Fan weapons...

The Veteran

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently it makes a "bloop" sound when you fire it. Witness Arnie giving the cops the good news with it in Terminator 2 (when he's shooting their cars up from the Cyberdyne building).

Not sure how the trajectory would work out though, it doesn't fire in a straight line. Hmm. Maybe just use it like a grenade....

Pyro-A flamethrower?

Yes please.

:devil:

• 2 months later...

Well some weapons i would'nt mind seeing.

1:A Heavy plasma cannon with blaster launcher add-on.Maximum damage and versatility is all i have to say about this weapon.

2:A Heavy Sonic Wave Cannon:IT launches a spreading wave of sonic energy in a 120 degree arc for like 10 squares.The ultimate in alien riot control.

3:Bouncy Alien Grenades and Pulsars.Whenever you throw them you can select a bouncy mode that causes them to bounce 3 times and land in a random place.Good you want to make around the corner shots.

4:Multi-Missile Launcher:Launches 4 missiles which can be any combination of incinidiary,high explosive or just plain vanilla.Not only that you can set the launcher to a drunken launch mode so that the missiles spread in a shotgun-like manner.Good for flushing out those chicken-shit aliens.

5:Psionic Blaster:Launches a guidable bolt of psionic energy that you can guide and explodes.Whatever is caught in the explosion is under the effects of a psionic attack of you,which can panic them,control them, or just paralyse them with fear.

6:Teleporting Vortex Mine:You throw the Vortex mine and it instantly teleports to the thrown destination.Comes with two modes:Proximity detonation or instant explosion.

7:Psi-Blade:Just a high tech handle that produces a blade made of the wielder's psionic might.THe blade pierces all shields and bodily protections and deals extreme damage.You may also activate the psionic control method which makes the Psi-Blade float and move on its own but to your will.Watch it soar down hallways and tear ethereals in half!

I happen to like the weapons that were in X-COM 1, but iIf the game was fully 3D, I'd like to see them have more of a physically realistic effect, such as grenades blowing the enemy across the road into a building or something with Half-Life 2 type rag-doll physics involved... Getting knocked back by a gunshot would also be a nice effect...

One other thing I think would be a nice touch is a 3D cinematic "hit" effect the likes on Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven where a successful hit would trigger an up-close-and-personal in-game cinematic of the effect...

• 1 month later...

I like NKF's full-length ballistic shield - definitely the first person to open the UFO door should have some shield, even if for game balance they have to be carrying it, leaving only one hand for weapons, and they can still get shot in the side or back. SWAT have them, right?

I reckon the Heavy Cannon _is_ a 'blooper' grenade launcher. Just call them 40mm shells. Fires straight over short distances. Change the graphic if desired.

Also I was thinking a flare gun - fast shot, incendiary, low damage; all it does is start a 1-square fire to replace the not-yet-invented electroflare. Even an electroflare launcher would ease the inventory woes.

And the Gatling Laser NKF uncovered in the unused data section of the game! That'll trim some hedges!

• 1 month later...

More browsing - two ideas that could be done with the existing weapons editor. Have to try these out (when I get my XCOM computer running again this fall)

1) AC-DU (depleted uranium) rounds. Enough damage to occasionally penetrate interior UFO walls, expensive as heck (like the AC itself), and finally a justification for showing MUTONS MOWED DOWN BY AUTOFIRE in the opening cinematic, and then going and making them AP-resistant in-game. A human-tech equivalent to Heavy Plasma.

2) Incendiary grenades. Good for starting patch-fires (the main use of my HC lately) and puts that finishing touch on the Chrysallid egg (over easy) if your soldier has a primed one and gets zombified.

• 3 weeks later...

The AC-DU would be a great idea. But can you imagine carrying around depleted uranium rounds? Better than AP, much better. But I think it would be better used on an HWP. Cause the present day SABOT rounds are on tanks. I doubt a person can fire something like that from a hand held weapon.

