Bomb Bloke's fixit kit

Bomb Bloke

I look at this thread (for the first time) and I see a whole bunch of questions. Wouldn't it be easier if we just posted answers, so people can come check here first, and thus save time all round? :D

For instance. Why Apocalypse hates XP. The OS does not support dos. It says it supports Windows 95, which in turn supports dos, but it doesn't do the dos bit. In short, XP has compatibility mode, but not dos compatibility mode.

Apocalypse was designed with Windows in mind, but not fully. So it can be tweaked. UFO and TFTD are pure dos, and so it you get XP to run them, you're doing well.

In short, XP invalidates all your old software, and doesn't really open up any new doors for you. Stick with 98 if you wanna be an X-Com gamer.

So my point is, if you know (or think you know) any useful stuff, post it here! That way the same questions won't repeat over and over and over and over and...

well, if you are savvy (is that the right word?) enough, you can install linux and run a win98 emulator....or maybe have 2 partitions on your xp box, one for xp, one for 98, and duel-boot. or maybe just buy an old P II and run 98. of course, those all involve either some knowledge of computing, or money, which the former i think we all have.

There are programs on XP that will allow you to run Win98 within XP, without dual booting the system. Rather expensive, and I have never tried it, but they are out there. I think it would be cheaper to buy an old computer off of somebody, though. Got my Pentium 150 w/48 megs of RAM for $20 at a garage sale.

Actually you shouldn't need any fancy programs at all to run a dual-boot machine. There was an article on Gamespy's hardware site (planethardware.com) about doing this very thing.

The short version of it goes something like this:

1) Find a blank hard drive

2) Partition it

3) Install Win98

4) Install XP on second partition opting for the dual-boot option

5) Simply select which OS to use at startup

I may have made a mistake there somewhere (don't try this at home without full instructions :D) so if you're interested, head on over to planethardware.com and search for that article.