VMware

Ice2056

I've been trying to get MS-Dos 6.22 running in VMware. Got my cd-rom and mouse working. But when I try to install my sound drivers this happens:

https://home.wanadoo.nl/htemr/images/memory.jpg

I already tried memmaker. Isn't there a way of increasing your "convential" memory with VMware?

Running UFO without sound also crashes my virtual pc. Might also be memory related.

*Puts on 'expert' hat as he once typed in a command in DOS :D* Basically this is Bill Gates saying **** off any one that wants to play games on my computers!. He design MS-DOS to use only 640K of conventional memory. Sadly, the only way to stop this is to remove programs and drivers running in the background (unless there is a new way).

For this you will need:

Some old fashioned DOS CD drivers

Mouse.com (the only mouse driver I ever needed)

Soundcard drivers... Which will be the problem I suspect.

The first two aren't too important and even new ones shouldn't take up memory too bad... Soundcards are a different mammal and need care. If you're card can emulate SB-16 sound, use it. Install SB-16 DOS drivers into the virtual PC's boot up. I'll try and dig out an original copy of them from my many old files on floppy disk ;).

Other than those three things you need nothing I can remember. With these I had 486's running UFO like a dream and I'll try and find the original config.sys and autoexec.bat files I used (They'll have all you need) as well as my old drivers. Using the bare minimum like that should allow the thing to run no trouble... Now where did I put those floppies...

P.S. Sorry if you have tried all of this or its gone over your head, I don't know how much people around here know about DOS and 'the olden days' so I'm sorry to cause any offence. :) I'll put up another post as soon as I find my old stuff that should be able to help you.

The only programmes I got running are my cd-rom and mouse drivers. I used the origional mouse.com which I had on some old disk but the cd-rom drivers are pretty new. I downloaded them for my cd-writer might take up less memory if I try to get some for my other cd-rom drive. The problem is, I can't find any.

The Sound Blaster 16/AWE for DOS/Windows 3.1 drivers I downloaded were the only ones I could find on the creative labs site. That were the ones who gave the error :D

I have a Creative labs Soundblaster Live, I think it can emulate a SB16

Try putting this:

In config.sys:

device=c:\dos\emm386.exe noems

In autoexec.bat

lh mscdex /..... (cdrom load line)

lh mouse (mouse load line)

lh audio .... (sound card load line)

And remember, no matter which soundcard do you have VMWare emulates a SB16, so you have to install a SB16 driver :D

I think that the Win 3.11/Dos drivers aren't. I think they actually need Win 3.11! Lying gits! :D

Anyhow, I'm not sure how you could have insufficient memory if you're only running Mouse and CD drivers.... A mystery indeed. In the systems.ini file add this line. It might work, you never know ;)

DOS=HIGH

It loads Dos into the proper style memory instead of the precious 640K stuff. As I say, it may not do anything major, but it must be worth a try. :)

I've installed my SB16 sounddrivers after disabeling everything because it didn't work with toghether with my cd-rom drivers.

Now I still have some trouble. The autodetected configuration of my sound card seems to have failed.

My autoexec now looks like this:

C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

SET SOUND=C:\SB16

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E

C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S

C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /M:12 /v

C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X

@ECHO OFF

PROMPT $p$g

PATH C:\DOS

SET TEMP=C:\DOS

MODE CON CODEPAGE PREPARE=((850) C:\DOS\EGA.CPI)

MODE CON CODEPAGE SELECT=850

C:\ROM\DOSIDLE.EXE

C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.COM

C:\NC\NC.EXE

After this command: C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S this error appears:

error dign8002 the blaster environment settings are invalid

The emm386 command gives the following error:

invalid parameter - noems

The device=c:\dos\emm386.exe noems line gave the "not found" error. So I changed it into C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

I'm kinda stuck again :hmmm:

Just posting my config.sys 2 in case ne1 sees errors in it:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS

BUFFERS=15,0

REM ** FILES=30

DOS=UMB

LASTDRIVE=E

FCBS=4,0

DEVICEHIGH /L:2,12048 =C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE

DOS=HIGH

COUNTRY=031,850,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS

DEVICE=C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)

DEVICE=C:\DEV\ATAPI_CD.SYS /D:MSCD000 /I:0

FILES=40

lol I just see Chrysalid has posted while I reviewed my post. I'll try that one now :D

I have given up. Just heard I will have a new comp in two weeks or so and this one will be dismantled and salvaged :D. I will install win xp on my new comp and then create a virtual machine with win 98. It should easily be able to run both of them at one time. This one might be able to do that to but I'm a bit short on disk space.