251 replies to this topic

#241 foxhound525

foxhound525

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:13 AM

well i have looked into it and i think atari have no plans whatsoever of reviving the x-com series. however, i think when it comes to thier attention that fans want x-com so much that we make our own version, atari will open thier eyes and acknowledge the demand. at worst they will negotiate a deal where the project will be handed over to them or we will conform to changing it so no legal issues remain. but atari WILL eventually notice but how they deal with the situation could be in our benifit or destroy the main aim of our project, to produce an authentic x-com game. so i think before we let it come to that, in the late stages of the game making process, we should take it upon ourselves to contact atari before they contact us.
Fire a Blaster round into an open UFO, you gotta lot of dead bugs.

#242 AlanatXcomHQ

AlanatXcomHQ

Sergeant

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

Absolutely agree with you on the Atari issue, we should definately have a chat with them. But that means we have to be as a team, with a team name and a representative/s who will speak on the behaf of all of the team and to chat with them regulary.

My personal opinion would be to have us being credited as the development, build, FAQ, playtesting and music team, (basically the people who made the game) whilst Atari can handle the publishing and  distribution (With our collaboration on distribution)

However, if Atari accept, they may decide to give us an impossible time to finish it. Which means we have to work like crazy during this summer to get as much done as we can do.

We'll just have to wait and see.
X-com slogans, gained by http://www.thesurrealist.co.uk/slogan.cgi?word=X-com. Find all 503 slogans.
The most true slogan for X-com:
I liked X-com so much, I bought the company!
The Slogan for Project Colonisation:
Not Just Nearly X-Com, But Really X-Com.

#243 Lincolns Mullet

Lincolns Mullet

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:16 PM

Be wary of publishers.  They are like hawks after delicious eggs.  If this team were to be picked up by Atari, for example, a contract would be signed that would likely go like this:  You have one year to complete the project.  We get 60% of the profits (or more) and you'll be funded with $400,000.  You will be required to meet milestones each month (likely, per week).  If you don't meet them to our standards, we'll rip the rug out from under you at any time and hand it over to another team to finish.  Have a good day. :)

However, the more complete this game is before officially showing it off, the better.  If you can create a working, fun demo to show off to Atari it may pay off.  Or they may wave a legal wand at you and try to claim it is their property, I don't know.  If you were to switch gears and make it a non X-com game, you could shop the demo out to any publisher and see who bites.

Since it's running off the X-Com franchise, your first and only customer needs to be Atari.  If they aren't interested, then you'll have to switch it over to an original IP so you can do what you want with it (make it free or publish it).  It'd be great if Atari would be interested but I'm really unclear about fans creating games with an IP that is already copyrighted, and then shopping it to the owner of the IP.  Atari may look at it and say, "Hey, looks great and they've already done a lot of the work, let's give them a contract."  The thing with publishers is, if there is money to be made, they'll pay attention. :)

#244 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:36 AM

Or maybe a different game with an X-com mod pack or something.
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

#245 Lincolns Mullet

Lincolns Mullet

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:32 AM

This reminds me of the recent attempt at modding Warcraft III to be a new Starcraft.  I will point you to the modders website so you can all read some of the discussion on the front page regarding the mod, how they believe they are skirting IP laws, and Blizzard's stance on the project.

http://www.blizzplan...om/content/560/

What I gathered from the site is, if a "prequel" to X-Com was made, it would be violating IP laws.  It wouldn't be any different than titling it "X-Com 4" or something.  Since Atari owns the IP, they could technically send the team a Cease and Desist order if they really wanted to protect their IP.

One way they believe to be skirting IP laws is by requiring the original Warcraft III disks in order to play this "mod".  Since X-Com is so old I'm not sure how that would work for this project.

In any case, just some more info to chew on.  They seem to be going forward with it until, and IF, Blizzard tells them to stop.  Colonisation could conceivably move forward in the same fashion, and would need to be released as a free game.

#246 foxhound525

foxhound525

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

lets get on the ball now. a team name and someone with good persuasive skills and a lot of time on thier hands for our representive. we need to get practicle now. and we really need to get a QUALITY demo not rushed to give atari a nudge in the right direction. we also need to sort out a permanent communication stream instead of emialing things to each other at random. maybe all development once every month would be collected by one person and all compiled into our demo. so far what system specs does our thing need? and does it use a certain graphics engine. lets start thinking seriously and start being a proper DEVELOPMENT TEAM.

#247 AlanatXcomHQ

AlanatXcomHQ

Sergeant

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:45 PM

One way they believe to be skirting IP laws is by requiring the original Warcraft III disks in order to play this "mod". Since X-Com is so old I'm not sure how that would work for this project.

Well concerning that, there is the Original Dos version that came on floppy and CD, not to mention the CE edition versions of the game. So they could.

But I think seriously that Colonisation will have to be put on a DVD disc or at least a BitTorrent. Because the way its looking in terms of graphics and audio and such. It might very well be at least the size of UFO Aftershock. And that game is 4GB in size.

As far as demos are concerned. Our current release only does a single battlescape mission. There isn't a Geoscope attached yet. Its purely battlescape. This could be a "Demo" if you will. But we still need to work on it. Stuff like models for humans and aliens and stuff like that.

