UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

Ehh...

Could you maybe just reword it to be a morning meeting (10am?) and the spook-committee has the run of the base "for the rest of the day"? Recruitment interviews throughout the day? That way both you and the General will have had some sleep.

Also, I think the fic reads OK, but I felt a discrepancy between what the General would already know about alien hostility when he made his briefing speech and what he seems to learn from the briefing. Is he just playing his cards close to his chest? Love the impression the General makes on Pickering, though :)

Oh, and two square feet? That'll be hard to spot from the air ;)

Snikers, sorry, I just wanted to know if you had any intentions for your characters at this time before I started writing them into posts. Preferential squad positions, interactions, etc.

TFTD: Hi! Write a character into the Character forum and we'll write him/her in! How long do you want to be alive for?

:D

JG

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the General would already believe the aliebns to be hostile but he has no power to order a change of base operation. Therefore he waits to start training until he is absolutely sure that there WILL BE a change of operation. Now that there is so much evidence to say this will happen in the near future he is much more confident about beginning advanced training for his troops.

I'll have a look at the fic now and see if I can make it the morning but it means I'm going to have to delete a part of someone elses post...

Right after a little editing in the fic I've managed to make it a morning meeting but it's very early morning. (about 5am!) This is so that all of the soldiers are still sleeping. They'll be up at six I guess although the Commander may wake them sooner today for their briefing in which he'll tell them that they are starting their training today.

Bear in mind that they didn't know that JFish so I've had to take out the very last bit of your last post.

And Photon I read your post and edited it to read better as a story. It was in quite a script like format/. I've kept all of your story though and just bulked it out a little. Hope you don't mind! :D

Never mind, I have absolutely no experience with writing fics, so I never expected it to be perfect ;)

Any more suggestions are welcome :)

*goes to see the modified post*

EDIT: (After seeing the post)

You surely have more imagination than I do about writing fics :D

I'll try to take it as a guide, so I can post the briefing in a better way :) I'll post it in the weekend so I have more time :)

One thing though: I'd never read something secret while finding my room, supposedly it's for my eyes only :)

I thought about that but I wanted to keep everything you wrote without changing it a lot. In your version he went straight from being in the command centre to being in his room. It just seemed a bit off to miss a big chunk and then only write two lines before the end of the post so I edited it a little. Feel free to alter if you wish.

And don't worry about what you write. Just try and stick to quotations and 'said Joe Bloggs' rather than 'Joe bloggs:' if you follow me.

I'd say laser research is the logical first choice. After all that was what you were assigned for your knowledge of. Research can't start until the 1st of January though! And that can't happen until X-Inv becomes X-Com.

If you want an amusing background I had a random crazy thought yesterday that could be interesting. :D Just ask ;)

Thanks, Snik

Veteran, no probs on the meeting arrangement.

My view is:

On 1st Jan 1999, X-COM goes OPERATIONAL. That is, capable of responding to UFO sightings and landings. Aliens are presumed hostile, or at least cranky about being captured, but there's still a feeling they might be lightly armed research teams, rather than soldiers armed to the gills.

X-INV becomes a branch of X-COM.

For most of December 1998, X-COM has existed, but was busy preparing to go operational. X-INV continues to operate.

This is nearly the same thing as X-COM not existing, as far as the strategic game goes, but important for characters to know who they're working for; critically, there are no soldiers in X-INV.

We have soldiers:therefore those soldiers are in X-COM.

Thanks

JG

Yes but. X-COM won't technically exist until we fly our first mission with completely terran weaonry and get completely slaughtered. Then we'll be X-COM. Bear in mind that the soldiers at Pine Gap up until now have only had basic training. They are damn good but they haven't been training for long at all.

And sure thing Snikers. That's Rick. He doesn't have anything major against books but he doesn't think women should be employed in combattant positions. Plus he is British. I had to edit that post from whoever had him down as American :D The day I use an American character is the day the Cydonia mission is a complete failure.

Yo,

Sorry for being a little bit inactive alla passive lately... been VERY buse... about to move into another house, some school... work and other things...

But I'll try to keep up... That AI story will pop up some of these days and Slice fighting bots... you mean what?

Hey Vet,

I think we have a two Rick problem.

Green's roommate is "Ping" AKA Rick O. Chez. He's American, bigoted, sexist, and we can safely assume a short life expectancy. (2 or 3 missions tops, unless we get to like him as a character foil.) He's also in what he assumed was an American base.

Rick Carr, on the other hand, is a fine, upstanding British squaddie who couldn't put a foot wrong. I don't know who he's rooming with, but it ain't Green.

I'll sew Ping's flag back on if I get a chance, OK?

And let's not mention Worm's character name here, to save confusion.

Sorry to those Americans out there. Do we have any NICE but clearly American characters yet?

And sure thing Snikers. That's Rick. He doesn't have anything major against books but he doesn't think women should be employed in combattant positions. Plus he is British. I had to edit that post from whoever had him down as American :D The day I use an American character is the day the Cydonia mission is a complete failure.

Plus I wasn't aware that Ping thought Pine Gap was an american base as I didn't write it but it is an american base anyway surely... XCom is an American organisati0on after all. They probably bought the base off the Aussies...

Pay attention JFish! :hmmm:

It says in Ping's cjharacter profile that he is British as he came from the same background as Trigger who's also a Brit. Plus the fact that Ping is one of my two personal characters and a damn good soldier. He is NOT dying any time soon by my hand or anyone elses...

All that needs to be remembered about Ping is that he doesn't much like foreigners but that applies mostly to people he doesn't know. For example just because most of the guys at Pine gap are yanks that doesn't mean he hates them. It still means that he hates most americans but not the ones he knows. Unless given a reason of course...

Oops! :D My mistake, after re-reading Character Profiles Weekly. Didn't he use to be Ricky Carr at one point?

I've got some squad assignments to post, but I'll change them now. I'll invent some American to piss Green off instead, and remove the slur on Ping's character. Again, apologies, hope the next 'fic post makes up for it.

Oh, and on the subject of American content: The X-COM underground base is UN, but leased from the Americans for this project, like most of our equipment. (No idea how the Americans were convinced to admit this excavation even existed at Pine Gap.) Most of Pine Gap is still American radar base. Green's roomate missed that part of the briefing that mentioned UN control.

UN eh? Cool. And yeah he was Rick Carr but no more he is.

Definitely British though and he'll share in Green's dislike of most Americans in the base. Warlord he gets on ok with but that's pretty much it. He will never get on well with any of the female soldiers as... well they're female soldiers. Tammy he won't mind because she is noncombattant personnel but when she ever has to pull a sidearm in battle Rick will be quick to prevent her having to do so. (Not for her safety but for his you understand!)