UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not really, we've only got 23 soldiers at the time of my last update so now we have a maximum of 22 without Ed. That means with the tank we only have enough to fill two skyrangers. Besides when we have that many characters that aren't even getting written for any more it just slows the fic down. Either people start writing for their own characters again (I know hypocritical!) or we just have a handful of filler chucked in there to form a new squad three or disperse around the base...

well yeah our intel guys are basically in one of those end of month funding meetings with the US because of the mission they carried out in Canada was it? The one with the mercenaries anyway... Obviously the man won't like XCom shooting up his country but he'll still be pleased to know they're beating the aliens at least on his home territory.

Not sure we've got too much to need to discuss it in here but by all means go ahead. That's what this thred is for! But really the fic moves pretty much anyway the writer wants it to so really its up to whoever posts next!

• 2 months later...

Finally back in bussines, with a smoking gun in the left hand and a dead sectoid in the backpack.

-~-

I think I should restart, fully. Delete all my characters in this fic and all my posts.

~-~

And some one give me a recap (BIG recap, a really big recap.) So my little chimpanzee brain would understand.

Indeed, I agree. This one's long enough.

I've been planning on posting for a bit, but I want to finish off my (way out of date) summary pages first.

I've already got the rosters filled up again, but though I've assigned units to squads, it's still open as to which troops can go where.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to know at least this thread is still active :( Nice to see an update on the summary thread too BB but you've missed the mission we've just had and possibly the snowy mercenary mission but that may be the landed UFO fog one is it?

Also which characters are new filler as that list shows us as having over 30 troopers and I'm sure that's not right... Ed Dodge is dead which isn't shown and Fitz is in serious medbay pain which isn't either. Not sure about the rest of squad 3 or 2 for that matter...

Tell you what I'll do a bit of a cursory edit for you with the changes I'm certain about then we can figure the rest out as we go along :(

Anyhoo, I'm going to try and wrap up this mission and maybe finish the chapter so I'm going to need some time to think :D Next time you see me on msn gimme a buzz dude :)

Edit done, down to 27 troops, still way more than I thought though so I guess we can reinstate squad three but Fitzy'll be out of it for quite some time...

We need to get together and rejig the squads BB that's be good.

Ooh and a few bits of code are slightly out of place so you'll need to shuffle them back when you can please :(

A post! And a decently long one, too!

*runs out and dances in the street*

I've been meaning to make one of my own for some time now. I'd've still preferred to have two posts between each of mine, and this solves that nicely. Shows what happens if you have patience. :(

If you wanna know where the soldiers are coming from, check the character list in my heads up thread. It'll show you the post in which each unit was introduced.

The reason why the latest mission isn't mentioned is because that thing is so far out of date, that my last update covered an entire year of posts - And I've still got another years worth to go. Right up the top you can see the last post covered: On 19/02/2006.

Fitz was last seen active on clean up duty in the snow field. He's still injured I think (cuts, bumps and bruises), but doesn't seem to like the med bay much.

Ah it said 2006 did it? I must've got confused and thought you'd updated it 19th Feb this year. :( Today isn't it??...

Anyhoo I stuck what I #think# is the most recent mission in for you as well as Terrick getting nicked and old Ed not being able to dodge quite everything the world throws at him!

I took DCs characters off the roster too but haven't edited the posts as I'm not sure which is which!!!

Enough about that though, post now wherever you may be! I am the lord of the fic says me :(

Sorry guys double posting but just a quick update so people don't get confused. I've sorted DCs predicament and deleted three Charlie Urgon posts and one Charlies reference but I've left Jason Bass in as it gives us more filler for a future mission. If you wanted to make him a proper character though DC just say the word and we'll take him off suicide watch :(

He needs to go back in the heads up BB but not sure if he has a squad yet. I believe before I took him out of it yesterday he was in Squad 2.

Right well here's what I come out with for squads after a brief comparison between heads up, summary and quick ref. And this is going by two full squads and whoever's left over so we'll see at the end if we have enough for 3 :(

Squad 1

Richard 'Rick' Osmond Chez "Ping"

Tamara 'Tammy' Hilliard

Tim Day

Jack Donovan "Ripper"

Johann Ibsen

Robert 'Bob' Jennings "Stump"

Ki-Tat Chung

NEED 3 MORE FILLER

OFF SICK

Jack Thomas

Jack Howitz

Squad 2

Hiroshi Escalante "Hero"

Gregory 'Greg' Conner "Ghost"

Kilam Chung "Tank"

Karl Green

Cleo Andrews "Poison"

Christel Keller "Mouse"

Bernard Dujardin "Gardener"

Norton Wexford "Stick"

Nathaniel Jacobson "Hankosha"

NEED 1 MORE FILLER

Squad 3

Rocio Lee "Dragon"

Paul Jasper

Samuel 'Sam' Thomas "Shades"

Duc Van Vinh "Duck"

Vladimir Lenin "Iosevich"

Isaac Rubenstein "Brick"

NEED 4 MORE FILLER

Currently unassigned

Gaston Duchante HEAVY INJURIES

Alexander Fitzwilliams "Fitz" HEAVY INJURIES

Igor Zhandovich "Sandy" HEAVY INJURIES

Jack Thomas "Warlord" HEAVY INJURIES

Jack Howitz "Bomber" LIGHT INJURIES

Other Characters

Fairly certain;

General Stan Genega "Knight" BASE COMMANDER

Jenny Graham BASE SECRETARY

John 'Pickers' Pickering "Ego Terrorist" INTEL (X-INV)

Daniel "Photon" Gomez SCIENTIST

Patrick Zager SCIENTIST

Dana Farber SCIENTIST

Valerie 'Val' Deacon INTEL (X-INV)

Christopher Black "Vampire" BIO-SCIENTIST

Ricky Van der Wal "Worm" HACKER/PROGRAMMER

Daniel Morlone "Psawhn" SCIENTIST

Pios "Slice" Alparada HACKER/PROGRAMMER

Paul Johnson INTEL (XINV)

Lieutenant Dan Forrester XTC AERIAL DIVISION

Lieutenant Terrance Garvy HEAD OF RECRUITMENT

Sanjay Deet "Sleepy" ANY RELATION TO CYNTHIA DIETRICH?

