I have "access violation" bugs... often...

Harrdy

I can't pin down the problem, it occures at different times and even when I am doing "nothing" (waiting for new assignements). And yes, I installed the newest drivers (without them the game wouldn't run at all).

(one of) The error message(s) is:

Application crashed: access violation reading from address: 0xb819480f!

SymInit search path: g:\Program Files\CENEGA\UFO Aftermath

SymGetSymFromAddr:126, addr:0xb819480f

StackWalk:126

I have Windows XP (Sp1) and a geforce2mx400. And I have the german version of the game...

I ALSO get a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error" from time to time.

Runtime Error

g:\Program Files\CENEGA\UFO Aftermath\UFO.exe

abnormal program termination

Pretty please, will there be a patch? I REALLY want to play the game, but every 1/4 hour a restart get's frustrating...

(and sorry 'bout my english... not my native tongue)

PeAcE

I am an Administrator (User Group), do I have to install as THE Administrator or is the user group "Administrators" sufficient?

Another one with a little bit more "flesh":

Application crashed: access violation writing to address 0x77e83e1c!

SymInit search path: G:\Program Files\CENEGA\UFO Aftermath

GetDriveTypeW at line ??? addr:0x77e7d5b1

GetDriveTypeW at line ??? addr:0x77e7d82d

LoadLibraryExW at line ??? addr:0x77e7d8cb

LoadLibraryExA at line ??? addr:0x77e7d95e

SymGetSymFromAddr:487, addr:0x00422d98

SymGetSymFromAddr:126, addr:0xa0ff0000

StackWalk:126

There is a lot of noise from the hard disc before the game crashes... I have 256MB Ram, maybe a problem with that? (but 128 should also suffice)

PeAcE

I believe there are other people playing the German version of UFO:A without these problems. Therefore, I am afraid it would appear to be an issue with incompatibility with your computer and the game.

This means that it is unlikely Altar will never release a patch that will solve your problems.

Whilst it may not be very satisfying to hear that it's your problem not Altars, I'm afraid thats the way it is, because of the nature of PC gaming these problems arise. Whilst many applications may run on your computer and others may have problems, unless it is truly a problem with UFO:A and not some other issue caused by something on your computer then the onus is on you to solve the problem.

That was basically a disclaimer so when i say you need to check your computer you'll understand why.

The most basic thigns is to check your computer is all sorted right away, e.g. virus check it, remove spyware and malicious programs, make sure it's got all the patches from Microsoft. latest drivers etc. make sure all the connections are firmly in place, it's cooled properly and the PSU is up to it's task, do a scandisk and defrag.

if none of those fix it then your in trouble.

It may be that you have some corrupt librarys installed on your computer, the only way to solve this is find the problem and replace it with the latest non-corrupt one. this is very difficult which is why re-installs are often advised, because it's often easier, unless you consider the problems that arise from building your system from scratch.

If there is a lot of disk access when the problem happens perhaps there are some rogue programs doing bad things, make sure you have no bad programs running, such as worms and such, disable windows file indexing service, make sure your hard disks aren't throwing up bad blocks, or sending corrupt data that could cause a problem to the program. (e.g. scandisk)

Apart from the usual advice theres not much else to say if it's not fixable easily, then you can pretty much guarantee it's going to be incredibly difficult and contrived. In which case you make a decision to either work at it and fix it, or to not play UFO, and hope any other programs don't have the sam problem.

Strange enough the "install as Administrator" DID work (a little bit). Now I can play between 1 and 2 hours until the game crashes. Although I cannot understand WHY there should be a difference between installing as one member of the Group Administrators and being THE Administrator... maybe a M$ Problem (again).

Now ONLY the "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error" appears.

Runtime Error

g:\Program Files\CENEGA\UFO Aftermath\UFO.exe

abnormal program termination

Again I find that sometimes there is much activity on my hard disc, sometimes nothing happens afterwards, sometimes the game crashes.

And by the way, the system is about one week old. I installed Windows XP brandnew and I also installed all drivers. I have NO problems at all with other programs. And this Visual C++ Error also DOES look like a bug, sorry...

