1760 replies to this topic

#41 Warlord

Warlord

Angel of Death

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 08:47 PM

Post edited.  The only changes made were to update the commander's name as necessary.  Next time, try to fix errors like that in your own post a little bit quicker please. :D
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he pass'd;
And the eyes of the sleepers wax'd deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#42 Crazy Photon

Crazy Photon

Lobstermen for breakfast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 12:25 AM

Hush Photon! And you really should write in the fics when you get time. It's good to have as many people in on it as possible.

Maybe... but that won't be anytime soon I fear ;) I've been sleeping 3 hours on average on weekdays just to keep up with all the things I've got to do... and everything indicates it'll continue being like this  :D
Resistance is NEVER futile...

#43 Tammy

Tammy

Her Imperial Majesty

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 02:13 AM

I noticed you haven't been online much lately.  I hope things get better.  I've been kind of busy myself, but I do want to write some more in the fic.  I got a little lost there in those last few posts, so I'm not sure where to go with it.  I'm open to suggestions.  :D
Queen and huntress, chaste and fair,
Now the sun is laid to sleep,
Seated in thy silver chair,
State in wonted manner keep:
Hesperus entreats thy light,
Goddess excellently bright.

#44 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 02:02 PM

Well not much will happen now until we get our first UFO sighting and we have a while before that happens as XCom isn't even operational yet! Before then we have to deal with the delivery of a replacement Hurricane interceptor for Gia and the tank design to be completed by whoever's doing that... I forget who that is...
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#45 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 04:09 PM

Hey! It's training day!
Inspiration from GI Jane, Starship Troopers, Tigerland, Full Metal Jacket,
but first off, someone could write a breakfast scene! (Skip the shower scene, it's not that kind of a fic.) :D

We're also wide open for another X-INV spook squad report.

I was hoping Wormfist could have Worm write something about the tank AI integrating with Sanjay's work...and Slice realize he's fighting bots on QTF, not real people. Hopefully CP will squeeze in a rough scientist's briefing, even if it has to be bulked out by editing later.

I've some notes done towards a pilot briefing I want to write, and that'll set Doc up for his first flight in a Skyranger (without human cargo). And he's nominally on the list to fly back to Area 51 (Dreamland) to get the new Interceptor, which should be arriving about the time Gia's bandages come off.

Green gets to visit the range (one paragraph written), and I have to have him interact more with other characters, get some relationships established. Probably Poison's going to be in Squad B with him. Want to hear from Snikers. Also there's jogging outside for exercise (before it gets hot) and grenade pits outside as well.

I think after a mission or two, the core characters can be reorganized into one squad, hopefully after that losses will be minimal for a while.

Busy at work, but yes, next post is coming together.
JG
The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

#46 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 04:31 PM

Well it looks like someone knows what's going on then! Nice one JFish. Oh and I know this is the wrong place to mention it but I've finished making the surface level of Pine Gap. It's about two squre feet but it's big enough I think...

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#47 Snikers

Snikers

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 08:08 PM

By you want to hear from me did you mean you want to talk to me here or did you want me to write a
fanfic chapter?
Snikers Enterprises: Making you look good in comparison for over 50 years

#48 tftd fan

tftd fan

Former Scumbag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 09:56 PM

Hi there!

Tftd fan back on line after almost 6 hole monthes break!

It seams that the scenario has changed a bit since my last log in. By the way, i had to re-register, as Pete certainly wiped my registration form form the site.
So, what's up? Is the fic still up? Humm, am i still alive at the fic?

:D

#49 Tammy

Tammy

Her Imperial Majesty

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 10:03 PM

Hi tftd!  Welcome back!
We all had to re-register when Pete changed the forums.  Yes, the fic is still alive, but the UFO one has started over, and the Apoc one hasn't been transferred yet.

Oh, and TJ, some things confuse me about your fanfic post.  First, I don't think Ego is going by Ego Terrorist in this one, but I didn't check, so forgive me if I'm wrong.  Second, why is night falling already?  I'm pretty sure that the day just began about two posts ago, and I think some people might want to write about the first day of official training.
Queen and huntress, chaste and fair,
Now the sun is laid to sleep,
Seated in thy silver chair,
State in wonted manner keep:
Hesperus entreats thy light,
Goddess excellently bright.

#50 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 10:16 PM

Ah is he not? Ah well. I'm off to bed soon so sorry but I can't change it just yet but I'll do it first thing tomorrow. And the night that has just fallen is actually the last night if you follow me.
The fic needs rearranging slightly but again I'll se to that in the morning.
JFish was it you who posted the big bit about Rick moaning about women? If it was could you please copy the second half of it (if you follow me) and put it in another post. Just so the time follows more of a straight line!
And if it was someone else then could they do it please.

