XCom 6 is recruiting

The Veteran

I have also uploaded Release v0.48I, try it out. I have included latest mdx and unmanaged d3dx dll so you should be able to run it even with older versions od directx/mdx.

You`ll still require:

DirectX 9.0c

Managed Directx 1.1

.NET framework 2.0

We also need someone to fill first page of project on codeplex. It`s a wiki base page, can have multiple pages, pictures, etc... We could put some stuff we had on our old web page...

https://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=Xcom

I`ll remove discusion board on codeplex, but we need to put link to STC here...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still need 2D and 3D artists?

The 3D part, i only use wings, is that usable?

im a bitt slow with my work, but i have the time and you will gett it.

some of my work is at ajikan.deviantart.com

but thats only a small part of what i do, and i have a scanner.

my msn/e-mail is Kung-fu_generation@hotmail.com

Hey, we certainly do still need artists and another one would be more than welcome! I think Wings could probably be integrated into the battlescape Bulma can say yay or nay when he sees the query on here himself! Regardless though we can always use some 3D work for loading screens, UFOpedias and all sorts of other aspects of the game. Let me know what level of involvement you'd like if you're interested in joining us and I'll think up a project for you. I believe I may already have one if you're interested!

i like to be a part :) give me a job and ill try my best to do it.

always loved x-com, and would like to help.

if you want concept art done now, i can start this moment.

if you want a 3D modell, i can do that to, but i have never tried to make a humanoid or animal model before.

well. i can startout making some concept work, and if you like it, i can try and make some 3d models or even more concept.

but ill need to know what you need, and some tips on what feel/mood you want would be nice

Ok that sounds great! Welcome to the team! Firstly just tell us what you feel you're best at, what and how you find easier to draw, paint, whatever it is you do. Also what programs do you use? Maybe when Alan is in here next he can tell you what he uses, I'm no artist I don't know! But we're doing most of the final concepts to a kind of Flash standard like those in the interview.

Another point worth noting is that we need those concepts finalising 100% too. The pictures are finished and that's how they will end up looking but they need to be given more depth and detail, ideally printed off large, finished by hand to a good quality and then say scanned back on. Of course we need initial concepts too which are just pen or pencil sketches or anything really! However you're happy to work.

It isn't just things like aliens and guns we need doing, we also need a good texture worked on for the Geoscape based on what I've already produced and we need a lot of loading screens and background screens. If you'd like some 3D work then we have a lot of furniture we need so maybe you'd be more comfortable with something like that than animals and people?

Just let me know what kind of thing you'd like to be started off with and I'll find you something! Look forward to hearing!

To Ajikan: Welcome to the team! I would also like to hear as to what you would like to draw. As me and Danial are working away.

As Vet says, I'm here to tell you what programs I use. Well, I tend to use Flash MX for anything more then pencil sketches. I know there is a more powerful version called Flash 8. But, as I found out, Flash 8 needs to be bought online. (So I tend to stick with Flash MX)

If you want me to give you a quick tutorial of how I use the program. I'll see about making it.

If you really want to go into 3D, go ask Jman4117, he's done some 3D work and you can find his posts in the eariler pages of this thread.

Note to Vet: PM me ASAP. I would like to have a quick check-up on how the project is going.

im ok with armors and guns (drawing). i know how to use flash, but i dont like it. ive gott a wacom (sketch pad for the computer) so i mainly use PS and the like. is it ok if i use ps instead of flash, never liked the empty feel of vektor (?) or how its spelled.

and i would like making 3D models of furniture, just started out using wings again, so itll be maybe a week before im comfertable with what i can do, and the speed.

i really like the quick idea stages, i sketch something really fast, pass it on to you guys, gett inputt, remake it, and so on until ive gott something we are all happy with. just bought some new markers today, so ill make some concepts and see if i can gett any pre x-com feel (dont really know how that looks).

would like to see the work youve done so far, add me on msn, its the easyest way to reach me

Sounds great, PS is fine for concepts at least and we'll see where that takes us...

quick concept sketches are always the starting point as I'm sure Alan will tell you. They then get shuffled back and forth, mostly to myself but sometimes between other artists on the project as well...

Furniture would be a great place for you to start and I can knock up a list of what we need in minutes but it'll have to be a little later as I need to go to work like five minutes ago!

What can I say, I'm getting over excited :)

I'll add you to my msn later, look out for pantlessavenger@hotmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/jman4117/3D%20Models/XcomDotNet/Sectopod/SectoHum05.png

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/jman4117/3D%20Models/XcomDotNet/Sectopod/SectoHum06.png

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/jman4117/3D%20Models/XcomDotNet/Sectopod/SectoHum07.png

HARHARHAR!!!

