Getting the '$old Out' version of UFO running

Cadmus

Well it runs fine until I try to build me first base, it then crashes out with a long error. I'm running the $old Out version of UFO under XP using VDMsound and nothing else (in the way of retro utilities).

Obviously the error message would help but I can't remember it off the top of my head so I'll have to post it later. Any-one know of this error.

Hmm, I've got the same version of UFO. If I remember correctly, is Unknown misspelt?

I don't have UFO loaded on my XP machine, but I need my X-COM fix, so I'll try to get it going tonight, and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll post the error, and/or possible fix here.

i vaguely remember having this problem with my soldout version....

the error message says something about missing files, da?

if so the trick is to:

1) load an empty save game slot (trust me, ok)

2) save immediately. do nothing else.

3) copy the files in the save game folder (the one you saved into) to where it says they are missing from....

voila... it worked for me anyway...

or, if they are on the cd then copy them from there.

btw, /me has three version: collectors, sold out, and origional (still in shrink wrap i might add) :D

The dos edition...

The dum.bin file is just a placeholder to ensure that the missdat directory was created when the game was unpacked and installed. Most old games did that.

The missdat folder just stores data of the current battle in progress (usually the first turn) and/or the results from the last mission. It's really just a save file. Whenever you terminate the current executable's execution with ctrl+c/ctrl+break (which only works in the dos edition), the missdat directory is where the game gets the results from the last battle from.

It's okay to erase the contents of this folder as the game will automatically generate the needed files in there. But if your game is not generating them, something must be wrong.

- NKF

Hmm, peculiar.

Just wondering, does your copy run off a cd? I recall some of the earlier copies of UFO that came on compact discs installed a minimal number of files onto the hard drive and kept most of the data files on the cd in order to save space. I'm wondering if the game's trying to write to the missdat folder on the cd.

- NKF

Was that the only setup file on the cd? You could try exploring the cd a bit. It's probably under a different directory name.

I recall the setup for the full installation was in the 'harddrive' directory in the Terror Unknown compilation (With a missing intro.exe file for UFO).

- NKF

Hmm, can't say.

You could try and get a directory listing of all the *.exe files on your cd.

Heck, if that doesn't turn anything up, try looking for *.com and maybe even try the *.bat files as well.

I suppose you could install the game the normal way and then copy all the data files over, but I've never done that before so I wouldn't know if it would work, or whether you'd need to make a few tweaks in the batch file or not.

- NKF

Hmm, ok, I've got a CD version here, and it's activated by a hdinst.bat. Here are the contents:

@ECHO OFF

CLS

CD \HARDDISK

INSTALL

CD\

So, for the DOS command challenged, it goes into the folder name harddisk and activates install. That's the exact spacing too, I'm not sure about the slashes... At any rate, this CD is the one that came packaged with UFO, Master of Orion, and Master of Magic. I don't have this Setup95.exe though.

Is this the Collector's Edition? Maybe with this info, someone with the same version could help.

hmmm.......well i have the original and the sold out version, but i run mine in the dos shell in windows'98 never really had any problems with either of them........ but i would recommend, partitioning your drive and installing Windows '98 on there, because 98 works best for running games, any kind of games....... :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

Talk about coincidence... I found a copy of said UFO distributed by Sold Out Software in the bargain bins.

It's the cd version all right -- and version 1.4 to boot.

For your convenience, you can make a full install by installing it as normal and then copying the files the installer didn't copy over into the game directory on your harddrive.

You'll need to copy the following directories and everything in them:

UNITS

UFOGRAPH

UFOEXE

UFO2EXE

TERRAIN

RUNEXE

ROUTES

MAPS

GEOGRAPH

GEODATA

And you'll need to copy UFOINT\ufoint.fli if you want the intro, otherwise, this file is optional.

If you used the plain copy command through dos or the windows explorer to copy the files over, You will also want to go to each directory and remove the read-only attribute from all the files -- not sure how important the 'archive' flag is, but you might want to set it.

I tried it, and the game no longer reads off the cd.

If you're successful, you might want to rename ufocd.bat to plain old ufo.bat, since using ufocd to run the game directly off the harddrive and not the cd could be somewhat misleading. :D

- NKF

• 1 month later...