UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

How's this for plasma-gun technobabble?

"...the elerium is not only used to heat the material into a superheated plasma, but also creates a self-sustaining magnetogravitic field that contains the plasma, despite the immense electrostatic forces trying to break it apart, and also counteracts the buoyant forces caused by the Earth's gravity and atmosphere. The effectiveness of the antibuoyant gravitic effect can also be taken for account on the control here, next to the regional gravitic compensation-slash-adjustment control here. An interesting side effect of this..."

On the topic of the current mission... it's a human craft that's there, right? Like a helicopter or something? And are the "humans" (or maybe alien agents disguised as humans?) all in the UFO, only some in the UFO, or just about to leave? (All in the helicopter)

Also, does anyone have anything in particular in mind for the next bit of events (including Terrick 'losing' his laser pistol)? (I think I have an idea of what to do, actually.)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gather their craft is much like a skyranger. The humans are humans and look like humans, and it seems they are in the UFO.

I figured Terrick could fall through thin ice, and come up 'wondering' where the gun had gone. When squad gets back to base, he's spotted holding it.

Well, somebody (I forget who) decided that the terror mission was really a disguise for an infiltration mission, and currently some humans are meeting with the aliens because, uh... they're... not... nice?

Anyway, I think that Skyranger-like craft are rather expensive and conspicuous, though, aren't they? Sure, keeping the Skyranger-like crafte means that the humans meeting the aliens are really high up, but then it doesn't quite make sense for high-level americans to use a russian designed plane. I'm just saying that if it was me, I'd have made it a helicopter.

If it's still a ranger-like craft, though, I'll go with it. ;)

For the plan for Terrick losing it, that's pretty much what I had in mind, too. The problem would be luring him out onto the ice. How about the pilot of the human craft is waiting by his ride, and when he sees the squad (Terrick) he flees?

I can't throw in a post right now, but I'll try one soon.

There's snow everywhere. I don't mess around with snow much myself, but I figure it's possible that the ice could be covered with snow.

Thus far no one has had a 'good look' at the human craft. Could be anything. I figure the crew would be a few diplomatic types, wondering what the aliens can do for them, and a decent crew of armed bodyguards.

What we DO with them... uhm... ;)

Hrmm.... :thoughtful:

I think we should...

Build snowmen! ;)

As far as tasks for the current mission:

-Discover the human/alien collaboration

-Have Terrick "lose" his laser pistol

I just recently thought of a new idea... what if the team can't capture either the human craft or the alien craft? That would really throw a wrench in the works, eh?

Would it? I really had no idea what we'd do with them if we caught them. Give 'em back to their owning countries for some extra $$$ maybe, so we won't dob on them to the rest of the world?

If a craft does take off, it's got a couple of fighter jets to take care of.

• 2 weeks later...

We're not authorized to shoot or capture humans ("accidents" aside), only aliens; it would seem an obvious outcome is: the humans get away, XCOM shoot what aliens they can, but the soldiers learn only enough about their mission to start the rumors flying. The mission logs give Genega something serious to think about as far as conspiracy theories go.

By the way, I never said the traitors were foreign to the USA - they didn't necessarily fly all the way to America to land "secretly" near Washington DC... maybe they're businessmen

Well, I'd put something in the fanfic, but posting about X-Com's exploits through the UFO seems largely pointless. What is there to write about, mopping up the one or two aliens too wounded to defend the entrance? I've got an idea, though, of writing something about the other humans. Anyone have any requests? Just what the hell ARE these humans going to be doing, anyway?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, there you go. If even I posted, than anyone can.

Wow. I'm really interested in the direction you're suggesting here... any guidance to go with it? motives and intentions of these diplomats? One scenario that comes to mind is the alien 'diplomat' they were supposed to meet takes refuge with and/or psi-control of them, since XCOM are currently storming his ship.

This is a big event. It's been nearly two months now.  ;)

At two cents a word, how much does our monthly salary come to? :)

hi, New guy here. quick question- can I get in on this?

Yes, of course - I'd recommend reading the whole fic (because it's fun and will give you the flavor we're striving for) and some of this fic discussion (to see the participants, pet peeves, and intended directions). As a guideline you can feel free to break if required, write for other people's characters interacting rather than just your own. It's more difficult to get into but the fic holds together better.

JFG

sorry, didn't mean to cause alarm with that.

his height,weight and build are based on my own.

I'm 6'3", 16 stone ( ok, I pushed a little) and medium build. and not fat, bizarrely. I've had lots of people complain my weight must be wrong, but...

apparently it's all down to heavy bone structure and abnormally dense musculature ( I'm a lot stronger than I have any right to be, given my lack of visible muscle) according to the doctors, who have been tearing their hair out over my results.

somewhat annoyingly ( or fortunately, maybe) my weight and buld are fairly constant; I can't seem to get fat, but at the same time, I can't seem to bulk up, either, so no 'brick outhouse' for me...

he's not quite an exact translation, of course, but basing things on myself helps get the bare bones in place, and from there he can develop.

Wow. I'm really interested in the direction you're suggesting here... any guidance to go with it? motives and intentions of these diplomats? One scenario that comes to mind is the alien 'diplomat' they were supposed to meet takes refuge with and/or psi-control of them, since XCOM are currently storming his ship.

JFG

I dunno. Do any of us have plans for what the diplomats are going to be doing? I just figured they deserved a post.

But thinking about it...this could probably the first glimmerings of the "XYZ has signed a pact with the aliens and stops funding" situations. Bernard and the gang could be recurring characters! Or not. In any case, though, this is probably the birth of humans trying to cut deals witht he aliens.

As such, it's probably better if the aliens make no hostile actions. It would be entirely in character, and actually kinda odd for them not to attack on sight (at this point) but we must make care not to have the aliens scare anyone off. If the aliens psionically control or shoot the peaceful diplomats now, no one's going to deal with them. And that's going to leave a big chunk out of the fanfic.