Sound errors

Petas

I run Windows 98 2nd Edition...what happens is that the game runs fine so far (cityscape/bases are good) but the problem is, there's a constant looping static sound going on...

My sound card is a Yamaha DS-XG 4.05.1024, if that helps (or at least that's what it says in control panel)...I'm not sure if that's the kind of sound card info you would need to help this problem, if not please tell me how to get this data...(I really want to play this game).

Or you could point me to a link that has software that I can download to fix it...if any..

Other system specs...

Pentium 3

550 Mhz

NVidia TNT2 Video

Sounds like a sound card specific issue.

The sound card on my old P-133 has a sort of low looping clicking sound whenever I play the UFO for MSDos's introduction bit on it, but it goes away for other dos games like Apocalypse or Ultima Underworld.

On my laptop, games using DirectX like JA2 generally make a sort of brief echoey clicking sound every so often. Sometimes, something happens and it turns into a continuous and really loud whine that will not stop, even after quitting the game. The only way I can get around it is to reboot the computer.

You might try getting the latest device drivers for your soundcard and see if that fixes the problem. Or you could get a new soundcard and replace your card, or maybe even install it as a secondary card if it's possible on your machine.

Alternately, you could try messing about with the the soundcard settings and find one that's compatible with your card. Say, if you've got the drivers set to a 16-bit card, perhaps trying an 8-bit setting could help (for example, Soundblaster instead of Soundblaster Pro, mono instead of stereo, or whatever the installer presents you with)

- NKF

If you're talking about the setup program, I use the Autodetect settings...which are:

Soundblaster Pro

Port 220

IRQ 5

DMA 1

Apparently, I can't hear anything else besides static; I've tried the sound tests in the Options menu, and those do nothing.

I'll try to mess around with the setup program's settings, then if that doesn't work I'll try to get the latest drivers..

Okay, I've downloaded the newest sound drivers for my card. Apparently everything works in Winamp (MP3, Wav, MID...all the important ones), and the static in Apocalypse is gone, but has instead been replaced by a looping click...I think I've read somewhere about this but I think it may have been for XP or something...

Also take a look on the soundcard configuration in Windows...

To do that you have to go to the device manager, you can go there by going to Control Panel->System->Hardware (this one only on win2k/XP)->Device Manager and there check your multimedia devices... if they match the autodetect settings try to override the soundcard configuration in the device manager.

Ok..I tried all that, and I'm still getting the same thing in the setup; when I try sound test it either gives me a long beeping sound, or nothing at all..in both cases the setup freezes and I have to alt+tab out and back in the program to unfreeze it...

I probably should have told you that sooner... :D Sorry.

I cannot do what you suggested, Photon. For some reason, when I choose Start > Shutdown > Restart in MS-DOS mode, the screen becomes black but the prompt does not appear.

However, while I was fiddling around with the settings in Control Panel, I check-marked a setting called "Do not map through this device". After restarting the computer, the sound (wavs, mp3s, and other waveform files) did not work but MIDI did. I still get the same beeping sound in Setup's sound test, but the sounds in Apocalypse work fine now...:D

Quite peculiar indeed...If I really wanted to, I guess I could just restart my computer every time I wanted to play or quit playing Apocalypse...but there has to be some other way.

I'll fiddle around a bit more with the control panel settings, and get back to you when I find something ..............

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon. Although when I change the settings in Control Panel it tells me I have to restart my computer for it to take effect...It lies. So I guess I'll be fine for now. Thanks for all the support..

Unfortunately, I cannot. This should have been in the Support forum to be begin with, because as you may have noticed, my mod powers don't extend to the gaming areas of the site. ;) Ahh, wishing for the good old days already... hahah. :D

I'm PMing Pete to move it now.