X-COM: UFO Defense Gold Edition

ShadowBlade

The game's resolution is stretched in a way that I can't completely see the right nor the left side of the screen, and the top and bottom sides are reduced. The screen forms a rectangle, if that helps. I'm using Windows 98 SE and my monitor is a Philips 107T.

I've also tried it on Win XP and it works fine there.

Have you tried to use the fix contained in XCOMUTIL? I was running a Voodoo 3 16 MB card on my computer, and the game ran fine. Got my GeForce 4, and the graphics were garbled. The fix itself, if you don't want to use XCOMUTIL, can be found here, under Misc. It may fix your problem for you, as there is apparently a DirectDraw error that Mythos did not fix when they re-released the game.

It didn't seem to do anything! What am I supposed to do? I extracted ALL the files to my "Xcom" directory, but I had to move the LDR_XCOM1.EXE file to the main directory. Then I executed the program, selected UFO.EXE from the open-file dialog. The game starts, but it still has the same problem (Resolution problem).

Am I doing anything wrong?

Here's a thought:

Have you fiddled around with the screen width, heights and the horizontal and vertical offsets on your monitor itself? I notice that some lower resolutions (like X-Com's mode-13h) tend to have slightly different visual settings from the one used by Windows (on the few monitors I've used, at least.)

- NKF

No, I haven't played with the width and height of the screen. By the way, how do you change the resolution from INSIDE the game?

I hate this problem! As I said before, the DOS version of the game runs fine, and also does the Windows version on Win XP.

Another thing, you didn't answer my question: am I doing something wrong with the supposed fix??

• 2 weeks later...
After doing some research on your monitor (to ensure it wasn't a flatpanel lcd) and after looking at a few pictures of it, I would have to say that NFK's suggestion should fix your problem. You have not recently posted a reply to his suggestion. Have you fixed the problem by adjusting the picture position with the buttons on the front (toward the bottom right) of the monitor?

It may work, but it's a bit tedious to change the resolution using the buttons between Windows and X-COM. Say I want to play UFO: I change the resolution, then, after playing a couple of hours, I exit the game and open another one which uses higher resolution; I have to change the res every time I want to play UFO!

If there's any way to program the monitor to adjust to UFO's resolution and then switch back to normal when I exit, please tell me.

Perhaps you can come to a compromise and set the angle and dispersion of your monitor's electron gun so that it looks good in all resolutions?

Of course, some monitors, particularly newer ones, save the settings for the different resolutions, so you needn't have to adjust the controls all the time.

The game itself cannot change resolutions, so that is not an option. They should have allowed the CE versions to be minimised into a window... oh well.

- NKF

It may work, but it's a bit tedious to change the resolution using the buttons between Windows and X-COM. Say I want to play UFO: I change the resolution, then, after playing a couple of hours, I exit the game and open another one which uses higher resolution; I have to change the res every time I want to play UFO!

If there's any way to program the monitor to adjust to UFO's resolution and then switch back to normal when I exit, please tell me.

How old is the monitor YOU'RE using? Most sold in the last few years will save the settings to apply to a particular resolution. So when you flip back to windows, it will look correct, then when you load xcom again, it will be correct for that res, as well.

• 4 weeks later...