Fan weapons...

The Veteran

Ever been playing an XCom game and thought 'hmm I wish I could kill that sectoid with a waffle iron'? Then get in here and tell us how the waffle iron works!

Sectoid, human and aquatoid race weapons. What would you like to see if there's a new game?

a "fan weapon" would be nice, not too effective though, short range and all.

I'd like to see an ion cannon, somewhat like in the c&c ion cannon, fired from a satellite. See that suspicious looking tree there? I bet there are 10 sectoids behind it. Throw an ion homing beacon at it, WOOSH, tree? where?

Ok I know a grenade would do the same thing but this looks a bit more spectacular. On the downside, nothing left to do an autopsy on.

I'd like to see an energy weapon with modifiable settings. With this, you can control how badly you harm your enemies, so you can choose to either cripple (to disable an enemy for capture) or kill your enemies. For example, changing the tightness of the beam in a laser weapon to a very fine point that can burn right through most things, or widening the beam to hit a larger area for less damage, possibly setting fire to easily combustible materials. Another example would be a lightning-gun. It could be used to stun enemies with mild electric bolts (ala the stun-grapple) (or cause EMP disruptions to electronics). Or if you push up the charge, it'll fry most things into a crisp. Energy weapons should also be able to overload their charges -- followed shortly by very nasty accidents if things go awry. :(

A modular weapon that can have multiple add-ons plugged in would also be nice. Look at the sonic weapons in TFTD. They all look like the same gun, but with a few attachments bolted on to change the function of the weapon slightly.

- NKF

I think a weapon DESIGN system. I'm very much with NKF on versatility.

My ideal would be the ability to put together a weapon with a variety of parts from 'scratch', like you put on a grip and a foregrip, making the weapon two handed, but no shoulder stock, so it's fired differently, say.

You research weapon 'technologies', so you could put either a bullet firing mechanism on that with a barrel of your choice for a variety of stat effects, or, whatever, y'know?

I'm seeing a drag and drop type interface for it.

One of my fav standard issue Weapons from UFO:EU was the standard-issue Rifle. It had a neat design (even though those types of weapons are usually obsolete after 2days ingame, hehe).

Variety is the key for new weapons =) The question is, are why in the Apoc or Ufo timeline? ^^

Speaking of bullets and laser, I find the "shots" should be more "beam-like" (when it comes to bullets) and they should have a more instantaenously speed.

My other wish (if we were still in the Ufo-Timeline), adding the standard weaponary stuff we all know from our times from weapon markets =) ( You know, the typical AK47/74 , M16 and so)Lets say they're cheap and weaker than those researched from X-Com.

(If typo-mistakes were found, send them to microsoft@mircosoft.com and give them it to them :( )

this is a list of ideas that me and vet have conceieved over lots of discussion of what would be in a new xcom game

(=)researches into this item or whatever

basic weapons:

Pistol = either an MP or hi-cap pistol, minimum accessories

Machine pistol = a burst/full auto side arm for either special units or as a light assault weapon

shotgun = excellent close quarters weapon, useless ranged weapon

Rifle = semi auto Sniper rifle, or accessorize rifle

Assault rifle = just an unmodifiable auto rifle, no accessories

sniper rifle = comes from rifle, minimum accessories

SAW = a light squad automatic weapon with high rate of fire and large mag, no accessories

rocket launcher = its just here

minigun = heavy weapon, prone to over heating but has high rof and low accuracy and power

grenades:

He grenade = basic explosive grenade

smoke grenade = a smoke grenade

stun grenade = ???? hehe

incinerary grenade = fire starter

flash bang = blinding grenade (effects anyone/thing who is not in cover)

high explosive = a set charge with either timer or remote, not very throwable

flare = a lighting device for night combat

accessories:

laser sight = just adds a little bit of accuracy to the weapon its mounted on

30mm red dot = quick target aquirement, reduces aimed and snap shot tu's by 10%

bipod = adds stability for the sniper or rifle for better accuracy over ranged or burst targets

4x scope = good medium ranged scope for either sniper or rifle

12x scope = long range scope for sniper or rifle.....accuracy drops extremely when targets are to close

40mm m/203 = grenade launcher for rifle

master key = underlying 4+1 shotgun for rifle

are these cool concepts, or is there not enough stuff to go around?

@Skonar, i like that idea as well! hehe it would be cool to create your own weapon and use it in combat..................oh wait..........i do that already

:(

Designing weapons would be the best :( remembers me about designing ships in Master of Orion 1, two and *urgh* three ^^

I'd also say that those weapons that use bipods/or are heavy can only be used proned- or else super sucky accuracy. ^^

One thing which would also be great would be if the agents would no longer be "nameless cannonfodder" ppl.

One old game from Microprose, called "Squad Leader"(me thinks) was a turned-based WorldWarII game. One of fun parts of the game was arming the soldiers, because most of them had different attributes and a background (you know- the "wheredaya come from, my son")

Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 and ShadowCompany did great work at this point ;D

Groovie :(

Groovie :(

Laser should have a battery and variable power. (ex. stun, low, medium, high, really high, and overload). Either have laser that has a recharge rate or a limited amount of power (shots vs power level).

Perhaps do the same with other energy weapons.

Shotgun would be good. But how would you implement it? Several pellets with individual trajectories or figure it as one mass that is garraunteed a hit at say 5 meters but wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a barn at 100 meters.

MP/Sub-machine gun might be the final level of pistol developement.

Rifles should have different sized clips. Maybe a 30, a 75, and a 100 (Research upgrades of course). And have standard ball and AP ammo. HE and I would be pushing it though. :(

Heavy weapons: A minigun and a sniper rifle would be a must. Maybe have a SAW and a grenade launcher also. SAW and minigun should have over heating problems forcing you to stop firing after prolonged fire (sorta like the laser recharge thing I mentioned earlier). But you could probably still shoot it at the risk of destroying the gun or causing personal injury (exploding guns or burnt hands :( ). Grenade launcher should fire in an arc, not a flat trajectory.