PeAcE

I just patched (and restarted on an easier setting :laugh: ) and now I seem to be getting the same crashes, as well as occaisionaly the whole pc freezing when I try to run the game from the shortcut. Different OS (2k Pro) and different version (English, patched) I have virusscanned and done all the usual "why the hell wont this bloody game work" type fixes, but im thinking perhaps this is something other than my pc.

Great game tho, so im off to try again :)

..... 30 seconds and 1 edit later

And if i had read the threads as suggested above, i would have realised that its a known issue to do with the recalculation of borders, thats is to be addressed in the next patch :)

https://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewth...s=0&id=545313#4

Im off to try again anyway :)

(I notice its only a problem if you have a lot of bases, I only have like 5, but its early yet... area 51 here I come)

Ah, this one is new...

UFO:AM: UFO.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x77f69d63" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program

It happened in a tactical combat. Also in tactical combat I have (a lot) of graphic "errors". There are all kind of "objects" (looking like large crystals) blending in and out and overlapping the game graphics.

I also pinned down one bug (at least it seems so). If the "user interface" disappears (happens in strategic and tactical mode sometimes) every action I take (Space to speed up game, click somewhere in the tactical map) crashes the game. But when I hit ESC to get into the Options Screen *sometimes* when I return (after saving the game, of course) the screen is "nomal" again.

Here details about my system:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1

Processor: AMD Athlon Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~700MHz

Memory: 256MB RAM

Page File: 170MB used, 447MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)

(Video) Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Display Memory: 32.0 MB

(Video) Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4523 (English)

(Sound) Description: Creative Sound Blaster PCI

(Sound) Driver Version: 5.01.2501.0000 (English)

PeAcE

Hey I've had this crash today too. (I have the UK version). IT was eird It happened just before my helicopter arrived for a mission and I viewed my squad, and then the mission suddenly started, but all I could see was the equip screen, and I couldn't exit, so I quit the game and thats when I noticed the crash error, the same as what the first person in this thread said.

I have no access violation bugs anymore. I installed the game as the user Administrator and they vanished. The other bugs (?) still persist.

I think they are related with the graphic in any way. Because most of the time the "interface" vanishes (I can see only the globe or the tactical view) and then it crashes. Maybe some kind of Problem with my Processor (Athlon)? I don't know... but I am nearly finished with the game now and afterwards I can wait for a patch 8o)

PeAcE

I can reproduce this bug 100% of the time by switching out of the application into Windows (alt+Tab).

I'm sure this solution was in the readme.txt file in the game folder. It says you need to update something in order to be able to ALT+TAB. I just made sure I never needed to do so :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I got Visual Studio 2003 and c++ Builder and i dont have any problems except one

................................................................................

""Q: When I play, the game suddenly crashes, and the error message includes "Stackwalk (something)".

A: This is a error in the 1.0 and 1.1 versions of the game. It will be fixed in the next patch. Read the "official" reply here. There is also a possible solution here, but we give no guarantee it will work...""

................................................................................

I got this error-message but i have the SPANISH VERSION...

so...what can i do? is there any patch for me?

i only find Czech, English and German version

PLEASE HELP ME !! :alien2: :alien2: :alien2: :alien2:

• 1 month later...

Well, I have changed my system (you know, chrismas *g*) a bit (2500XP+, 512MB RAM, ATI Graphic Card) and now I have no problems whatsoever. While that is nice it also seems to point to not supported hardware. The tree parts changed where 256 MB of Ram, an Athlon 700 (plus mainboard from ASUS) and a gForce 2MX Graphic card. I would suspect the graphic card, but sadly I cannot test this as my new Mainboard does not support AGP2x.

PeAcE

Oh, stupid me... my old graphic card had AGP 4x, so there was no reason to buy a new one.. well, ok, there was a reason, but anyhow. I tried the game again with my old card and it worked!

So there are only two possibilities open, as far as I can see. One one Hand it might be that my old Motherboard (ASUS k7M) or my old CPU (Athlon 700) where somehow a problem, on the other hand the problem might be the 256 MB of Ram (but as far as I know the game should run with that amount...)

Ok, maybe I have Gemlins, that might be the third possibility 8o)

Anyhow, if anyone else experiences the same problems it might be interessting if he has also an ASUS Mainboard (k7M) or an (old) Athlon CPU.

PeAcE