interceptor probes

rebelpiolt

ok,i have heared a lot of ppl talk about the probes on interceptor,untill i got xp i had no problem,but now,well,the game is useless,data jammers block my downlinks and im stuck,i think its bull that the game company dont find the problem and fix it,i pain $30 for this game and now im at a waist,their other games are great but i will boycott their games if they dont provide proper support for their products,and so too will my friends,witch runn game stores and the like,and i suggest if u paid good money u do the same,dont buy their games or sell them if u own a game store,if u cant run a game company than dont buy it out

What's your problem with this game? Instead of b****ing, why not see if you can get your problems fixed? Ahhh, there we go.

While we're on the topic, I think it's bull that you can't get a thousand troopers together in X-Com Apoc and stun the daylights out of an Overspawn. I want one alive, dammit! :D

Watch your attitude. You came in here, a forum in which people are asking for help, and outlined your problem poorly, at best. Instead of responding civilly, all I get from you are insults. You don't want help, that's a-ok with me, just don't post, and everything will be cool.

With regards to your obvious question, computer games, like everything else, are not designed to last forever. Rather, they are not designed to be compatible forever - they will last as long as they a method of storage. We are under the illusion that they can be played forever because they last forever, but this is not the case.

So, my advice to you is to get a sense of humour, and get a bit of perspective - it's Interceptor, not the world, that is at stake here.

ur right,but it dont make up for the money im out of,if u make a game u should provide support,and the company that owns x-com has done a poor job in support of their games and their tech support just give me "were sorry but we have no information on this problem" bull crap,if i cant get at least a were sorry,we will look into it,even if its a lie,than y should i contenue buying from the company :D

Sure, I think they should provide support. You may or may not have noticed, but X-Com has changed hands about three times now? Did you notice? If so, then you might begin to realize why whomever owns it now has no interest in supporting it. Why should they, THEY certainly don't make much money off of it. Who owns it? Firaxis? The game is worth so little, they certainly wouldn't be making a profit. So yes, while I would like to see this game, and every game supported under XP, it isn't so.

As far as I know, Bullfrog hasn't supported Syndicate under XP... I'm not even sure if it's still around. But for the sake of argument, let's say it is. I phone them up, they say, "Sorry, we don't have any info on this game" which is probable, because it is an old game. I ask "so it won't run under XP?" They can say "no, sir, it won't" or "Let us work on it sir" and then ignore my request. So, why did I buy the game? If I had never played it before, yes, then I would be pissed like nothing else. It also meant I didn't do my research very well, but that would be my problem. Why else? Maybe, because we'd like to see more games out. You like X-Com Interceptor, yes? So do I. And I payed far more for it than you did (unless yours in in USD heh). You want to see more X-Com? Then you'd best support it. If you want to stay static, look for a solution, but don't complain when there is none.

Precisely what DragonHawk said, Infogrames has no interest in supporting games they didn't have anything to do with. The company that made the game in the first place doesn't exist any longer in the same way it once did. To expect anyone so long afte the game came out to re-code half of it to work under XP is as insane as wondering why the creator's of the original Populous no longer patch it to work on the latest systems!

It's not just a case of the game being old, or having to change the code for reasons that Bill Gates should be shot for (backwards compatability my arse), but expecting the companies to say at the time the game comes out that tech support is going to cover all future operating systems as far as the eye can see is just plain silly.

Sure, boycott Infogrames and don't buy another one of their titles. They won't care, it's been proven time and again, and they publish far too many games to care. They've got such a huge gamer-base buying all of their products that they're not going to give a damn about anyone who say's they're not going to buy their games any more.

That's just not the way to go about it. As DragonHawk says, if you want X-COM to continue, don't take it out on X-COM. If you want to get a point across to Infogrames, get all of these friends of yours together and all send in an email asking for help, once or twice a week every week until you finally get noticed and the monkey at the other end of the email decides to pass it onto their superior rather than give you a stock response again. Hell, if you really do know people who run gaming stores, then you could even have a bit of weight behind your case if you do what I just suggested, but coming into a fansite forum and moaning at us is going to achieve diddly squat. We have less power to do anything than a jellyfish stranded on a beach whilst the tide's going out and there's a group of boys approaching with long sticks and inquisitive looks on their faces... strange but true.

And, not to sound like I'm being oppressive here, but if you say BITE ME to a moderator again, I'll kick your ass off these forums so damn fast you won't even see the door on the way out til it smacks you in the face. If you've got a problem with that, you can either PM (personal message, hint hint) me or alternatively, if you've run out of option, BITE ME instead! ;)

:D

once again,sorry,but i think i got the fix,i dont want them to basicly rebuild the game,where would the fun in that be,but i do at least expect a game company who buys another to take responsabily for game now under their controll,ya know?x-com apoca was a pain to get working in its self,but i paid $.99 USD for it,i find more than that in my couch once a mounth,but ya see,here what gets me,the have an x-com collectors edition and it works with xp,so if they have the files to fix the games to work with me/2k/xp,y not release it,im gonna post my fix to the probe problem in a few,sorry for all the trouble,im just sick now,but still no excuse for it,sorry

:D

This is where his solution is:

rebelpiolt's Probe Solution

It involves removing the 'initialization' for the probe, it seems. Anyways, I'm not a techie, go see his solution.

I'm closing this because I don't think any more will be gained by leaving it open. This will not be deleted because I think it's other content is still useful, and it's a warning to any others who do not "see the light". :D