The-super-gun-to-out-class-all-other-guns: Don't even think about it. :hmmm:

Not even if it's a HE/I minigun with fusion grenade launcher and guided missile launcher that fires at a meager 3000 rds per min. :devil:

well jman...............if the HE/I minigun with fusion grenade launcher and guided missile launcher that fires at a meager 3000 rds per min. has a bagel holder, a coffee machine, and a titanium toothpick (the clean wound type) the i believe that should be in the game!! well i think the shotgun should have like individual trajectories, that way there is a very small chance that one may hit a ranged target and a very high chance the close target will get f**ked up. also be useful for blowing down doors or walls, where as it can either shoot thru the walls with a better chance of hitting than a bullet would. the idea with the adjustable laser weapons and batteries is very nice indeed. also the over heating thing, it only makes perfect sense that a SAW weapon over heats so massively it can leave 3rd degree burns if your not careful, but most importantly it can affect the accuracy very much so and........if it gets hot enough fuse the weapon together (not joking about that). i was thinking about 3 types of ammunition, standard ball ammo, armor piercing, and an anti personel type that is like he but only it doesn't create an explosion......just shrapnalized real fast and creates nasty wounds. also the grenade launcher idea would be more interesting if where you aimed it wasn't the exact point of impact......somewhat like a mortar only grenade style....did u get that?

ok i'm done

The whole laser setting thing has already been discussed in a different forum I believed. It's a good idea and I'd like to see it. Overheating sounds pretty cool though. Munkey mentioned it a few days ago and the more I hear it the more I like it!

By the way. I've got something to show you Munkeylord and you will love it! :(

I'm seeing a drag and drop type interface for it.

Ha ha, I like that. I don't know why, it's just funny the way you said it so matter-of-factly. :(

But anyways, yes I agree with the laser battery thing. It is much more realistic to have a finite ammount of ammo, but be much more devastating. Also, the setting which increases the power (I guess sort of like phasers from Star Trek), but the weapon should have random chances to burn up or have some sort of meltdown. At low powers, this almost never happens. But say, if you beef up power to 100%, you have maybe a 50% chance for it to melt down. I think this is much more realistic than infinite ammo.

I think really serious events (like an energy weapon shorting or exploding) should occur if you overload the weapons beyond what they were built for. Mind, even at 100%, which is the upper limit the gun was built to handle, the gun should still be susceptible to overheating from constant use.

I'm getting the idea of a portable solar charger for anything that has a limited electrical charge, like lasers, portable batteries, scanners, and other energy based weapons. The solar collectors can be used to slowly 'regenerate' battery energy over the turns as long as they are deployed in a lighted area.

In reality, such a small solar energy collector probably wouldn't provide enough electricity for such high drain devices like a laser gun, but hey, this is science fiction. We make stuff up so easily. :(

It would also be an excuse for a near-infinite ammo supply, given the right conditions.

- NKF

Ah, a tech upgrade.

Install one in a power suit and draw power from the suit! The Interceptor method of being able to channel energy to and from guns, shields and engines was rather interesting. I wonder if--nah. End up turning into a mech or a walking power plant. You couldn't get anything done if all the squaddies decide to plug their portable ovens and toasters into you all the time! :(

- NKF

I see the lasers with say 30% stun, 60% injure, 90% paralyse, 100% kill. For those settings there probably wouldn't be much chance of overheating. Maybe evrytime it fires 100% charge it heats up 10%. But maybe the gun could have an uber setting. Crank it up to 150% for taking on the incredibly tough aliens. That'd go up about 50% though.

The Interceptor method of being able to channel energy to and from guns, shields and engines was rather interesting.

Interceptor did not come up with this idea. Really, the entire method of space combat was taken directly from the X-WING series. Dumping shields into laser, and vice versa has been around longer than interceptor. The only really new thing they implemented was the boost option, and, I suppose firing missiles without switching weapon modes.

True, true. I was just using it as a point of reference. I couldn't think of any other games at the time. :(

Still, I wonder how would it work in the form of a high-tech power suit?

- NKF

They should make an AW1 FPS type game. Then we can wear powersuits!

I was actually thinking of a game the other day... "X-COM: AGENTS"

You know the guys who somehow find those alien bases at the end of every month? You know, the cool looking badasses? You would get a chance to be one of them. Go around the world, doing cool secret missions for X-COM. You get cool gadgets and gizmos. Pretty much like James Bond, but you're not. You're cooler than James Bond.

Heh, I'd imagine You'd also be entrusted with ensuring the collection and the successful delivery of the suitcases full of money that X-Com gets every month. Can't just hand that sort of money over to anyone with an armoured car.

One other item I'd like to see would be a disposable shield of some sort. Not just a rechargeable energy shield that blocks everything for a short while ala Apocalypse's disrupter shields.

Something like riot shields, or a psionic shield (via the psi-amp), etc. Anything you can use to shield the civilians and your comrades during a heavy firefight.

How would it work? Well, I imagine just arming it in one of your hands would boost the soldier's front armour a bit. Deflecting or just plain blocking enemy shots would work in a similar fashion as reaction fire (i.e. spends TUs per block/deflection), only it kicks in when you are shot at or attacked physically during the enemy's turn. So if your active item at the end of the turn is a gun, you use reaction fire, but if it's the shield, you use your remaining TUs for defensive moves.

But to be fair, every time it absorbs an attack, it should decrease in effectiveness until it is destroyed. Can't have everyone arming their soldiers with shields and overruning the enemy all the time.

- NKF