What I wanna see is some kind of super strong sniper gun like the M82AI. However something a little stronger so you can blow a hole through a sectopod. Awesome. Have an X-Com agent about a mile away blowing up UFO's and popping sectoids with his trusty X-Com Super-Sniper-Rifle. (Although it could use a better name. :P )

You can do the same thing with Rocket Launchers at the moment, but let's explore the idea -

Blue-1 Sniper lugs his weapon (AC or RL) to a nice high position

Blue-2 Support follows him up, groaning under the weight of extra ammo (DU rounds or rockets)

Blue-3 Spotter moves out into the interdicted zone. If he spots an alien or is shot at, he signals the Sniper who responds with aimed accurate and deadly fire.

Works best when there aren't all the trees and buildings in the way, of course. But try using these tactics with an RL in the game as it stands. (Heavy Rockets whenever possible, of course.)

• 4 weeks later...

I know what I`d like to see, underslung secoundary weapons

in the early stages you'd get grenade launchers, bayonet and shotgun, added onto your standard buy list and you could either buy them sepretly to the rifle or together. therefore later on when you develop laser/plasma rifles you could get your engineers to fit the grenade launcers to that (and sometimes seperate them out, when something becomes obserlete).

later on you develop new weapons like laser/plasma blasters and these are treated in the same respect

the advantage would be that in poor situations you could switch to your more powerful weapon, i.e. you fid yourself facing a cyberdisk and switch to your plasma blaster and hit it with that instead

the wepons I see are something like this

Early stage

grenade launchers, with both A.p. H.e. and smoke

bayonet, a short range electro stuner

shotgun, with standard and sabot rounds

later on

laser blaster, increadble power but only has hand full of shots

Plasma blaster, less powerfull but with more shots and an autoshoot ability

Alien grenade launchers, like the above but with alien grenades, stun bombs

the disadvantages Id give are the following

1, there less powerfull than there heavy weapon counterparts

2, they cannot be reloaded in the feild

3, they can only be fired in snapshot mode

4, they can only be fitted to rifles basic/laser/plasma

• 2 weeks later...

How about a "Universal Gun"? It would accept any type of ammunition from pistol clips to rockets, from plasma clips to blaster bombs. It just would be nice to pick up a gun and use any type of ammunition on hand without worrying if you have enough weapons and clips to equip everyone in your squad. It also helps to reduce problems associated with the 80 item limit.

I could also see this "gun" (I really prefer to call this weapon a launcher) firing off standard, proximity and alien grenades. Would be nice for soldiers with terrible throwing accuracy, or for those who are unable to throw long distances. As for the laser weapons... who knows. I hope it would be able to fire laser blasts with damage between the laser rifle and heavy laser.

Obviously, there has to be some downfalls to use this weapon. First it will only have auto and snap shot capabilities - no aimed shot! Auto shot accuracy has to be less than the average, so around 35% and snap shot around 60% - so like the normal X-COM rifle stats except for the aimed shot. Items such as blaster bombs, grenades, stun bombs and rockets can only use snap shot. Second, the weight of this weapon has to be high. I would say around 20 unloaded. Any heavier, and a normal soldier will have a tough time moving around! :P

• 1 month later...
I happen to like the weapons that were in X-COM 1, but iIf the game was fully 3D, I'd like to see them have more of a physically realistic effect, such as grenades blowing the enemy across the road into a building or something with Half-Life 2 type rag-doll physics involved... Getting knocked back by a gunshot would also be a nice effect...

One other thing I think would be a nice touch is a 3D cinematic "hit" effect the likes on Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven where a successful hit would trigger an up-close-and-personal in-game cinematic of the effect...

*sighs* This was my first ever post... How nostalgic :P

207 days I've been here, with an average of 1.6 posts per day... Wow, that's 6mths 3wks and 4days!! :(

Time really does fly when you're having fun :(

• 2 weeks later...

lol, you don't need to wait for HL2 for the physics, the Havok2 system is already a few years old and is used in Max Payne 2 and even Robot Arena. So there is nothing really new about the HL2 physics :P

I'll still always prefer a Doom3 version as it looks so much better for that kinda style of game, plus if HL2 is anything like HL1 i won't buy it

• 4 weeks later...