Good show Jman, its nice to know people have still been working on this thing while I've been away! I'm busy with a lot of things at the mo so haven't been able to give much input or feedback, sorry guys! Things are going to get a little worse before they get better but I'll keep poking my nose in and I'm still checking my emails even if I don't get a chance to reply all the time!

Do you all still need a website? I have one I was using to host Forums and pics/Videos from Iraq.

But, after I returned home, people stopped visiting it. I'm paying a $100 bucks a year for it so.. <shrugs> I could let ya' all use it since it's just sitting there using up server space. I'll keep up the payments cause I may want it way down in the future and don't want to loose my Addy.

So.. it's there if ya'll need it for a year or three.

We'll not discuss too deeply the origins of the Sectopod thanks very much :D It does look very human but we are dealing with a very strange mixture of human alien technology and life in this game as it's very much a genesis of what we see in the future games. There will be several versions of the sectopod, at least two anyway and I imagine three if I get my own way... The model Jma is working on now is the first model of walker, a prototype if you like...

Boz, thanks very much for the offer, it's very generous! I'll need to track down Neo to see if we need a new site though as I'm not to good with that side of the project. I know we have our codeplex site now which hosts files and forums but it would certainly be a bonus to have another site that's not restricted by microsoft guidelines... We al know how much of a mess they made with windows after all :)

hi im chris and i have been rooting around for years trying to find people to start producing a new x-com game. i had no idea about this project and am massivly overjoyed to hear were finnaly doin wot needs to be done. i must ask you include a few things in the new x-com game. first i think that the whole world agrees with me when they say dont rush it to get it out soon, like microprose did with apocalypse but take time to make an extremely deep intense story. i must ask for thier to be some of the things they failed to put in on apocalypse. not as a first priority but at some point i think it would be useful to have a human interrogation and holdin cell in the base. this could be used to capture corrupt leaders who lets say, may have something to do with y the aliens are so interested in earth. i think it would be useful to introduce. i also think there should be a wider difficulty variation. to this day i have all the x-com games exept enforcer, and the only one i could ever complete was intercepter despite the fact i really have tried to complete the others different

difficulty settings

would be nice. i also ask 4 a way 2 counter mind control and that troops arent so easy to kill.

but most of all i say a very deep intriuging story line would be most important.

i wish you all good luck and if there is any way i can help procedures (and i mean litteraly any thing!) i would be hounered to do it. write bak soon

from chris

Dear chris. Thank you for your interest in our Project. I'm sure Tim (The Veteren) will talk to you regarding involvment in the project.

First of all, we are all X-com fans in this project, we know the best and worst bits of the series as a whole, we've played it. And as most of us are gamers, we know what we want in gameplay.

Secondly, part of what you are asking of us, seems to be with the assumption of the game we are making being a sequel. It's not. It's a prequel. It's set, (Chronologically) before the first game. (By about 65 million years.)

Also, I would advise you to check out these links as it would probably help in your understanding of the project.

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/pg/colonisation (Recent article about the game.)

https://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=Xcom (Codeplex site. Where early demo releases of the game and discussions and such go on within the team.)

If you are really wanting to be in the project. Find the MSN Contacts of myself, Veteren, Bulma, Jman4117 and Danial so that you can talk to us anytime.

Veteren at the moment is very busy with life, so his say on your involvment might be slow to reply.

Hey I'm back! Only for a short while as always but I'll certainly be hanging around long enough to answer any questions people may have!

Thanks for holding the fort Alan, I'd hate to think of interested parties feeling ignored!

And Chris thanks for your support and input, we're currently working very hard to get a working bug-free demo, mostly focussing on the battlescape at the moment. The Geoscape is also in its early stages and a working demo can be downloaded from this site's files section. We're also working on a bug free working demo of that part of the game.

At present the finer intricacies of the game are mostly found on paper or in heads! We have a very good idea of where the game will take the player, how it will progress as the storyline develops and what a lot of the games content will be.

While we're working on the basic mechanics of the game though these things remain very much concept work, in the form of both documentation and visual illustration. Alan himself is our lead 2D artist and Jman is heading up our 3D design.

If you have any skills you can put towards helping our project grow then please let us know and I'm sure we can find a place for you on the team.

Thanks again for your interest and I look forward to hearing from you again!

oh kk i seen da web site bout the project. sounds great. i think wot ure doin is fantastic and if the veteran could involve me i would b hounored.i cant belive this is actually being done !!! i have been waiting for years!! but the work and the hard bits still need to be done. so its all legal bout the name xcom? and u didnt have to buy it from atari did u??

Well we're not quite sure how legal it all is at the moment but we certainly haven't been accosted for it yet! Point is we aren't going to exactly make our millions off this, its a fan game not for sale!

Like you said though there is certainly a lot still to be done, we're not even a fraction of the way to making this dream a reality.

Anything you can contribute would be very much appreciated so if you're interested I'd be happy to welcome you aboard! Let me know what kind of things you can do and we'll go from there!