One More Time Now...

Pete

Due to the current hosting situation, we are moving servers for what will hopefully be the final time during the next twelve months. As such, the forums have been closed to the public as any new posts from this point will not be carried over to the new server.

It can take up to 72 hours for the domain switch to kick in, which can vary depending on any number of random reasons I don't even pretend to understand, so please be patient.

Apologies once again for the inconvenience and we hope to see you again on the other side.

Find... FIND? I had to write the importer and exporter myself. Only took a few hours though ;).

The importer doesn't handle bones and a lot of other stuff in the model file, so it doesn't work with character models and some complex weapons. You can import them but loose the skeleton.

The exporter saves the vertices and triangles in the UFO:AM format so the user can copy them into the model file in place of the original. That way the model doesn't loose information like pivot points and texture paths.

They handle normals, UV maps and probably adding new vertices/faces so basic model editing is possible.

Download here (53KB) and place in the Milkshape 3D directory if you want to try them out. I might release the source (on sourceforge?) if others are wanting to improve on it.

Fulby

*Insert looooooooong kissing sound here*

I'm a man of my word ;). Very well done! ;) You will have to post a thread about this once the server move is complete. I don't have Milkshape, and I wouldn't know how to use it anyway, but Aralez is out of excuses. Back to Rebalance Aralez! ;)

*insert looooooooooong kiss no.2 here*

YES! Now let's see what this baby can do!

Should be quite fun for me though! Maya to Milkshape to UFO:AM! Hope the model dosen't get screwed up in the process if it is even possibile.

Those this plugin support the animations?

Those this plugin support the animations?

No, animation is bone-based and the plugin doesn't support bones. Also animations aren't stored in the model file, instead they're in a few huge (15MB) files which would make editing them as part of a model a much more difficult proposition.

As far as I know Milkshape models only support one bone per vertex, while the UFO:AM models sometimes use two bones on a vertex. This may make character model editing problematic or plain impossible.

I vote that Fulby keep developing this one, and that sigget helps. Anyone opposed to that? No? Thought so...

Well if it's put up on Sourceforge anyone can add to it, and add the features they most want. I'm just looking over what that would require.

Fulby

Well if it's put up on Sourceforge anyone can add to it, and add the features they most want.  I'm just looking over what that would require.

Sounds good! Would it be much trouble to port this to other programs like 3dStudio? Since that's the one ALTAR is using, I suppose it supports more then one bone per vertex?

One per vertex sounds weird, are you really sure about this?

When will you be releasing the plugin that can save directly into vfs-files? ;-) If you look at vfslib that vfstool uses you'll see that working with files in vfs-archives isnt much different from handling regular files. So it can surely be done, if there's any point to it =)

I tested the plugin with an unregistered version of Milkshape on the model of the knife, copy-and-pasted the data in the model-file and it worked ! But as i see another version of the tool is already on the way ? Btw, Milkshape isn't freeware... Is 3dStudio ? I guess not. Maybe you should concentrate on a freeware 3deditor like ANIM8TOR. Ah and one small question: is it legal to distribute models made with the unregistered version of Milkshape3d ? ???

I made some changes to existing armour models the old "Fulby" way (hand-edited) maybe i can include them in a new version of the RBMOD, too....

And another thing: How about some helpers and volunteers for making that models ? ;)

https://www.lognvik.no/Aftermath/q1.jpg

https://www.lognvik.no/Aftermath/q2.jpg

Some shots of a quick test: Size-edit of the BFG9000 and the shape-edit of the knife.

I realized armours and buildings can't be changed with that tool (even when copy-n-pasting the different parts by hand). So all it can edit are the weapon models. ;)

See this link right here:

https://forum.ufo-aftermath.com/index.php?showtopic=76#

@Aralez

I believe that in that thread BlackAlmaz is asking to be let into the weapons model modding crew.

So maybe he could be your first helper?

Making cooler looking weapons is a good first step.

Hopefully, someone from Altar will jump in and give you super genius types a few hints about adding a few more bones into the process?

The buildings and shit in the missions are stored in the ufoblock-files, the structures in those files are the same as in the models. So theoretically you could import and export models too and from ufoblocks, or at least decompose ufoblocks into several files, modify them, and then reassamble them into an ufoblock again.

The kulisa's also use the same structure internally.

Ive got all these formats documented, and its in the modding reference but the formatting is all screwed up there, if you want ill send it to you.

no armours...but i belive a tank can be made..i'm playing around with this...so far i made a veryy cool looking flame throuer...light machin gun.....and usp with a site....but it all goes to waist if i cantscale...or where to place them when i'm testing.....what do import or extract those files to

i'm to try a atnk next....because we can make moving parts all i can try is to make a hover..tank....most likle....rockets launced from the hall...thus making it a mobile stingwer site..??

if we can just give this model to a unit....with out animations...it should be good....

i'm just wondering how many bones does the head have...in the game....and if we can make an and if just one...i will make an sas....mask......gas mask..and so on..

and the silanced pistol will finally have a silancer....i will try to make a advanced silanced m82....wich shoots high velocity shels...thanks to the rail system modefication...flying the hall map......the bullet once coliding with a target..will sqourte smoke out...to confuse enemies...and other creatures...this enemy will be dead starit off......but because of the heat created in the barel...it will take a while to reloed

but i do nee to know scalings....and where to find the folder

Alright, here we go: BlackAlmaz, most weapons that were added in the RBMOD have their own modelfile (thx to some planning towards a modeleditor), they are in the TACTICAL/MODELS/WEAPONS folder. Go use and abuse all the files you want ;) You have all permission to use the files of the mod.

Atm i can't join you in your modding, but next week i have some days off, i can be of help then. As for now: Go go go! ;)

If you have some problems send me a PM, i will check them daily.