#51 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 03:20 PM

Ehh...

Could you maybe just reword it to be a morning meeting (10am?) and the spook-committee has the run of the base "for the rest of the day"? Recruitment interviews throughout the day? That way both you and the General will have had some sleep.

Also, I think the fic reads OK, but I felt a discrepancy between what the General would already know about alien hostility when he made his briefing speech and what he seems to learn from the briefing. Is he just playing his cards close to his chest? Love the impression the General makes on Pickering, though :)

Oh, and two square feet? That'll be hard to spot from the air ;)

Snikers, sorry, I just wanted to know if you had any intentions for your characters at this time before I started writing them into posts. Preferential squad positions, interactions, etc.

TFTD: Hi! Write a character into the Character forum and we'll write him/her in! How long do you want to be alive for?
:D

JG
The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

#52 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 03:57 PM

I think the General would already believe the aliebns to be hostile but he has no power to order a change of base operation. Therefore he waits to start training until he is absolutely sure that there WILL BE a change of operation. Now that there is so much evidence to say this will happen in the near future he is much more confident about beginning advanced training for his troops.
I'll have a look at the fic now and see if I can make it the morning but it means I'm going to have to delete a part of someone elses post...

#53 Crazy Photon

Crazy Photon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 06:44 PM

Well, I arrived at the base... so tomorrow you'll have the briefing (unless you want me to post twice today :D ).

#54 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 01:28 PM

Right after a little editing in the fic I've managed to make it a morning meeting but it's very early morning. (about 5am!) This is so that all of the soldiers are still sleeping. They'll be up at six I guess although the Commander may wake them sooner today for their briefing in which he'll tell them that they are starting their training today.
Bear in mind that they didn't know that JFish so I've had to take out the very last bit of your last post.
And Photon I read your post and edited it to read better as a story. It was in quite a script like format/. I've kept all of your story though and just bulked it out a little. Hope you don't mind! :D

#55 Crazy Photon

Crazy Photon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 05:58 PM

Never mind, I have absolutely no experience with writing fics, so I never expected it to be perfect ;)

Any more suggestions are welcome :)

*goes to see the modified post*

EDIT: (After seeing the post)

You surely have more imagination than I do about writing fics :D

I'll try to take it as a guide, so I can post the briefing in a better way :) I'll post it in the weekend so I have more time :)

One thing though: I'd never read something secret while finding my room, supposedly it's for my eyes only :)

#56 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 06:15 PM

I thought about that but I wanted to keep everything you wrote without changing it a lot. In your version he went straight from being in the command centre to being in his room. It just seemed a bit off to miss a big chunk and then only write two lines before the end of the post so I edited it a little. Feel free to alter if you wish.
And don't worry about what you write. Just try and stick to quotations and 'said Joe Bloggs' rather than 'Joe bloggs:' if you follow me.

#57 Crazy Photon

Crazy Photon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 06:21 PM

*downloads information into brain cortex matrix*

Suggestions taken sir! :D

And no, I won't alter it, it's only a small detail ;)
Well, to give some advance on the briefing, I'm planning on starting with laser weaponry first (as I usually do on the game)...

#58 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 06:35 PM

I'd say laser research is the logical first choice. After all that was what you were assigned for your knowledge of. Research can't start until the 1st of January though! And that can't happen until X-Inv becomes X-Com.
If you want an amusing background I had a random crazy thought yesterday that could be interesting. :D Just ask ;)

#59 Snikers

Snikers

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 08:28 PM

If you want you can pair up my character with that guys who seemed to dislike women, foreign countries AND books...

A little friction is a nice writing implement.
Snikers Enterprises: Making you look good in comparison for over 50 years

#60 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 12:19 PM

Thanks, Snik

Veteran, no probs on the meeting arrangement.

My view is:
On 1st Jan 1999, X-COM goes OPERATIONAL. That is, capable of responding to UFO sightings and landings. Aliens are presumed hostile, or at least cranky about being captured, but there's still a feeling they might be lightly armed research teams, rather than soldiers armed to the gills.
X-INV becomes a branch of X-COM.
For most of December 1998, X-COM has existed, but was busy preparing to go operational. X-INV continues to operate.

This is nearly the same thing as X-COM not existing, as far as the strategic game goes, but important for characters to know who they're working for; critically, there are no soldiers in X-INV.
We have soldiers:therefore those soldiers are in X-COM.

Thanks
JG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users