'm getting really messed up sound now as well, and just had a very strange crash and reboot.

I've got a feeling that it's since I installed the Catalyst 3.8's (some people are reporting quite bad problems with them), I think the new VPU recover function in those drivers may be getting in the way of things based upon the crash I had.