If you sign up to the sight and get Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 and download the release, you can download the latest version of the project. Stuff like documents and images and models and such. Ask Bulma about what you need for it all. But be aware that it is for Windows only. We haven't worked out on how to get our game for Multiple OS's. Yet.

Anyway, I think Bulma and Veteren will definately have to have their say on the matter before we charge headlong.
X-com slogans, gained by http://www.thesurrealist.co.uk/slogan.cgi?word=X-com. Find all 503 slogans.

#248 foxhound525

foxhound525

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:59 AM

well maybe the game should be made on windows only for now and when we make some progress we can think of making it compatible for macs etc.

#249 AlanatXcomHQ

AlanatXcomHQ

Sergeant

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

Although I would go along with that, Jman4117 himself uses a different OS then Windows. Thats why I presented the option to make the game and project itself compatible to Multiple OS's.

#250 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:44 PM

Good grief have I really been gone that long!?

Right everybody settle down and sit up straight, there are quite a few points to bring into the equation here before people decide what x=!

Atari basically has no idea of what we're trying to do and lets be honest they do't really care. Way I see it, for now at least, is what they don't know can't hurt them!

In the long run yes it could be a copyright and ownership issue but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Any team of professionals could achieve what we have so far in a matter of weeks if not sooner! They won't want anything to do with what we have at this stage which means no legal action, no contract and no financial aid.

Put simply they're going to want nothing to do with us...

Now the point is, once we have a final version of the game, completed to the best abilities of all of us here working on it, they might be interested... But who says we have to present it to them as an XCom title which, if interested, they could seize on site? Why not name it 'Colony Wars' or 'Martian Conflict' or something else completely obscure. Rename Sectoids to Greys and all of the other aliens (save Ethereals which is a dictionary term for otherworldly and therefore not copyrightable) are different to the originals anyway!

We show them this game and its fairly obviously a fanmade prequel but legally they wouldn't have a leg to stand on as it doesn't once reference any of the previously released games. Now at this point it's very easy to show them what we have and ask if they'd be interested in funding us enough to make it into a new XCom game, really what it already is.

Now, worst case scenario they say no. Big deal. Try and sell it, if we can't we change the name back to XCom, take our names off the credits and spread it as far and wide over the world wide web as we possibly can!

I think we all know it would take an impossible collaboration to control whats available on the internet and where it came from... Mission accomplished!

However, we may get lucky and they might say yes. Whoop-di-do, five minutes changing the names back to what they originally were, splash half the budget on a professional team to redo textures, clipping and code checks. Split the rest between the people who have made it what it is and take whatever percentage of the sales we're offered. What's easier than that?

Nobody gets sued, we have a new XCom and I get to put a manager in this place and take a holiday in the Bahamas.

Super!
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#251 AlanatXcomHQ

AlanatXcomHQ

Sergeant

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

ROLL CALL!!!!!!

Hey there, I know its been a LONG time since anyone has actually updated the Colonisation section of the forum and I know we were suppose to have done a lot of work. But its been nearly a year (or over a year in most cases) since the threads in our section were updated. So I want everyone to let me know what they've been up to and anything project wise that they have created.

To let everyone know what I'm currently doing. I'm in the 2nd year of University and its really busy. But I'm getting some good experience with 3D Studio Max 9, a good 3D model creation tool. As well as tuning my usual drawing and Flash skills. Not to mention I've been having experience with Hammer, a level creation program with Source SDK used to make Half-Life 2 levels.

So lets make some noise and get Colonisation back ONLINE!!! ASAP!!!!

#252 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Here I am again updating what will quickly become the most important topic here on StrategyCore!

With the team now back on track we've been really working hard to complete some essential yet rather boring paperwork and documentation to allow the project to move forward and do so smoothly. Over the last fortnight however we've had a very unfortunate development which saw our Lead Developer leave us. I must stress however that it is not unfortunate for him as he has left us to begin a new job with better pay! It also has a pretty mean commute though so on top of his 16 hour day he has reluctantly taken a back seat for the time being.

This leaves our development team in quite a bind and of course no amount of designers can create a game on their own no matter how comitted they are, unless of course we happen to be talking d20 which I can clear up right now we are not...

And so in our current situation we have a team of designers who are even now continuing to do their thing, a number of artists both 2D and 3D and a sound crew who are eagerly waiting to be called in from the wings. Our development team however is practically non-existant and based on the absense of our lead and the code we were programming in being very much his forte I'm hoping now to create a new team before selecting a more commonly used language and starting from a free engine with accesible libraries to give our team an easier job this time round.

Ultimately we're looking for as many good men as we can find but a team of only 4 committed developers will be enough to get the actual programming back on track. I'm posting his here as one of several calls for help but there really can never be too many developers for the amount of work we have in front of us.

So please if you have any sort of coding experience, no matter how much or how little, send me an email or a pm or knock on my door, I'll be here waiting and there's not much else I can do but wait until I have this team back together!

This is about creating the next chapter and it won't write itself so please join the team and make it happen!
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users