1760 replies to this topic

#1721 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

Right edit done so that's about up to date. Not sure if we're going to have Trigger's Hurricane as repairable but if not we're back down to one Hurricane I believe... We only have 3 hangars and one has the ranger in. Whatever the case we need to cover either replacing or repairing Trigger's downed craft.

I've left Ivan and the three corporals off the roster for now as I don't think we really need them anymore. Might be worth reintegrating them in the fic then killing some of them off sowe have no need for the others. Maybe the mad russian can redeem himself by saving one of the troopers he pish poshed at the party before he snuffs it while a replacement trooper and squad leader for Fitz's boys?

Just a thought. Not sure about Deet, don't remember the character or see any point to keep him really. Just tell me if anyone disagrees though!

And BB, post in the fic!
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#1722 Dumb_Commander

Dumb_Commander

Addicted to Fan Fiction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

View PostThe Veteran, on 18th February 2007, 12:25pm, said:

If you wanted to make him a proper character though DC just say the word and we'll take him off suicide watch.

No I won't take him off the suicide, but I prefer KIAWB (Killed in action with a bang)

~~~

"Why you little..." *Jason starts to strangle DC*

~~~

*Throws Jason of himself*

But I think I'll re-do Sergei Zaicev, so be prepared for some changes in the char fic.

"Grrr"

*Again Jason starts to strangle DC*

#1723 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:36 PM

We also found another of your characters, doesn't look like you ever introduced them. I forget the name, Japanese girl I think? If you want to use her though, even as filler, you can do!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#1724 Dumb_Commander

Dumb_Commander

Addicted to Fan Fiction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:02 PM

Yeah, but I'm not good at introducing female characters, so I'l give her to Queen Tammy, of course if she want's to. If not may someone else take her. Because I can't jugle multiple characters.

Oh yeah, I just edited Zaicev. But I can't think of a moment to introduce him. So I was thinking that some recruiter would recruit him and then I'll continue the rest. (I hope)

#1725 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:37 PM

Ok well as long as there's enough info BB may be able to do it in his upcoming post but I guess hat's more of an end post than a beginning. Maybe we can stick the new recruits into the first few posts of the next chapter...

#1726 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:56 PM

Nice one BB that's an awesome post and a great summary of chapter 2 Now we just need to find a good reliable 3rd person to be our regular poster no.3! I think you and I could write through a mission a week between us but what with the ideal 2 post minimum and this being a 'cooperative' work... We kinda need someone else!

So what's going on out there guys? Come get some!

Whatever happened to Full Auto and JFish anyway? They were always really good writers and quite regular at one point... Come on guys help us out :(

#1727 Alitorious

Alitorious

A snowstorm in space... who'da thunk it?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:05 AM

There we go - a post.

Doh! I forgot to cover Bighorn and Grizzly! I was gonna do that! Oh well, I'm not calling freeze on them. If anyone wants to cover them and get them back to base and make Ramson's jaw drop at the sight of a Hurricane then go ahead! :what:

I hope no one minds me starting a new topic. I figured that way you don't have to split chapter 2 apart from chapter 3.

An in case people miss it, I just put in there something about the laser guns. The switch does mean something more for the grunts to remember, but with the antiphoton stream turned off the laser's safe to use indoors - even as a cigar lighter if someone wants! :bleh: But of course the efficiency will go way down - it will use more power and do less damage.
Warning messages on a blaster launcher: "Warning, not responsible for loss of limbs, life, or familiy members through use of this device. Not to be taken orally. Some assembly required. Elerium not included. Do not operate without parental supervision. Do not use as a hairdryer. Not to be used as a toothpick. Blaster bombs sold seperately. Do not use while under the influence of alchohol or other drugs. Do not launch without setting waypoints. Not to be used as a flotation device. Do not dismantle Blaster Bombs. Hazard can be resulted from inproper use. Warning: Do not drop Blaster Bombs. Spontaneous detonation of Blaster Bombs can occur as a result of, but not limited to, the following: Impact, dissasembly, random bad luck, radiation, plasma fire, laser fire, and improper use or misuse. Blaster Bombs not to be used as a football. Not to be used on random animals including, but not limited to, gophers, pidgeons, hippopotami, stray dogs or cats, cockroaches, forum posters, forum admins, or lone unarmed sectoid soldiers."
----------
Come on over to the Fan Fiction section!

