X-COM Convention - Random Ideas...!

Pete

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my A-level exams are next year too so like Vet I won't be able to make it if its at June/July and that yes the summer hols (Late July onwards) as I'll of finshed 6th form and it'll be me just working to get cash to support my Alcohol fulled University life ready :) Also if it's after June I'll be able to legally purchase alcohol :)

I would come! Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes!!!! Even that little stretch of water that bars intelligent UK with stupid UK (ie where I live) wouldn't stop me! Heh.

Of course, summer time would be the best time, as everyone in school has finished their exams, and is off for the summer holidays, and people in work will find it easier to take a few days off. Just my 2 trilks (Andrewnation's national currency)

Well normally you're talking about 200 but that's star trek so we won't be too ambitious!

I'd say to hope and pray for between twenty something and thirty... Being realistic... BVut hopefully we can build on it at a nice steady pace. If it happens it won't be until the Summer hols anyway so that leaves us plenty of time... Everyone who's said yes start poking you're mates until they are converted to XCom!

God,I haven't been to a convention since I started playing d+d over 20 years ago(yes I still play;like x-com,it's impossible to stop playing forever).Would I be interested in attending an x-com one?You bet!The bread-knife can keep the kids amused(again).'Here's another Uk resident-keep 'us posted and I'll be there if this becomes a reality.

There is a slim chance that I might make it. England (or rather London) is very high on my must visit list, so I could perhaps attend if the timing is in my favour and if it isn't held in some outhouse on a remote island. June and late July would probably be best for me but I can't be sure.

What could be hypothetical activities at such a hypothetical convention? Would it just be the consumption of alcohol and the poking of others with imaginary stun rods? :)

Cazbol

All us British guys with ou shiny accents and shiny shoes... How could you resist Tammy? :)

Just hypothetically... Would it be possible to arrange a meting place with a large LAN network? That interceptor game we've all been talking about for ages... And we'd finally be able to have a real head to head tournament of Email XCom!

Interceptor LAN party...hmmm...I'm not too familiar with how it would all go together but in theroy all we'll need is a computer to act as a server and then we'll have to bring our own computers chances are that we'll only manage be able to manage a LAN of 20 computers max, might be able to do more however I reckon 5 or 6 would be better and we'd be able to have a kind of knock out game, but I'm not totaly sure on how to set up a network, I can learn how to set up a small LAN but I certainly wouldn't like the idea of doing more than ten - do we have any one who knows how to setup and sortout LANs here?!

Oh yeah and a location with power sockets and tables would be handy aswell!

Lan.... lets see, needed would be:

1 computer per player.

x hubs (where x = number of players / capacity of 1 hub)

1 network cable per computer.

assuming all pc's have network cards.

or... the nice old approach of many bits of bnc cable and assorted connectors.

(or in other words, yes i can network PCs although i need the right kit, and i haven't tried anything other than win 9x yet)

Heh, I can't believe I've just been insulted as a member of XCAS. People trying to make something new being put down by the "hardcore" gamers... I never thought I'd see it happen here.

Well, I can't be there, and I'm sorry I can't, but it doesn't look like my XCASness is welcome anyway. I hope everything goes well for you all!

Going on a hypothetical vacation to the UK from Denmark or Iceland is by no means a major feat. However, bringing my fairly large PC, a 19" monitor, keyboard etc. would pose some packing problems. Unless some near bankrupt netcafé can be found, I'd just have to consume alcohol, poke the players with make-believe stun rods or insult the reloaders.

Cazbol

LAN parties aren't my thing. Webcafe sounds more logical than packing in PC's though.

What else could we do, hmm

Beer

Visits to crop circles or other UFO-related misc

Visits to movie studios?

XCOM-GURPS RPG session (good if coincident with a gaming or anime convention)

Military base tours? (How many guests can our resident cadets invite?)