Cpl. Berndt Rheinhauser TRAINING CPLS DO WE STILL NEED THEM?

Cpl. Aoba "Psycho" Seiko TRAINING CPLS DO WE STILL NEED THEM?

Cpl. Charlie Wales TRAINING CPLS DO WE STILL NEED THEM?

Ivan Tolstovich "The Mad Russian" THE GUY FROM NEW YEAR, WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?

Pilots

Tim J Munt "Trigger"

Gia O'Connor "Raven"

Rhysling Davies "Grizzly"

Donald Ramson "Bighorn"

Sean France "Doc"

Frank Cheeseman "Cheese"

This should cover everyone who I think is important, its therefore slightly longer than I perhaps anticipated but hey!

Paul Jasper is confusing for me I must admit, is he the guy in Washington or is he in a squad? Or is he supposed to be on a squad but is in Washington anyway... I seem to remember a fairly recent "though about how he should have been with his comrades" line at some point was that him?

Anyway someone help me out with that would be good and also the 'uncertain other characters' I need some help with...

Only other thing to do is get some new filler in while Warlord and Bomber are laid up and to plump out the other squads too. We need to think about getting Fitz back in control of his squad too but might be a while still. Not sure about Gaston, Brick and Sandy, should they be healed by now? The terror mission seemed a long time ago now...

Input!!!!

Christopher Black is a bio-scientist. Does autopsies on the aliens.

Jasper is a soldier, but got shanghaied by Pickering for his overseas mission.

Worm and Slice are two of a kind, hackers in the R&D section. Because he put a lot of work into the tank AI, Slice remotely controls them in battle. Eventually they'll be fully autonomous, as there's been talk of them being nearly ready to respond to voice commands.

Morlone is the guy who got cursed with motion scanner development, though along with the rest of the techs he's been sidelined into alien artifact research. Usually seen hanging around with Dana. Go back a page or so in the fic, he turns up lots of times before this mission just past.

I've got a vague memory that Sanjay became the X-Com DJ between aircraft maintanance jobs. Don't think he's appeared in chapter 2. No relationship to Cynthia.

I think Garvy only appears to welcome new troopers to the base, but he's only popped up twice or thrice, if that.

Ivan is in charge of all training, and hasn't turned up for a bit as we haven't had any training related posts. He did have a squad run an obsticle course while under fire from live ammo.

Fitz took over the training of his own squad, but the other teams are still under their respective corporals. Though whether Wales will steal his job back while he's injured is an open topic.

Johnson is under Pickering. Most likely he's in charge of intel while his boss is away.

Forrester is in charge of the aireal division. Hangers, aircraft, and of course pilots.

Captain Donald "Bighorn" Ramson is a new fighter pilot recruit who arrived just prior to squad 1 leaving for Buenos Aires. Might like to add him to your list. He's technically met Grizzly (as they shared a flight back to base, any conversations they might have had are undocumented), but other then that he doesn't know the pilots.

I'm afraid I have no idea how many active Hurricanes we have, but your last post on the subject put the figure at three.

Brick is out of med. I'll have to look up Sandy to see where he should be; I've got him down in my notes as alive and well... :(

Though Jennings may have a scratch or two. :(

Right edit done so that's about up to date. Not sure if we're going to have Trigger's Hurricane as repairable but if not we're back down to one Hurricane I believe... We only have 3 hangars and one has the ranger in. Whatever the case we need to cover either replacing or repairing Trigger's downed craft.

I've left Ivan and the three corporals off the roster for now as I don't think we really need them anymore. Might be worth reintegrating them in the fic then killing some of them off sowe have no need for the others. Maybe the mad russian can redeem himself by saving one of the troopers he pish poshed at the party before he snuffs it while a replacement trooper and squad leader for Fitz's boys?

Just a thought. Not sure about Deet, don't remember the character or see any point to keep him really. Just tell me if anyone disagrees though!

And BB, post in the fic!

If you wanted to make him a proper character though DC just say the word and we'll take him off suicide watch.

No I won't take him off the suicide, but I prefer KIAWB (Killed in action with a bang)

~~~

"Why you little..." *Jason starts to strangle DC*

~~~

*Throws Jason of himself*

But I think I'll re-do Sergei Zaicev, so be prepared for some changes in the char fic.

"Grrr"

*Again Jason starts to strangle DC*

Yeah, but I'm not good at introducing female characters, so I'l give her to Queen Tammy, of course if she want's to. If not may someone else take her. Because I can't jugle multiple characters.

Oh yeah, I just edited Zaicev. But I can't think of a moment to introduce him. So I was thinking that some recruiter would recruit him and then I'll continue the rest. (I hope)