#1728 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

I thought I'd hold back on replying until I'd made another fic post of my own, but that seems to be taking longer then I'd expected. And I used to have lots of free time...  :bleh:

Anyway, as usual it's an excellent post, Alitorious. I've messed with the threads involved, so the old one is now locked.

Good job to you too, Alpha Monkey, but could you add some notes in the character thread? They'd come in handy!  :what:
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#1729 Alpha_Monkey

Alpha_Monkey

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:10 PM

Done and done. :bleh:

#1730 Alitorious

Alitorious

A snowstorm in space... who'da thunk it?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

Hey, I thought you and Vet were scheming to set up a 3-person fanfiction frenzy! Where'd you guys go? :bleh:

Lol, I just thought of something: We could have a contest for fanfiction posting.
Rules:
First post by an author (all authors are elegible after fanfic starts) is worth +2 points.
Posts with less than 1500 words (Maybe more/less?) are -1 points.
Posts with less than a two post buffer between the previous post of the same owner are worth -1 posts.
Posts with a two post buffer between the previous post are worth +3 points.
Posts with a three post buffer: +2 points
Posts with four post buffer: +1 point
Posts with five or more: 0 points.
If the post is in a good buffer range (2-4 post buffer) but has fewer than 1500 words, the post is still only worth -1. You don't get +2 buffer and -1 wordcount to get +1 points. It's -1.
If more than a month (30 days) passes between posts, the buffer penalty/bonus no longer applies, and the first person to post gets a first-post bonus (+2 points). A person can even double-post (0 post buffer) and get the +2 bonus.

In case that's a bit confusing, here's an example. Assume all posts have decent lengths (> 1500) with one exception.

Trigger Posts
Bomb Bloke Posts - First post: +2 points
Alitorious Posts - First post: +2 points
Trigger Posts - First post: +2 points
Alitorious Posts - 1 post buffer: -1 point
Bomb Bloke Posts - 3 post buffer: +2 points
Trigger Posts - 2 post buffer: +3 points
Alitorious Posts a short post (500 words) - 2 post buffer is overriden: -1 point.
<One month passes>
Trigger Posts - Buffer penalty overriden by month-duration. Trigger gets +2 points
<One month passes>
Bomb Bloke posts - 3 post buffer does not apply; Month-duration first-post bonus: +2 points
Trigger posts - Buffer penalty overriden by month-duration. Trigger gets +2 points.
Alit posts - 3 post buffer: +2 points.
<One month passes>
Alit posts - Buffer penalty overriden by month-duration first-post bonus: +2 points.
Bomb Bloke posts - 3 post buffer: +2 points.
Trigger posts: 3 post buffer: +2 point.

At the end of this:
BB: 8 points
Trigger: 11 points
Alit: 4 points

Scores are tallied and reset at the end of each chapter, winner gets, uh.... bragging rights? A toaster? :what:

The way it's set up, if there are exactly 3 people all posting in order, they start racking up the +3s quickly. If you get 4 or more people, there's competition to start churning out those posts faster so you get a +3 instead of a +2.
If posting stagnates, the +2 bonus is applicable to anyone, even double-posters!

The buffer also encourages people to wait their turn, unless the fic is slowing down then the MDFPB applies. That means that someone can keep the fic going all by their lonesome, but it takes a while. (Months between posts.)
Warning messages on a blaster launcher: "Warning, not responsible for loss of limbs, life, or familiy members through use of this device. Not to be taken orally. Some assembly required. Elerium not included. Do not operate without parental supervision. Do not use as a hairdryer. Not to be used as a toothpick. Blaster bombs sold seperately. Do not use while under the influence of alchohol or other drugs. Do not launch without setting waypoints. Not to be used as a flotation device. Do not dismantle Blaster Bombs. Hazard can be resulted from inproper use. Warning: Do not drop Blaster Bombs. Spontaneous detonation of Blaster Bombs can occur as a result of, but not limited to, the following: Impact, dissasembly, random bad luck, radiation, plasma fire, laser fire, and improper use or misuse. Blaster Bombs not to be used as a football. Not to be used on random animals including, but not limited to, gophers, pidgeons, hippopotami, stray dogs or cats, cockroaches, forum posters, forum admins, or lone unarmed sectoid soldiers."
----------
Come on over to the Fan Fiction section!

#1731 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

First post bonus!

I suppose I should explain my absence a bit. For the fall I was preoccupied with zombies, then for the spring it was dwarves, and I'd better hurry up and do something this summer before the baby jellyfish arrive in November. 'Cos I hear that takes up time too.

Anyway.

Comments to the authors/editors:
Snikers - love the "Night Stalker" dream sequence :) Let that be a lesson to the rest of you superheroes. :)
Ego Terrorist - Smart quotes must die. This didn't look right in Windows, Iso, or Unicode under IE7.
BB - As good as ever, nice closing Ch2.
Welcome, AlphaMonkey.

A dangerously big suggestion: I see Skonar has put up "Siege of New York", with my favorite and yours, Chryssies. I was wondering if we couldn't skip ahead in our own timeline a little, postulate a few developments and several new recruits, to where anyone who still wants to use old characters can - the 'vets' - while killing off FNG's at will :) "Why am I going first?" "Cos you're the FNG"

This would put squads into disarray, force us to agree on what technology got developed during the month of floater attacks, but the advantage is Chapter 3 would indeed be placed a month or two later than Chapter 2 and would allow us to engage in something new - snakeman/chryssie combat, maybe crosslink with Skonar - rather than rehashing the floater combat which we've just done.

Interested in putting it to a vote? Before I write in a "What happened between Buenos Aires and now" post? Or will we postpone it and fight off a Floater base assault?
The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

#1732 Snikers

Snikers

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:57 AM

As in, a time skip? I don't know...those always feel rather artificial to me. We could switch focus of the fanfic to technological and character developments for a bit (remember way back when, before Jan 1 1999 fic-time, when we wrote about our characters' interactions instead of blowing up aliens? Nah, me neither) and speed up time, while relegating missions to something that happens mostly off camera.

If the aliens lighten up a bit and we're just sent on UFO recovery missions, it's not impossible that we'd be coming home from a few missions without a boatload of deaths. After all, we know what we're going into now, so it's only natural a team of bright, adaptable, highly trained (most of us, anyway) best of the best soldiers would start making mincemeat of the smaller ships. That is, until we get a terror mission reporting horrible snake creatures...

Or, in the short form: we don't need to skip time, we can just relegate the missions to background.
Snikers Enterprises: Making you look good in comparison for over 50 years

#1733 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:17 AM

I don't think skipping a month will work - Yet. We've got a few human captives to interrogate etc and I'm not sure we can realistically do that by skipping a month.

Skipping some (if not all) missions, or the occasional day or three, works... That should allow us to quickly get to the next alien race (which could "conveniently" turn up right when the aforementioned matters have been completely dealt with). I can see Terrick's plot line alone eating up about a month, and I doubt that would take a lot of RL time to cover.

As for the quotes, they got stuffed up during one of the various forum upgrades. I'd recommend anyone using a MS Word or similar to paste their text into Notepad and then copy that into their forum posts, just in case it happens again.

#1734 Snikers

Snikers

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:40 PM

So...no time skip then?

Should we go ahead and write some new stuff?
Snikers Enterprises: Making you look good in comparison for over 50 years

#1735 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

Looks like it.

#1736 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

I can't believe I've been gone so long I'd forgotten about the fics :o Is it even worth me asking though :D

Who's still active and wants to write in these, cos if it looks like we can make a go of it then I'm in again...

#1737 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:50 AM

Oh, I've been planning on writing something any day now.

Of course, that's been true for about a year now.

Hmm.  :D

#1738 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:31 PM

So is it dead or does it just need a helping hand? We've tried before to make it work with just a few of us and it just doesn't work so we need to know that there are more than 2 people who would contribute if we revive this thing yet again!

#1739 Dumb_Commander

Dumb_Commander

Addicted to Fan Fiction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:59 AM

I'm here, waiting till someone gets back here. Besides I have more time now to surf the internet. Though I doubt I can contribute anything, I'am an amateur unlike the people here, c'mon just look at the fics the people who posted there, I can't even match them in writing an normal post.

#1740 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:19 PM

I had a post half done, then had to bugger off away from home for a month...

Still away, but got a chance to pick up my progress during a quick stopover trip this morning.  :oh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users